Electric smokers

gomer pyle

My dad gave me a treager pellat smoker about 8 years ago. I love it! I still use a charcoal grill for certain things but the low and slow method really gives good results.

eta: the only thing I've had to replace on it was the cover due to it being weathered Edited by hlb14

Got links to specific models? I'm not against propane or pellet, I just want one that I can set and leave alittle more than a woodburner.

Just remember, that even though you might be using electric or propane (I have a gas smoker) you still have to keep wood in it to make the smoke.

I know this is about Electric smokers , but I made an old school Pit from concerete foundation blocks and didnt even cement them toagther. I just layed them on top of each other and use two pieces of plywood for the top. It makes such awesome BBQ . The Blocks were $50 for a bundle and everything else was just cheap scrap wood ,expanded metal and rebar . I use an old 50 gallon  drum barrel to burn my wood in . I cut small hole to get my shovel inside it and then shovel the wood coals over to my pit. Here is the pit and drum barrel . Its was cheap to make and will last several decades. Here are some chickens and three pork shoulders . The chickens take me 5 hours and the shoulders take around 10-15 hrs depending on thickness. I use Oak wood and Hickory Wood.

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/pit1_zpsp8vpatpi.jpg.html]pit1_zpsp8vpatpi.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s768.photobucket.com/user/tercel89/media/pit2_zpspynjgkw6.jpg.html]pit2_zpspynjgkw6.jpg[/URL]

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 5
c5d79f510d722c203a13c806f6074d11.jpg

I still like doing it the old fashioned way, but I do use my uncle's industrial electric smoker for doing large quantities of meat at one time. The "set it and forget it" way is really convenient. Plus I can smoke a dozen mullet at one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I bought a Masterbuilt and it was a POS. I called Masterbuilt for support and was treated like I was the POS. I took it back to Academy and bought a small Bradly from Gander Mountain, and it has worked great. The meat is best when I smoke it low and slow, and then finish it on the grill.

c5d79f510d722c203a13c806f6074d11.jpg

I still like doing it the old fashioned way,

This, :up:  Lump charcoal and wood. Yea it's pain to keep the heat just right, but the taste of pulled pork BBQ done with a spicy rub just can't be beat. Sometimes doing it the hard way is the best way. :woohoo: I use one of these Old Country Smoker Pecos model.old%20country_zps89ziotpo.jpg

Edited by crossfire

I know this is about Electric smokers , but I made an old school Pit from concerete foundation blocks and didnt even cement them toagther. I just layed them on top of each other and use two pieces of plywood for the top. It makes such awesome BBQ . The Blocks were $50 for a bundle and everything else was just cheap scrap wood ,expanded metal and rebar . I use an old 50 gallon  drum barrel to burn my wood in . I cut small hole to get my shovel inside it and then shovel the wood coals over to my pit. Here is the pit and drum barrel . Its was cheap to make and will last several decades. Here are some chickens and three pork shoulders . The chickens take me 5 hours and the shoulders take around 10-15 hrs depending on thickness. I use Oak wood and Hickory Wood.

pit1_zpsp8vpatpi.jpg

pit2_zpspynjgkw6.jpg

Reminds me of my younger days. We would build a pit similar to this and do 1/2 a pig. Took 24 hours

• Like 1

Reminds me of my younger days. We would build a pit similar to this and do 1/2 a pig. Took 24 hours

Oh man I love doing that ! Next spring I am gonna cook half a sheep and a goat . When I shoot my deer this year , I am going to keep a whole back leg/ham intact and freeze it to cook next year. I have cooked deer on my pit before but never a whole back leg.

Yep. And if you start out with a keg, the cooks are in fine shape by the time the meat is done

Exactly! How else do we get our wives to let us sit around drinking beer all day and doing very little actual work? "Oh gee hon', I can't take out the trash right now, gotta check on the smoker..." :)