Baby snake ID?

Sam1

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Cooking oil or olive oil on the trap will set it free.

Does that work?  I had a pup get into one of those once, had to practically shave it.  Luckily it was a furry one so no harm but it sure was stuck.  This was before Gore invented the internet so I couldn't look up a remedy.

5 hours ago, Omega said:

Does that work?  I had a pup get into one of those once, had to practically shave it.  Luckily it was a furry one so no harm but it sure was stuck.  This was before Gore invented the internet so I couldn't look up a remedy.

Yes it works... i have lizards and frogs that get caught in my traps.  the oil sets them free. The trap will not work after that though. 

Edited by MikeW
6 hours ago, MikeW said:

Cooking oil or olive oil on the trap will set it free.

Wish I'd known/thought of that a few years ago. I came home and found my Chow-Chow sitting at the gate waiting for me. She had gotten into one of the mouse pads. She was sitting there looking so pitiful with her paw raised up for me to see it.

Luckily for me, Cody had only gotten a little hair stuck on it so it came off without too much problem.  

Woah buddy, don't get anywhere near that thing. That there looks to be a Black Mamba. I'm no snake expert or anything, but I'm fairly certain on this one. They are native to Tennessee, can't believe no one else has told you this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a more serious note, think about these 4 things when coming in contact with a snake in TN.

1. Round pupils= ALWAYS
Non-Venomous
2. Long and thin tail= Usually Non-Venomous
3. Round/Non-Triangular shaped head is non-venomous.
4. There are only 4 Native venomous snakes in the state of Tennessee. (Copperhead, Timber Rattlesnake, Western Pigmy, and Cottonmouth).

- You rarely will see a cottonmouth or western pigmy, depending on what part of TN you live in.

- Pupils are easiest indicator :)

1 hour ago, conn_air7 said:

On a more serious note, think about these 4 things when coming in contact with a snake in TN.

1. Round pupils= ALWAYS
Non-Venomous
2. Long and thin tail= Usually Non-Venomous
3. Round/Non-Triangular shaped head is non-venomous.
4. There are only 4 Native venomous snakes in the state of Tennessee. (Copperhead, Timber Rattlesnake, Western Pigmy, and Cottonmouth).

- You rarely will see a cottonmouth or western pigmy, depending on what part of TN you live in.

- Pupils are easiest indicator :)

Snakes don't bother me but I'm sure not going to get down to take a look at their pupils.

Snakes don't bother me but I'm sure not going to get down to take a look at their pupils.

Understandable, the head is also a good indicator. However, a lot of snakes use defensive mechanisms to make themselves appear as a "pit viper" when they are completely harmless.

53 minutes ago, quietguy said:

Spreading sand on your yard will help keep they out.  I guess they just don't like slithering through it.  

I'm a bit skeptical about this considering the various desert snakes and sand around a lot of bodies of water that doesn't bother Copperheads and Cottonmouths. 

1 hour ago, SWJewellTN said:

I'm a bit skeptical about this considering the various desert snakes and sand around a lot of bodies of water that doesn't bother Copperheads and Cottonmouths. 

I agree.

There is plenty of sand below the fall line in south Georgia, and the number of snake species only get more numerous.  At the science museum and wildlife center at which I worked (taking care of the herps), we regularly used sand as a substrate.

9 minutes ago, dawgdoc said:

I agree.

There is plenty of sand below the fall line in south Georgia, and the number of snake species only get more numerous.  At the science museum and wildlife center at which I worked (taking care of the herps), we regularly used sand as a substrate.

Gotta use mothballs, right? Especially good to deter the hoop snakes.

latest?cb=20140126215657

- OS

• Like 1