TEMA Declares State of Emergency ahead of winter storm

runco

You ready prepared for the snow event this weekend? 

http://wate.com/2016/01/21/tema-declares-state-of-emergency-ahead-of-winter-storm/

TEMA declares State of Emergency ahead of winter storm

WATE 6 On Your Side Staff Published:

January 21, 2016, 4:25 pm

Updated:

January 21, 2016, 5:18 pm

Related Coverage

NASHVILLE (WATE) – The Tennessee Emergency Management Agency has declared a Level III State of Emergency due to the winter weather predicted to move into the state over the next few days.

TEMA says the weather system may lead to stranded motorists, power outages and people needing shelter. Key TEMA and state agency staff members, including those from the Tennessee Departments of Health, Human Services, Military and Transportation, as well as the Tennessee Highway Patrol, will all be on standby monitoring the situation.

According to TEMA, a Level III State of Emergency means “an event or period when a serious emergency has occurred or the situation is deteriorating rapidly, and public warnings are being issued.”

TEMA has also made contact with people with the American Red Cross, Tennessee State Parks, Tennessee Division of Forestry and Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency.

Related:

Regional offices in Jackson, Nashville and Knoxville are making staffing preparations for Regional Coordination Centers. They will be points of contact to assist counties with any needs they report. RCCs are checking inventory of blankets, heated meals and water.

The American Red Cross is putting shelter staff and volunteers on alert.

The winter weather is expected to move into West Tennessee late Thursday night into early Friday morning and progress across the state.

The new modern America can't handle the snow. It's historic on the news and promotes premature freaking out plus we have a lot of non Americans driving now!

Judging by Monday people in this area have no idea how to drive in the white stuff.

Thanks

Robert

Temps are right going to hover right above freezing until late tomorrow afternoon, and the ground has a lot of water in it (high specific heat ... it'll take a good bit of "cool" to freeze it), so it will take a pretty heavy snowfall to pile up on warm streets and ground.

These wet systems which are borderline are the kind of systems that always dump on us.  ... hard to call.  I think the ground is too wet and the air is too warm.

PS.  I don't really know jack about weather.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Temps are right going to hover right above freezing until late tomorrow afternoon, and the ground has a lot of water in it (high specific heat ... it'll take a good bit of "cool" to freeze it), so it will take a pretty heavy snowfall to pile up on warm streets and ground.

These wet systems which are borderline are the kind of systems that always dump on us. ... hard to call. I think the ground is too wet and the air is too warm.

PS. I don't really know jack about weather.

c494ebbebc5491a1879bd9a56a44f3f6.jpg
  • Like 3

aca00b89b173c63bd08a9934064fb206.jpg

Yesterday. 60+ mph winds across the prairie drifted in the interstate. Life went on. :lol:

Seriously, I hope this doesn't hit TN too hard.

Drove a rental truck through there once in the late 70s to early 80s, I was real glad that they had all those giant jax in the open areas to cause snow drifts.  Specially when I started seeing 18 wheelers turning over.

Haven't seen many of those now, just snow fences.

jax.jpg

• Like 1

Remember the local tv stations like to hype it up so you will stay tuned to their radio station.    I really just read the NOAA weather reports.  I hate to say it, government weather forecasting might be better (less hype), but the eye candy of some of the weather girls are not too bad in the Knoxville market.

• Like 1

Judging by what I saw while out and about, there is no hope for the general populace around here learning to drive in the snow. While stopped at my local liquor store a woman asked me what those things on my tires were? She'd apparently never seen snow chains.
35c8a5b3af4386ce99d2799f621f070b.jpg
2ec4d55126243d18347fdfdcdd740e5e.jpg
eedf6198a7e254896ef0252681d59d11.jpg
3e07da37554f4b6bb60ca5372c23c3a3.jpg
3a3ffec1052a791282d1d2e4f5f9349b.jpg

• Moderators

Judging by what I saw while out and about, there is no hope for the general populace around here learning to drive in the snow. While stopped at my local liquor store a woman asked me what those things on my tires were? She'd apparently never seen snow chains.

3e07da37554f4b6bb60ca5372c23c3a3.jpg

That one is my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw something that almost made me wreck from laughing. Gallatin road in Inglewood I had trouble climbing a very small hill. A guy on cross country snow skis, pink ski jacket and neon teal ski pants passes me on the side of the road.

I think I did a triple take. Would have snapped a pick but I was white knuckling the steering wheel!

Sent from the Fortress of Solitude.