PICO LCP, TCP, BodyGuard, Kel-Tec ???

kieefer

I've been considering a real pocket .380 mouse gun such as in the size of the PICO and LCP ect.

I really haven't been a fan of this size except for my P238 that I usually have it in an ankle holster but in this hot weather I've been leaving it behind. I think I'd be happier with something in my back pocket or thinner and lighter on my ankle.  

So, if you have opinions of each or have tried them and found one over the other to be more reliable and comfortable to carry all the time I'd like to hear. 

I'm kinda favoring the Pico but read quite a few issues with early models, don't know of anyone with hands- on experiences.

Cheers  :usa:

Question, have you thought about a Bersa Thunder? I shot one several times and loved it and almost bought one before I got my LCR.

The thunder isn't anywhere close to the size of the rest. It's much larger and heavier.

I actually just went through the same decision process and ended up with an LCP Custom. I'm happy with my choice.

• Like 1

I had an LCP, but I traded it several months back for a p238.  It's not quite as small and light as the LCP, but it's close enough that I'm willing to put up with the slight increases in order to get much better sights -- and with the Hogue wraparound grips, a much better purchase on the gun.  I'd probably just keep the Sig and try to make it work.  But of the other options you mentioned, I'd probably go with either a 2nd gen LCP or one of the new Custom models.  I'd say right now the 2nd generation models can probably be had pretty inexpensively...

• Like 1

Question, have you thought about a Bersa Thunder? I shot one several times and loved it and almost bought one before I got my LCR.

Yes, I have one and the BP9cc. I've thought about the CC model Thunder but as xjsnake mentioned.... 

The thunder isn't anywhere close to the size of the rest. It's much larger and heavier.

I actually just went through the same decision process and ended up with an LCP Custom. I'm happy with my choice.

Yep you're right.

The BP9cc is closer to the LC9 and I actually like the Bersa better. The new LC9s would be worth a comparison but I really like my BP9. I'm usually have that Bersa on my hip if not a snub-nose.

Edited by kieefer

I've got a P3AT and have shot an LCP several times. The LCP is much smoother, both in appearance and function. My P3AT is perfectly functional and I carry it a lot, but the LCP is just nicer.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

LCP rather than the P3AT, it's just more nicely put together. I can't say anything nice about the Bodyguard but I really like the PICO, even if it's a bit larger than the LCP. I kind of like the TCP but not enough to want to buy one. Of all the above I own and regularly carry an LCP, have owned and carried a P3AT and I lust after the PICO. But if your going to go the PICO route then the G-42 comes into the equation as a comparison.  

• Like 1

I had an LCP, but I traded it several months back for a p238.  It's not quite as small and light as the LCP, but it's close enough that I'm willing to put up with the slight increases in order to get much better sights -- and with the Hogue wraparound grips, a much better purchase on the gun.  I'd probably just keep the Sig and try to make it work.  But of the other options you mentioned, I'd probably go with either a 2nd gen LCP or one of the new Custom models.  I'd say right now the 2nd generation models can probably be had pretty inexpensively...

Well, I had the LC9, early model and sold and bought the P238. The Sig is really nice and I'm starting to see some wear, kinda hate that since it's such a nice pistol.

[URL=http://s779.photobucket.com/user/richarddacat/media/MISC/IMG_0766.jpg.html]IMG_0766.jpg[/URL]

+1 on finding deals on used LCP's

Pico's ??? anyone tried that one?

• Like 1

what about a kel tec p32 or other 32?   The gains you get from a slightly smaller 380 will be minimal, you might need to consider a smaller caliber?

The latest generation of rugers has had a somewhat better trigger in some of their copied models.  Last couple I tried were actually pretty good for a dao.

I don't have the pico but I do have the nano.   I didn't like it much; its stashed as an emergency weapon.  I had high hopes of it being a true left handed weapon (and it does that pretty well) but the trigger just feels like trying to slide two gravel over each other.  And that is after tons of shooting it... it just won't smooth out.

I'd rather stick with .380 just because I don't want to add another caliber to my stash.

I need to handle some and revisit Hickok45 for his thoughts too and generally do some shopping. I don't think I can go wrong because there's a lot on nice small pistols out there.

A used LCP would be a good bet too since I'm likely to treat it a little rough over buying a new Pico.

• Like 1
I feel like Bersa guy saying this but why not try the Thunder cc with a good owb holster you wont even know its there. Besides range time would be a bit more enjoyable as well. Just a thought.
I have a P3AT and a P238. Both are reliable, easy to carry and surprisingly accurate. The P3AT was not reliable at first, and I had to do some serious "fluff and buff" to get it to function. It has been 100% reliable for several hundred rounds since then, but I still have a trust issue with it. The Sig is fun to shoot, but does not disappear as easily as the the smaller P3AT. the P3at is not fun to shoot, but it is the right size/weight for a true pocket carry imo. The LCP is a nicer version of the P3AT, and I think I would enjoy it more. The Kahr CW380 or P380 is a very nice option, too.

I will probably upgrade from my P3AT to an LCP or Kahr 380 at some point.
I'm not a big Taurus guy but I love my TCP, IMO the trigger makes that gun. I've spent some time with the LCP as well and I prefer the TCP, although my TCP needed a little bit of tweaking to run right. I've spent some time with the Bersa thunder .380 and the CC, and there is no way I would put either in the same class as the LCP or TCP, IMO the Bersa is heavy for its size, I nearly never carry mine because I have other options that are smaller, lighter, have a higher capacity and are a larger caliber.

IMO for simplicity and size the LCP is hard to beat.  There are several guns that are better looking, have better sights and triggers, but for a pocket gun and close range self-defense why 'over think' the thing.  Simple, inexpensive, effective and very convenient means LCP to me.

I'll ditto 10-Ring on the TCP, except mine didn't need any tweaking.  Mine's a black stainless "B" model (the last digit of the serial #) and has functioned great from the first mag full.  I've heard reports that some of the A models needed some adjustment as 10-ring says, but I suppose Taurus worked that out.  It belongs to my wife now, but lately she's been wanting to carry something heavier.  If you want a perfect sized belly gun, I give the TCP high marks.

Edited by gun sane
I carry the p3at in my back pocket. Have been for many mango seasons. A good pocket leather holster is the trick. I drop a second mag in my front pocket. I got my kel tec long before ruger came out with the lcp (little copy pistol). Never had any problems. It gets wet each day in the summer. It just works and I have to change holsters every day.

I have owned an LCP and S&W Body Guard w/ Lazer both in 380 and I would much rather carry the LCP for pocket gun. Very dependable gun. Took it and Body Guard to the range and shot both and even though both performed great I would still choose the LCP for pocket carry............jmho