Getting used to shooting

How long does it take to get used to the sound and the feeling of the percussion of the rounds going off? Went to the range today and just like the first time I went (today was the second time) I had a blast no pun intended, though was way to busy for rifles :(

just curious how long it took some of you to get used to it, I'm sure if I went more I would be used to it by now.

And yes I know this question will get me flack and probably a few calling me a pansy etc but I just wanted to know as I am still a new to shooting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends, are you shooting under a cover, by walls, inside gun, rifle, caliber etc etc.  I like shooting in the open, you can concentrate better and the percussion doesn't effect you as much.  What effects you more?

Well even us veterans still flinch!  So don't feel too bad.  There are a few things that will help you:

Double Stuff ( wear foam earplugs and ear muffs ) not only will this help preserve your hearing, it will lesson the noise and concussion of shooting making it a bit more comfortable.  Wear eye protection as well.  

Properly grip the firearm.   Youtube has some great videos to help you properly grip your firearm when shooting.  This will help with the recoil and make you more comfortable.

You can back down a few notches in caliber.  Try shooting a .22lr pistol for a while to get used to trigger and other mechanics involved in shooting.

Snap Caps:  use these to help practice dry firing.  This will also help you with your shooting mechanics.  

Shoot more  :) 

• Like 3
Chip Cain is an attorney and a sponsor here. He can really help you.

Have him draw you up an NFA trust. Then, go buy a suppressor. Be happy.

Worked for me! I used to think I hated AR's going off cause they are so godawful loud. Got my first can....now I KNOW I hate them. EVERYTHING needs a can on it! Lol!
  • Like 3

Chip Cain is an attorney and a sponsor here. He can really help you.

Have him draw you up an NFA trust. Then, go buy a suppressor. Be happy.

Worked for me! I used to think I hated AR's going off cause they are so godawful loud. Got my first can....now I KNOW I hate them. EVERYTHING needs a can on it! Lol!

Yea, but this does nothing for the guy with the 50 BMG next to you.

It depends, are you shooting under a cover, by walls, inside gun, rifle, caliber etc etc. I like shooting in the open, you can concentrate better and the percussion doesn't effect you as much. What effects you more?

9mm, 7.62x39 (though only once for each of these), 7.62x54r, I was at the stones river range which is I guess a outdoor/indoor range and people are very close to each other, I guess it would be the percussion as it makes feel kinda nervous and my hand kinda shakes a little bit while aiming but I am trying to train myself to not do it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by luke9511

9mm, 7.62x39 (though only once for each of these), 7.62x54r, I was at the stones river range which is I guess a outdoor/indoor range and people are very close to each other, I guess it would be the percussion as it makes feel kinda nervous and my hand kinda shakes a little bit while aiming but I am trying to train myself to not do it

Yea, if it has a tin roof, the percussion is quite bad.  Try the tip Slappy posted and protect your hearing.   With a plinking firearm such as the 7.62x39, concentrate on smooth trigger pull and not on accuracy. Concentrate on your trigger squeeze, and let the round surprise you when it goes off.  Once you get better used to it, then work on your accuracy.

Double stuff for sure. Helps me a lot. Also take your time if you're new, or just getting back after some time off give yourself some time to get used to it again.

Shooting under any type of roof amplifies the effects too. Whenever possible shoot in the open air.

You might try doing some spotting for others too. It exposes you to the range, and gives you something to concentrate on without expending ammo.
  • Like 1

Double stuff for sure. Helps me a lot. Also take your time if you're new, or just getting back after some time off give yourself some time to get used to it again.

Shooting under any type of roof amplifies the effects too. Whenever possible shoot in the open air.

You might try doing some spotting for others too. It exposes you to the range, and gives you something to concentrate on without expending ammo.

is there any ranges that are fully out doors that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or first born?

The two things (blast wave and sound) pretty much work the same way.   Behind the gun, with open air or soft ground, its not bad.   Inside a concrete bunker, its rough.   Make physics work for you... move to another range that is outside over soft ground, or less crowded,  or go at a less crowded time, etc.   Get behind rather than beside when you can .. even a foot or two works, as best you can while being safe.    Be wise too.. if you have 4 lanes to pick from all next to someone, avoid the guy with the AR in favor of the guy shooting a pistol or 22 rifle.

Ive shot for decades and I still have no desire to be beside someone shooting a rifle.   Ill go home or move rather that tolerate that for long .. I can feel it in my chest, eyes, nose etc and it gives me a headache and destroy my focus.  I can come back later; its not worth it.  

You can handle the noise up to a point with better / doubled hearing.   The blast, try to avoid it.

• Like 1

I got used to guns in basic training. :up:  After that, the only gun that surprised me was my Desert Eagle .50  Didn't know what to expect when I pulled the trigger but I found out. B)

Noise cancelling headphones work terrific as I can hear what's going on around me between shots.

• Like 1

NextExit is right on target. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

A set of good electronic muffs can work wonders with the noise. And they aren't that expensive anymore. 

Check Lowes and Home Depot. I got a couple of Peltor sets last year for less than 50 apiece.

They allow conversation and muffle the shots very well. It's a great investment in your future hearing.

I am going to assume the issue is the other shooters and their guns, not your guns. You know when your gun is going to go off. It is the cat next to you, or two tables down that is throwing your groove off.

You can double stuff as mentioned above, ear plugs and muffs, that will help muffle the sound. However you will still hear it, and if you are close enough feel the concussion.

My suggestion would be to sit there and close your eyes. Sit back off of the line at the back of the range. Just absorb it all. Don't shoot, just listen and feel. It might not happen instantly, but with your eyes closed you won't have any visual cues to warn you the blast is coming. It will just come. Take a few minutes to let that sink in, then try tuning it all out.

• Like 3

I am going to assume the issue is the other shooters and their guns, not your guns. You know when your gun is going to go off. It is the cat next to you, or two tables down that is throwing your groove off.

You can double stuff as mentioned above, ear plugs and muffs, that will help muffle the sound. However you will still hear it, and if you are close enough feel the concussion.

My suggestion would be to sit there and close your eyes. Sit back off of the line at the back of the range. Just absorb it all. Don't shoot, just listen and feel. It might not happen instantly, but with your eyes closed you won't have any visual cues to warn you the blast is coming. It will just come. Take a few minutes to let that sink in, then try tuning it all out.

Thia is a good idea as well. A big part of this is overcoming your startle reflex. It will happen. Give yourself some time.

All muffs I've ever tried get in the way of cheek weld with some of my rifles, including some fairly "flat" electronic ones.

I've never found anything to beat just good squishy plugs, like the Howard Leight Max.  The trick is in rolling/squishing them down correctly to insert and then waiting for them to expand in position correctly. Do it correctly and then you're sealed, really sealed. I finally just bought a box of the 100 count corded ones, can use a set for maybe five trips before tossing.

Downside is that they seal so well you can't hardly hear jack in regard to conversation or other normal level noises. Also, takes a minute or two to get them properly reinserted if you pop one out to hear.

All that said, "concussion" is still an issue, and I don't like it much, really don't enjoy shooting in an indoor range much at all. My local outdoor range has a partially underground shed type construction, and it does increase that claustrophobic concussive pressure sensation. Sometimes if I'm there alone I just shoot from the ground out in front of it and it's almost like having cans on all my shooters, and no pressure wave feeling at all by comparison.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I was at the stones river range which is I guess a outdoor/indoor range and people are very close to each other

I'm guessing Stones River was pretty crowded on Saturday with it being a Spring like day in January.  I can see a full firing line there being a concussive hell.

Maybe try it on less than perfect Sunday to see if you notice a difference.

• Like 1

I'm guessing Stones River was pretty crowded on Saturday with it being a Spring like day in January. I can see a full firing line there being a concussive hell.

Maybe try it on less than perfect Sunday to see if you notice a difference.

you would be correct, it was so busy I couldn't even get on the rifle range! :(

Repeating what someone said, wearing foam earplugs and ear muffs will help a lot.

Also, humans are all wired differently.  I double up and don't like the noise.  

I see pics of soldiers shooting those huge artillery guns and wonder how they handle it - and whether they are now deaf.

Luke, shooting entails having an explosion going off mere inches from your face. It's a completely unnatural event, especially when you're causing it to happen. I've been shooting for years and I still sometimes flinch. During hunting season I was watching a deer for several minutes just waiting for him to present a good shot. I pulled the trigger and noticed the flinch to end all flinches. Luckily I had forgotten to switch off the safety, so I was able to disable the safety, calm down, and get a good, clean shot.

So don't worry about a little flinching. It happens to the best of us. And me too. ;)

• Like 2