How many magazines should a gun come with?

FortKnox

How many magazines do you think a gun should come with? For me I think a gun should come with a minimum of two mags.

On that note I won't buy a gun if it only comes with one. I mean I'm paying all this money for a gun you could at least throw in a extra mag or two. Seeing as how, depending on the company, the mags cost a pretty penny or two.

I think 2. If I want more, then I can buy more and usually do, but for many people that is enough, home protection for instance. The more mags supplied the higher the price will be on the initial purchase. Why should non sport or competition shooters pay for mags they won't ever use or need, is my thinking.

• Like 2

Ideally, none.  I'd generally prefer a cylinder, instead. :D

To answer the question, though, I think a new semiauto pistol should include two magazines.  Being that some problems with such firearms can be largely magazine related I have to wonder how many times a 'defective' new pistol could be 'repaired' simply by using a different magazine.  I know that one could simply go and buy a second mag to make sure that isn't the problem before sending it back under warranty, trading it or whatever but who wants to buy a second mag separately only to find out that the mag isn't the problem?

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3

One. That's all it takes to make one function properly, and most people never use more than one anyway. Anything more would be a waste for most handgun sales, and would only serve to drive up the price.

Extra magazines are available for virtually all current model pistols if one wants to purchase more.

• Like 1

One. That's all it takes to make one function properly, and most people never use more than one anyway. Anything more would be a waste for most handgun sales, and would only serve to drive up the price.

Extra magazines are available for virtually all current model pistols if one wants to purchase more.

Well, I like when I buy an FNH and it has 3 mags to start. Some mags are not as easy to find as PMAG's and Glock mags. Try finding FN Five-seveN mags in stock locally. 

That said, I like to load up all my mags before I go to the range because it saves me time from having to reload while at the range. It also get's me out of the lane faster so the next guy waiting can get to shoot sooner. ;)

Well, I like when I buy an FNH and it has 3 mags to start. Some mags are not as easy to find as PMAG's and Glock mags. Try finding FN Five-seveN mags in stock locally. 

That said, I like to load up all my mags before I go to the range because it saves me time from having to reload while at the range. It also get's me out of the lane faster so the next guy waiting can get to shoot sooner. ;)

I would expect a dealer to stock extra magazines for any new pistol he stocks. Is that not the case?

How many magazines do you think a gun should come with?

In a perfect world, the correct answer would be "all of them." :woohoo:

EDIT:  I just looked above and saw that Chucktshoes beat me to the semi-sarcastic answer!

In reality-- I think two should be the standard minumum number with a new firearm purchase, but of course, it's entirely up to the manufacturer.

Regarding a dealer stocking extra mags for the pistols he sells-- good luck with that one... unless the only pistols you own are Glock 21, Sig P226, traditional 1911 or S&W M&P models. For those of us who own less common models (not necessarily "exotic" though), finding mags stocked on the shelf in a store is something of a pipe dream-- the "popular" mags take up most of the shelf space-- and, from the standpoint of the dealer, with good reason too.

Edited by tartanphantom

I would expect a dealer to stock extra magazines for any new pistol he stocks. Is that not the case?

Hardly EVER the case, in my experience. I've never been in a store that carries extra mags for EVERY new gun they have for sale. The hot sellers, sure.

Combining the two post answers. Yep, musicman is right. Most LGS stock mags only on the basis of most common guns and those that sell quickly. Finding anything other than 1911 mags, some glock, and AR mags in a shop is rare.
  • Like 1
Two is the minimum I'll accept at time of purchase unless were talking a very good deal or special gun. Idealy, there would be three so you can carry a backup with you and have a spare at home to replace any that break.

But let's not kid ourselves, gun companies want us buying spare mags at their prices, so we may not see more than 2-3 come with a gun ever.
If you can be patient most companies offer rebates that either give you extra mags (springfield does it alot) or gives you a monetary rebate which I use for more mags. I called Sig when they were doing a $50 rebate and talked the nice rep on the phone to send me 2 mags instead. The mags would have cost me $80 retail. I heard another guy say he did it so I gave it a shot. I think all guns should come with 3-4 mags.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

To pull up an old phrase, "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch".  Everything the manufacturer ships with the gun adds to the cost and is included to the price we see as the buyer. 

Most people aren't TGO savvy buyers; they won't think about the number of magazines that are included when comparing prices.  Just "I can get Gun A for $$ but Gun B will cost me $$$".  Personally I like the option to chose what I use with my guns.  But two mags would be nice! ;)