Shootings in Chattanooga and Cleveland?!?!

That is a very legitimate concern...I've read stories about stuff like that happening. If you aren't wearing a uniform and you are carrying a weapon like that when the cops show up they aren't going to just say "oh hey thanks for helping out"...you'll more than likely be face first on the ground and maybe even in hand cuffs until they get it all sorted out.

Yes, it's a legitimate concern but I think LEO is used to having to deal with that sort of thing. If you follow their commands when they get on site you may find yourself cuffed, but alive, instead of dead in a chalk line.
  • Like 1

That is a very legitimate concern...I've read stories about stuff like that happening. If you aren't wearing a uniform and you are carrying a weapon like that when the cops show up they aren't going to just say "oh hey thanks for helping out"...you'll more than likely be face first on the ground and maybe even in hand cuffs until they get it all sorted out.

That's the pleasant outcome to that scenario.  A bigger worry is being identified as a threat and fired upon with bad results.

• Like 1

That's the pleasant outcome to that scenario.  A bigger worry is being identified as a threat and fired upon with bad results.

Yessir that is most certainly the worst case scenario but an equal possibility. A similar real life scenario was used when I took my CCW course for Tennessee...they had a live recording of a guy who called the cops about a break in next door to his house. He called it in and said if the cops didn't get there soon he was going outside with a gun. Officer on the phone told him not to do that but he decided to jump in and "take control" anyway. What he did not know is that plain clothes officers were already there...the cops obviously didn't know who was the bad guy and who wasn't...they were just looking for some guys with guns that were robbing a house and he fit the profile at that point.

Edited by tennesseetiger
  • Like 1

Saw this reposted on a friend's twitter a little while ago, didn't realize it was near real time!

My prayers go out to the victims and their families. :(

CKDG500WIAAze7y.jpg

Clearly the gun buster sign did its job. It's magical powers kept the bad guy from bringing a gun into a gun free zone. Now if we can just create bullet free zones we will be even safer.
  • Like 4

Press conference going on now.  Killian said that they will answer what questions they can.  Haslem is thankful for the work the FBI is doing.  Corker says Chattanooga is a great city. Thanks the outstanding LEOs working on the case.  Basically, blah, blah,blah.  Not sure why they even showed up.  Now the Mayor is speaking.  More blah, blah, blah.

Now Ed Reinhold is answering questions.  No idea what the motive was and there are no ties to overseas groups.  But they are at the beginning of the investigation with three crime scenes to evaluate. The are checking every possible lead.  They have no determined the cause of death of the shooter.  Started shooting at Lee Hwy, moved to the Naval Op Center, where he existed his vehicle and entered the facility and was involved in gunfire there.  Department of Defense will be releasing the names of those service members wounded and killed.  CPD is not going to release to release the wounded officers name.  Shooter entered the facility not the building.  The FBI will not discuss the weapons involved at this time.  No one else is in custody.  And then Reinhold ended the press conference.

Press conference going on now.  Killian said that they will answer what questions they can.  Haslem is thankful for the work the FBI is doing.  Corker says Chattanooga is a great city. Thanks the outstanding LEOs working on the case.  Basically, blah, blah,blah.  Not sure why they even showed up.  Now the Mayor is speaking.  More blah, blah, blah.

Now Ed Reinhold is answering questions.  No idea what the motive was and there are no ties to overseas groups.  But they are at the beginning of the investigation with three crime scenes to evaluate. The are checking every possible lead.  They have no determined the cause of death of the shooter.  Started shooting at Lee Hwy, moved to the Naval Op Center, where he existed his vehicle and entered the facility and was involved in gunfire there.  Department of Defense will be releasing the names of those service members wounded and killed.  CPD is not going to release to release the wounded officers name.  Shooter entered the facility not the building.  The FBI will not discuss the weapons involved at this time.  No one else is in custody.  And then Reinhold ended the press conference.

Yea I'm watching it too...they wont say what kind of guns he had but they did say he had multiple weapons.

Yeah, it's this kind of stuff that keeps me carrying full-frame big autos instead of J Frames and PPK's. Actually I've often thought of carrying an AR in my truck, but haven't convinced myself that I've worked out all the problems with doing that. We'll see. With my luck, as soon as somebody saw the AR I'd be misidentified as the shooter and get shot by responding police.

Me too. I've been carrying the G19 a lot lately. I've used it extensively in 3gun, and I feel a lot more comfortable with it than my small 9's. It gets annoying wearing it sometimes though.

I almost always have an AR in the truck. The scenario of being misidentified is a very real concern. If it's ever needed, I think it would be a good idea to put it away as soon as the threat is gone. Responding LEOs would probably have a strong expectation bias if they encountered anyone standing there with an AR as they roll up to a shooting call.
  • Like 2

So just a carbon copy of what they said earlier.

I'll give it less than 12hrs before we hear the anti-gun-outlaw-automatic weapons BS from a liberal politician or news pundit.

Can't let another crisis go waste.

You're probably right, but I don't think this shooting is a really good platform for the politicians to preach gun control. The Administration will probably want this one to disappear into the night because it's terrorism on U.S. Soil. I think beating the drums of gun control on this just opens questions about the military not being armed, a no gun sticker already on the door, where was the intelligence on this guy and family, ISIS tweeted about it, etc. I think it will be perceived differently than just some loon that shoots the place up. JMHO anyway
  • Like 1

CNN just said that according to LEOs that they have talked to, the weapon that was used was an AK-47 type weapon (their words).

Listening to the recordings it sounded like an AK or similar slow rythm firing rifle.

That's the pleasant outcome to that scenario. A bigger worry is being identified as a threat and fired upon with bad results.

I came too close to shooting a knucklehead who ran outside of his apartment with gun in hand to catch a possible burglar. Everyone else was looking for the burglar when knucklehead comes walking up with a raised gun. Idiot thought it was funny seeing how pissed off I was, never understood I was halfway through the trigger pull stroke on my revolver. Over 20 years ago and remember it way to well. Edited by TNWNGR
  • Like 1
This is why I ALWAYS have a long gun with me and several handguns. Not a chance in hell I would stand by an allow people to die, especially service members.

Honestly I am surprised it is not happening more often. Well maybe it is but it is being reported as something other than a terrorist attack. I am REALLY surprised we have not seen an IED yet but I bet they will be used here at some point.

ISIS is going to take credit for ANY attack they can to give themselves legitimacy as the great infidel fighter. And as more are martyred it will only encourage others to do the same. Realize we are fighting people who are willing to die for their religion. We have not seen the last of these attacks. I hope I am wrong but I suspect along with the Muslims we are going to see groups like the Black Panthers, as well as other hate groups, become more brazen and randomly attacking innocents as well.

As far as radicalized Muslims goes it isn't just those but the problem is also the vast majority of other moderate Muslims not speaking out against or condemning the actions of the radicals. Do not believe for a second that they would not side with fellow Muslims if they knew there would not be any ramifications for doing so. Just because they are "good" Muslims does not mean they like us or that they would not side with fellow Muslims. It just means they are tolerating us until they have the strength of their fellow Muslims.

We have an estimated 2.77 million Muslims in this country. If only 10% have radical views that is still 277,000. That is a SIGNIFICANT number of people who want infidels dead. And even if only 1% of the radicalized Muslims decided to act that is still 2,770 radicals wanting non believers dead. That is 55 per state and if we divide that between our three major cities that is ~18 attackers. Imagine the carnage 18 well armed terrorists could cause in Knoxville. And that is a very, very conservative estimate of radicalized Muslims in America.
  • Like 8

There is an FBI office downtown.

Yes, you have a "satellite office there",  but it's not a field office, may even be just one agent and a secretary or three, dunno.

And yeah, I guess somebody might have showed up there from there first, or not, might have been told to wait for Reinhold the cheese et al to get down from Knoxville. Hamilton County is in the Knoxville jurisdiction:

https://www.fbi.gov/knoxville/contact-us/territory-jurisdiction

Now of course there's specialty Gmen and other agencies' spooks from all over the country there.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yes, but the AK "sounds" slower in its rhythmic fire as compared to an AR. I may be wrong, but it just has a distinctive sound.

CNN is reporting that it was an AK-47 (type) rifle. Should I paint my MAK-90 rainbow colors so the anti's wont try to ban it?

Oh crap, with that Dragonov stock it's all black also.

Edited by K191145

CNN is reporting that it was an AK-47 (type) rifle. Should I paint my MAK-90 rainbow colors so the anti's wont try to ban it?

You've had too much to think. A rainbow "assault" weapon is a bit too much freedom for a mere prole to metabolize. Re-education in Room 101 may be your only salvation from becoming unpersoned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

You've had too much to think. A rainbow "assault" weapon is a bit too much freedom for a mere prole to metabolize. Re-education in Room 101 may be your only salvation from becoming unpersoned.

Ah but i'll just claim that my MAK-90 is a lesbian, it will be a catch 22 situation for them and they wouldn't be able to decide to ban it or celebrate it.

Ah but i'll just claim that my MAK-90 is a lesbian, it will be a catch 22 situation for them and they wouldn't be able to decide to ban it or celebrate it.

Transgendered is hot right now, you might score the Arthur Ashe Courage Award.

- OS

• Like 4

Transgendered is hot right now, you might score the Arthur Ashe Courage Award.

- OS

Better yet, maybe a cis male lesbian "trapped" in a MAK-90's body. Pun intended.

• Like 1