Sks or 9mm carbine

bayouvol

SKS solely because it may be used to take deer.  The merits of each could be argued for HD, and personally I'd lean towards the 9mm for HD for several reasons.  It's shorter and easier to handle in close quarters, it has a light recoil, it's not as loud, and it's a light yet adequate round.  I'm sure someone will come along and talk about what a great deer round 9mm is, deer have been killed with less for sure, that doesn't mean that it is a good idea to do it. 

Just sayin, ARs can be had around $500 now. Maybe a little less if you try hard enough. Some argue acceptable for deer around 100yds or a little more. Accessories are dirt cheap right now, too. If you were thinking of possible 7.62x39 for possible HD scenario, then penetrating multiple walls in obviously not a concern, so .223/5.56 is still ok. As for the possible deer hunting, I feel comfortable in saying that in general you will probably find noticeably greater accuracy potential with the AR platform than the SKS.

My 2 cents :-)
  • Like 1

If it were strictly HD, I would go with the 9mm carbine.  But if I wanted to take deer with it too, I would get the SKS.  I know several people that hunt with one and they love the SKS for deer. You could take a deer up to 150 yards with one.  You want do that with a 9mm.

All that being said, the prices on a SKS that I am seeing now-a-days are in the realm of a cheap AR.  You can build and AR today for around $475 out the door.  That's using PSA's Freedom Rifle kit  for $399.99 ( http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-rifle-kit.html ) and their blem lower for $49.99 +tax, transfer and BGC ( http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/10445/ ).  If you are patient, you can get it even cheaper.

Remington Versa Max Tactical. 8-Slugs for deer and HD.   :)

I want one.

Why not a .45 carbine? Hornaday Critical Defense 230gr+P., around 1000 fps from a 4" barrel, should get 1100+ from a 16". I bet that would take down a deer.

Can't go wrong with an SKS either. 

Edited by K191145

SKS first. Or even better get an AK. 7.62 is a fun round to shoot and there is plenty of aftermarket accessories made for those guns. When did they change it to any centerfire versus the caliber size? I haven't hunted in years I hadn't heard of the change.

SKS first. Or even better get an AK. 7.62 is a fun round to shoot and there is plenty of aftermarket accessories made for those guns. When did they change it to any centerfire versus the caliber size? I haven't hunted in years I hadn't heard of the change.

It has been within the past five years or so.

I'm assuming the OP hopes to put a deer down pretty quick and not have to chase him/her for hundreds of yards through the woods, it's hard to see a 9mm doing that. I always thought if SHTF and I was going to kill a deer on my property, which I see often, I want it to drop as quick as possible. If it doesn't it's on one of my neighbors property. I would probably use a 12 gauge slug from my 870, it would be a close,(30 yard) shot anyway, I should get a good hit.

• Like 1
For an entry model 9mm, you'll spend under $300 and be a HP owner. I ran my 995 in a Randy class and it functioned perfectly (also available in. 40 and .45)

For an upgrade from HP to a heavier duty semi auto pcc, your price point now creeps up to $600-$800

I like having my carbine in the same caliber as my handguns, I am confident with home defense and plinking, but hunting out to 30-50 yards with a pistol caliber = precise shot placement.

but hunting out to 30-50 yards with a pistol caliber = precise shot placement.

That's why I think a .73"-1oz ball of soft lead at 1200fps in the vitals(kill zone) should be pretty traumatic, more so that any pistol caliber. But, deer have been shot through the heart with a 30-06 and ran some distance before dropping so nothing is 100%

Besides, everyone should have a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun of some brand, even before they have a handgun or rifle.

Edit: I just watched 3 you tube video's of deer being shot with a slug, they all ran some but the longest run 60 yards. I'm going to search for video's with deer shot with pistol calibers.

Edited by K191145

I had two Yugo SKSs that were un-issued back in the day when you could get them for $199.......sold them both, unfired. Was never impressed with the SKS.

Look to Ruger Mini 30.

How could you develop an opinion if you never shot one? Mini 30 over an SKS? That's just crazy talk.
  • Like 2

How could you develop an opinion if you never shot one? Mini 30 over an SKS? That's just crazy talk.

I have had a few SKS's, I have my brothers SKS over here now, it has a cheapo Norinco scope mounted and I can keep a 2" groupe at 100 yards with it. 7.62x39 is "close" to the 30-30 in ballistics, not quite as much but close I hear. I wouldn't hesitate to take a 100 to 150 yard shot at a deer with it, with the right ammo. An SKS is a good reliable rifle, you can add higher capacity mags, sometimes you have to alter the feed lips on a mag but I have done that with no problem. Also there's plenty of aftermarket stocks, scope mount dust covers, new bolts with springs on the firing pin for those who often drop their rifles on the butt etc.etc. I'm a fan of them.