Autonomous Cars

SupaRice

Why is everyone so facinated with this? I mean, from a pure tech standpoint I get it... it's a cool challenge and has some interesting applications aside from every day commuting.

I'm sure the self-exalted-silicon-valley-douchebag types that run companies like Apple, Google, Tesla all believe it's because they can save fuel, time, lives (number of fatalities). And it's up to them to save the world you know.... And yes, that's a stereotype.... but one reinforced by every one of those hipster aholes I meet. Yes you're smart, but you're still a libtard prick.

/endRant

But seriously, I'm not even remotely interested in a car that drives itself, are any of you? Who are they going to sell these to?! Or will hillary and Elizabeth Warren make us buy one of these to be able to use a public road?

I just don't get it... Edited by SupaRice

I can't wait for them to become widespread. Think about the amount of time many of us spend in our cars each day. What if you could use that time for something else? All those excuses I have about not doing X because I don't have time....What if I got 2 hours a day back from my self-driving car? There's no reason the interiors can't be anything we want (within reason for safety). Put in a stationary bike, a TV, a couch, a desk, a bed, a hot tub. Why not?

Edited by monkeylizard

This was my exact thought as I was reading the OP. It can get scary out there while on the bike.

I haven't ridden since I moved back to middle Tennessee.  The bikes are either gone, are for sale, or will be for sale after I finish one that is a project.  Drivers are way worse here than in East Tennessee, not saying that the ones in East Tennessee are good, part of the problem here is that there is more traffic volume.  That issue paired with the fact that I have to travel an hour to find a decent road did it for me.  There is no way I would commute the 8 miles to work, too congested, too many people not paying attention. 

I worked in unmanned systems for a long time.   Ground vehicles are hard, esp using the road where idiots can hit them.  I would use one on long trips... absolutely.  I get bored driving and the idea of a machine doing the work while I hang on the internet or read a book is win for me.   I wouldn't use it on short trips like going to work, but those long stretches of interstate... yea.    Make the car a luxury ride and its looking even better.  And then there is the millennium winebago ... sleep, eat, LIVE in the thing while it gets you there.     A futuristic car wouldn't have a driver's seat at all, all that room could be reclaimed into a better seating arrangement or bed or whatever.   

That said, I wouldn't want one until its much more proven.   It needs to be able to avoid accidents, not just navigate.   A 4 wheel steering system for rapid / ultra control would be useful for that.     Its getting better, but its not ready for prime-time yet.  

Husqvarna makes one that is rated to do 1.5 acres. Rumor has it that iRobot (the Roomba people) will have one out soon.

Had to look that up.  If this thing actually worked, it would be well worth the $5k price tag.  Said usage was estimated at 56kwh per month on 1.5 acres, but I would have to see one in person running on real country yards and not sod or turf of some sort.

lawnmower should be much easier.   it just records the boundaries and obstacles and goes across everything inside the bounded area.   Or you can just drive it once and have it record that, and repeat it.  If this is not in use somewhere, I would be amazed ... industrial farming screams for it.

Had to look that up.  If this thing actually worked, it would be well worth the $5k price tag.  Said usage was estimated at 56kwh per month on 1.5 acres, but I would have to see one in person running on real country yards and not sod or turf of some sort.

How about for less than half that price?

$2399.95 http://www.electricgeneratordepot.com/husqvarna-1-5-acre-robotic-automower?google=1&CAWELAID=230006220000003322&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CLm926XhncgCFUY7gQodrDIHgQ

Not sure what the actual "range" is on it. That site says 1.5 acres, but I've seen others that say .35 acres. Either way, if it doesn't finish, it goes home and recharges, then finishes. I have to say that it's tempting.

Edited by monkeylizard
I welcome self driving cars. Drivers are morons. If the car followed the rules of the road while Suzy Soccer Mom texted away it would save hours on the road, tons in emissions and billions in car maintenance/repairs. Not to mention the quality of life increase from lack of stress and reclaimed time.

I would just hide a Red Barchetta in a barn somewhere.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Insurance companies will drive people into these things.  The difference in insurance rates is expected to be quite dramatic; not initially but as the technology develops.

I have adaptive cruise control on my my main vehicle - it is amazing - set it for 5 miles an hour over the speed limit (or whatever speed you want) and sit back and let the car slow down and speed up along with traffic, while maintaining a safe following distance. It will brake the vehicle down to a full stop and then start back up again following traffic (or no traffic) up to the maximum speed I have set.  Speed limit changes, I change the adaptive cruise control limits up or down accordingly.  It makes driving in traffic amazingly less stressful!!