New steps on deck?

So our house isn't very old, about 6 years. The back deck has 3 steps down to the yard. When the landscaping was put in the mulch as piled up around the base. So long story short the rider and bottom front plate are completely rotted.

Anyone know a good general work contractor in Nashville that could come replace them? I could do it myself but I figured by the time I haul the materials and get a couple tools I don't have, I could probably just pay someone to come and do it for me.
  • Like 2
Did you look at the precut steps at HD or Lowes. My deck is 3 steps down also, and my son and I got a couple of the treated precut risers, some nailing brackets and treads. All together it was around $50 and took about an hour to do it.
  • Like 1

Did you look at the precut steps at HD or Lowes. My deck is 3 steps down also, and my son and I got a couple of the treated precut risers, some nailing brackets and treads. All together it was around $50 and took about an hour to do it.

My dad mentioned this option. I'm gonna do some measuring and see how it fits. It's more like 2.5 steps, but I could rip the bottom off with a circular saw.
  • Like 1
The super-easy way (not necessarily the correct way) to fix it is to cut a stringer for each side that matches the old one, dig out a little under the bottom step, jack it up where it needs to be, and attach the new stringer to the outside of the old one with lag screws (basically doubling it up). That will "fix" it for a while.

It wouldn't be hard or take too long to do it the right way though Edited by Wingshooter
So the next question. The paint/stain is peeling off the deck treds. Should I strip it off or just sand the spots and cover it? I would much prefer it never had this applied but I dread the thought of stopping all of it off Edited by Lumber_Jack
Just sand it if it isn't a lot. I would put in all new floor boards before even considering stripping it. A good cleaner and cleaning will be as important. Olympic deck cleaner is my choice. Behr cleaner stinks. Then go for Olympic Elite/Maximum solid color stain. Expensive, but is very good stain. Almost as thick as paint. Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

They sell treated deck treads also, just cut them to length and screw or nail down. Cheap and a log easier than sanding down the old ones.

Agree. I was thinking he was referring to the whole deck for that question, not just the treads. If it is just the treads on the stairs, the pre-made ones at lowes or HD are nicer than two 5/4 boards. I used them on my deck. Edited by Hozzie
Looks like the post on the end is sitting on the step too. Is it loose? If so, you might want to replace then and stick em in the ground with some concrete to make a sturdy hand rail.

Still not a lot of work but since you're at it. Edited by Ugly

However many stringers you get, get a cap block for each one.  Set a cap block under each stringer and lay a level across them.  Dig out as needed until level.  Try to have the top surface of the cap blocks at least an inch above grade.  This will give your stringers/steps a solid and level base and allow water to drain off and away from your stringers.  From the pic it looks like  3 pressure treated stringers, 3 cap blocks, and some pressure treated 5/8 deck boards.  

• Like 1
If it's the whole deck, rather than sand it, I would pressure clean all the loose stuff off. I would then apply one of the deck renewal paints. I think Behrs and Rustoleum both have a version. I used the Rustoleum on my small front deck and steps and it really came out well.
  • Like 1

DO NOT USE RUSTOLEUM.

I'll post before and 18 month later pictures for you tomorrow on why you should not buy that garbage.  Not only did it not stick to 50% of a prepped deck, as it bubbled off, it doesn't let the boards breath well, holding in water, causing them to rot.  Then, when it doesn't work, you basically have to replace the entire deck to get it off completely.

And yes, it was applied properly, I took nearly a week to completely redo the deck (sort of large).  The only decent thing that happened was Rustoleum sent me a refund check so I wasn't out $350.  But now the deck surface boards need to be replaced.  It's garbage.

Edited by Sam1

Have you considered the recycled car tire boards?  My FIL has his deck steps made of the stuff.  It for sure won't rot in our lifetimes, and it generally behaves like a board.  I think you can paint it too, but it will never look like real wood of course.  There might be other synthetics out there that will do as well ... fix it once, never again?

Those steps don't look like they were put in right to begin with. I agree with what someone else said in putting some cap blocks on the ground so the stringers aren't in direct contact. It also seems to me that the top should be in full contact with the face of the deck not hanging half way off of it.

What they said, not a bad afternoon project.  Rip the whole thing off and replace it all.  Don't think you'd need more than a circular saw and a screw gun.  Good excuse to buy one of each if you don't already have them. 

Dig out under the landing, couple inches of gravel, block, and then water barrier (plastic sheet, tyvex, ...) between the blocks and the stringers.

Use the pre-cut stringers, they're way easier even if you have to move the landing a bit, and attach them at deck level with joist hangers, not down below like they are now.

To prevent the above coating disaster, wait for the wood to dry thoroughly (like a year) before putting any sort of stain or coating on it.

• Like 2