Holster idea feedback wanted

BigK

I don't think strongside mag holders are a smart idea, so by default I also don't think holsters with a built-in mag holder are a smart idea either. However, I saw a pic once in which a guy linked his spare mag to the mag in his pistol like this. 

I wanted to try out the idea with an IWB hybrid style holster, since that's my favorite. I am still kind of skeptical about the setup, but I had the time to spare. This is what I came up with over the past 2 evenings.

image-20160225_090112.jpg
image-20160225_090021.jpg

image-20160225_085458.jpg

My own knee-jerk reaction is that it looks crazy and unsafe. I assumed the tether would get tangled or snagged on something., but I practiced the draw a LOT last night. So far, it never snagged on me a single time. I tuck the paracord behind the holster, so it can't get tangled. Clearing my shirt enough to draw the pistol as usual also clears the mag to come free. The spare mag is so light and the string is so short that you can't really tell it's there when you aim.

Obviously I'm not going to carry out in the wild with this rig until I feel 100% sure about it. Assuming nothing changes and the mag deploys correctly 10 time out of 10 like it's doing now and the tether isn't long enough to get stuck on anything, what other issues do you guys see that I might be missing?

• Administrator

I think it leaves your spare mag dangling wildly about beneath your handgun which makes it a moving target for you to try and grasp and properly index with your weak-hand in a mag change.

There's a reason why most savvy shooters keep their spare mag in exactly the same spot on their belt every time they carry, with the front of the mag facing toward the front of their body, so that they can grab it, index it, and correctly insert it into the firearm in one very quick motion relying entirely on muscle memory.  It's repeatable, every time.

What you created is an Ammo Piñata.  Maybe you'll catch it, maybe you won't.

132128d1340022579-people-park-pinata-par

:)

• Like 2

I think it leaves your spare mag dangling wildly about beneath your handgun which makes it a moving target for you to try and grasp and properly index with your weak-hand in a mag change.

There's a reason why most savvy shooters keep their spare mag in exactly the same spot on their belt every time they carry, with the front of the mag facing toward the front of their body, so that they can grab it, index it, and correctly insert it into the firearm in one very quick motion relying entirely on muscle memory.  It's repeatable, every time.

What you created is an Ammo Piñata.  Maybe you'll catch it, maybe you won't.

Thanks for the input. I see what you mean about it being more difficult to grab and orient the spare mag.

Yeah, that looks waaaay too inconsistent to me. Not to mention if you got into a physical confrontation where your assailant tried to take your gun away, which is very possible a .380 pocket pistol ranges.

The only time I have seen something look like it works with the gun holster and mag holder together is appendix carry, and then they both are very near 12:00.

If it works for you, great. But I just don't see it.

Looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

What happens if you accidentally hit the mag release on the gun and both mags go falling away?

Having the 2nd mag swinging around under there while trying to shoot can't help accuracy.  Seems like it would also go flying around and whack your hands due to recoil or when moving.  '

Looks like a great thing for someone to grab and jerk the gun out of your hand. 

The other comments are pretty much spot on, you've basically run a lanyard to your spare mag for security and accessability. It'll work just fine at the range for plinking and informal stuff. But in a high stress situartion it's not going to work out so good, but you could probably lengthen the lanyard a bit if you want to pursue the retention ideal further.

I agree with the others, and will add that the Mag is not intended to support weight from the base pad. I remember some time back there were base pads that acted as a light mount. Kind of a cool idea until it fails and you find yourself holding a single shot weapon. In this case if that happened you would loose both mags. If you had to clear a double feed the tethered mags would require you to strip both mags but keep track of them somehow so you can get your gun back in the fight..

Interesting idea and worth discussing as we all learn something from it, but not for me.

Great input, guys...thanks. There's not much left I can do as a proof of concept. You all make valid points. 

Funny thing...the holster is only worthwhile to me if the tether is viable. Otherwise, I wasted a few hours and have more fodder for the black hole box 'o holsters.I'll never carry a holster/mag holder combo.

Great input, guys...thanks. There's not much left I can do as a proof of concept. You all make valid points. 

Funny thing...the holster is only worthwhile to me if the tether is viable. Otherwise, I wasted a few hours and have more fodder for the black hole box 'o holsters.I'll never carry a holster/mag holder combo.

Actually the holster's still pretty feasible and turned out really well. You can carry a mag in it and stuff another into a pocket or a separate on belt mag pouch. Or you can use the empty mag pouch to carry a knife or small multi-tool.

I always thought of those small micro pistols like 380s more as "get off me" guns, hence at neck hair engagement ranges you probably wont need to reload.

The only reason I dont like the tether is you have to take that extra second to grab that mag (which is now a pendulum) firmly and then reload, muscle memory under fire youll just drop the mag and possibly destroy it/them - its a bit far fetched to drill that way.

There is also that 1/1 Million chance that youll get it snagged and pull your mag out somehow leaving you with one bullet...not cool

Now the holster on its own is pretty cool, I dont mind strong side reloads - its worth drilling, who is to say you dont get your weak side arm shot or you get into an (unlikely) extended engagement where youll have time to reload

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

On a whim I took the nunchuck pinata getup with me to the range last night. I didn't have to fight anyone off me, nobody was returning fire, and drawing from concealment was not allowed. Otherwise, the ability to shoot wasn't hampered in any way. :D I did get a REALLY funny look from musicman when he saw it/tried it out. I don't think he was a big fan either, LOL.

I'm carrying with the holster sans tether today and while it's comfy and 100% unnoticeable, I still don't dig the idea of strong side mag changes...not that dangling mags are any better, mind you...just saying.

I don't intend this as a negative in any way BigK.

It may well be the photograph angle, but it looks like there isn't much room for a full quick or fumble free grip on the drawstroke. (With the mag inserted into it's carrier).

Am I way off base on my viewing/angle of view?

Most of the holsters I've seen with same side mag carry have had the mag in front of the handgun. Obviously for the concept you presented that would be a no-go.

Nice looking holster molding btw.

Here's something I did for a neighbor of mine yesterday.  Not quite the same point but it's in the same vein at least.  Short explanation is he wanted a sleeve for his backup magazine to keep lint out of it.  This was my solution plus the tie down so if the magazine is needed the sleeve doesn't Murphy's Law itself on.

[URL=http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/gjohnsoniv/media/IMG_20160306_132417_zpswnexenzn.jpg.html]IMG_20160306_132417_zpswnexenzn.jpg[/URL]

I always thought of those small micro pistols like 380s more as "get off me" guns, hence at neck hair engagement ranges you probably wont need to reload.

The only reason I dont like the tether is you have to take that extra second to grab that mag (which is now a pendulum) firmly and then reload, muscle memory under fire youll just drop the mag and possibly destroy it/them - its a bit far fetched to drill that way.

There is also that 1/1 Million chance that youll get it snagged and pull your mag out somehow leaving you with one bullet...not cool

Now the holster on its own is pretty cool, I dont mind strong side reloads - its worth drilling, who is to say you dont get your weak side arm shot or you get into an (unlikely) extended engagement where youll have time to reload

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

The LCP is surprisingly accurate for what it is. It is notorious for dropping mags. It's real easy to hit the mag release while you are shooting. With the tether, you have lost both mags.