Most heavily-armed states in America

Obviously this was compiled or edited by a clueless non-firearms owner... in EVERY single case example they refer to the number of guns "registered". When was the last time any of you "registered" a non-NFA firearm in Tennessee? What's more, the per capita estimate sum of 73,320 for a population of 6,495,978 doesn't even make a drop in the bucket in parallel comparison with the almost 500,000 HCP holders in TN (which obviously doesn't include those "Fudds" that own long guns exclusively).

Despite the fact that I am a product of a public school education, even my math isn't that bad.

Which tells me that this is more about the number of background checks per capita, not the number of guns.

Disingenuous, at best. Making up stuff is the 2nd favorite pastime of a liberal media-- right behind open antagonism of white conservatives.

These idiots have no idea what they're talking about.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 5

This study is junk. As of Nov 2014, there were 482,073 HCP holders in Tennessee. Source is here.  Today, the number is probably over 500,000.

How many handguns does each HCP holder own? Two? Three?

How many people own handguns, but don't have an HCP? Probably another half million or so. 

The story says 73,000 registered handguns in Tennessee. If you buy a gun at a gun store, isn't it registered? The government has a form with the serial number and your name on it. 

I'd bet the actual number of registered handguns is closer to one million... probably 2 million if you include unregistered handguns. 

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 2

This study is junk. As of Nov 2014, there were 482,073 HCP holders in Tennessee. Source is here

How many people own handguns, but don't have an HCP? Probably another half million or so. 

The story says 73,000 registered handguns in Tennessee. That's ridiculous. I'd bet the actual number of registered handguns is closer to one million... probably 2 million if you include unregistered handguns. 

I'm going to throw this number out there with a grain of salt because I can't verify the source, but according to Gene Kennedy's website, the current HCP count in TN is almost 525,000 now.

Edited by tartanphantom

The base data is so far off it's laughable.

Below are the volume of approved firearm purchase background checks run through TICS the past five years as reported by the state.

2014- 366,416

2013- 405,234

2012- 444,123

2011- 334,720

2010- 286,104

Cumulative total approved transactions by TICS as of the end of 2014-  3,887,916 

That would put our state at 599 guns per 1000 population.

Registered NFA weapons as of March 2014 in TN were 73,320 per the ATF which is where I think they got their flawed figure.

Sources-

https://www.tn.gov/tbi/article/firearm-background-checks

https://www.atf.gov/file/3336/download

• Like 1

This study is junk. As of Nov 2014, there were 482,073 HCP holders in Tennessee. Source is here.  Today, the number is probably over 500,000.

The story says 73,000 registered handguns in Tennessee. If you buy a gun at a gun store, isn't it registered? The government has a form with the serial number and your name on it. 

I'd bet the actual number of registered handguns is closer to one million... probably 2 million if you include unregistered handguns. 

Not me, but I do know someone, not me, that have 3 or 4 times that many handguns :cool:, and 4 of 5 times that many rifles. :ugh: Not me.

• Like 2
The part of the story that made me believe it was done by someone that does not understand the gun industry is when DC came in second with 66 guns per person. The only way to get to that number is if you count all the guns owned by the government to protect the capital. With the laws they have there I don't see that many people amassing 66 guns.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk Edited by LI0NSFAN

Define "heavily armed" ... would a person with 1 gun with 10,000 rounds & multiple magazines qualify?  or 20 guns with a box of ammo for each?

Does having an ArmaLite qualify as heavily armed? :whistle:

med_gallery_1_1_113115.jpg

Probably not if you have 1 ten round magazine and 2 boxes of ammo..................jmho

Hmmm.  Now you should have an understanding of why penetration is important!!

Back on topic.  There ARE no accurate figures on firearm ownership in the US.  For the most part, firearms are durable goods.  Very few are destroyed each year compared to the number manufactured and imported.  Even the inexpensive Iver Johnson revolvers produced in the early 1900s at a rate of over a million each year are still around in significant numbers.

And remember, there are NO numbers available for the firearms being legally made by individuals.  Since Obungler came to power, I believe that the number of home-made AR & AK receivers (and other firearms) is pretty significant.  I know of individuals who have made AR15s, AR10s, AKs, 1911s, Sig 228s, and a whole host of other types without any government knowledge.