A Modest Proposal for President Trump

I sent the below letter to the President's office:

Should the President have to leave office, there are several actions he can legally take to correct injustice.   I will detail one such below.
In 1968, Congress passed the Gun Control Act changing the rules regarding legally-owned weapons registered according to the 1934 National Firearms Act (NFA).  As part of that change, the law allows for the government to have periodic Amnesties, where these firearms may be legally registered.  Currently, an Amnesty is the only way for such firearms to be legally registered.  No such Amnesty has occurred since 1968.
The amnesty period statute (section 207(d) of the GCA) is codified in United States Statutes at Large (Volume 82, 1969, page 1236), as follows:

"The Secretary of the Treasury, after publication in the Federal Register of his intention to do so, is authorized to establish such periods of amnesty, not to exceed 90 days in the case of any single period, and immunity from liability during any such period, as the Secretary determines will contribute to the purposes of this title."

The BATF&E is now part of the Justice Department, not Treasury.  As such, the President can direct the Justice Department to declare a 90-day NFA Amnesty, allowing the many owners of NFA firearms to make their firearms legal for the first time since 1968.

Others may want to do so as well.  I can imagine heads exploding if President Trump declares a 90-day NFA Amnesty!!

• Moderators
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I wouldn’t think they would have any takers?? Would someone that has illegally owned an NFA item for years now want to register it when there is a good possibility it will be the target of anti-gun legislation??

Probably 99% (or greater) true, but wouldn’t it theoretically allow the registration of new manufacture stuff too? It would be a theoretical way to absolutely flood the market with transferable Post 86 MG’s. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

Probably 99% (or greater) true, but wouldn’t it theoretically allow the registration of new manufacture stuff too? It would be a theoretical way to absolutely flood the market with transferable Post 86 MG’s. 

The amount of crap I’d register would be astronomical. (New manufacture!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators

That would be awesome. But coming from the administration that asked the ATF to review scary bump stocks? Not going to happen. 

The only way it would remotely be considered would be if someone pointed out that the “tax” could also be readjusted from $200.00 to today’s currency.

• Like 1

How would such an amnesty work and/or be worded?  “You have 90 days to build whatever illegal weapon you like, then we will forgive you and allow it to become legal”?

Amnesty is forgiveness, not permission.

How many of grandaddy’s MP-40’s from the war are still floating around?

Edit:  On further consideration, and the fact that a bunch of stuff is about to be banned, I can see the point.

Edited by Garufa
40 minutes ago, Garufa said:

How would such an amnesty work and/or be worded?  “You have 90 days to build whatever illegal weapon you like, then we will forgive you and allow it to become legal”?

Amnesty is forgiveness, not permission.

How many of grandaddy’s MP-40’s from the war are still floating around?

Edit:  On further consideration, and the fact that a bunch of stuff is about to be banned, I can see the point.

I would not be surprised to find out there are quite a few war souvenirs from all conflicts still out on the streets.  And this would be a perfect poke in the eye of the Dems if they are allowed to keep their fraudulent win. 

• Like 1

The fear from this Election to the future of the 2nd amendment has already made one of my Distributors close their doors to small businesses, the folks I get my Benchmade knives from also sell Firearms, which I do not have an FFL, so due to overwhelming orders of Firearms and firearm accessories I cannot get anything from them for the foreseeable future, there however is still a wing and a prayer that this Election may be seen for what it is 

I am worried about the ability to buy ammo, Pistols everything else so I think the NFA items may become a thing of the past 

54 minutes ago, willis68 said:

there however is still a wing and a prayer that this Election may be seen for what it is

IMO, this election has already been seen for what it is. Do I think that will change anything? It can’t for this election, and I doubt it will in the future simply because it is executed by at least 50 different states with 50 different sets of rules. Other than having elections federalized, having both parties present at each vote counting station, and not allowing mail in voting other than those that specifically requesting a ballot be sent to them at their voter registered address; I don’t see any way to stop the criminal action we all know just happened.

54 minutes ago, willis68 said:

I am worried about the ability to buy ammo, Pistols everything else so I think the NFA items may become a thing of the past 

I agree. I suspect this may be different than the past. Obama and his crew at least lied and said they support the 2nd amendment. That’s in the past. These clowns openly defy the 2nd amendment.

19 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

IMO, this election has already been seen for what it is. Do I think that will change anything? It can’t for this election, and I doubt it will in the future simply because it is executed by at least 50 different states with 50 different sets of rules. Other than having elections federalized, having both parties present at each vote counting station, and not allowing mail in voting other than those that specifically requesting a ballot be sent to them at their voter registered address; I don’t see any way to stop the criminal action we all know just happened.

I agree. I suspect this may be different than the past. Obama and his crew at least lied and said they support the 2nd amendment. That’s in the past. These clowns openly defy the 2nd amendment.

Don't count on it being over just yet, if this election is not corrected now, we will surely end up in a shooting war, not right away mind you, but not too far off.  The American people deserve to have what the military has been trying to give other countries, a free and fair election.  If we can't guarantee one for our own government, how can we be expected to fight for this for other countries?  There is just so much evidence that something just isn't right that there is no way they can just let it go, it needs to be investigated and heads need to roll, there is no other way.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Omega said:

Don't count on it being over just yet, if this election is not corrected now, we will surely end up in a shooting war, not right away mind you, but not too far off.  The American people deserve to have what the military has been trying to give other countries, a free and fair election.  If we can't guarantee one for our own government, how can we be expected to fight for this for other countries?  There is just so much evidence that something just isn't right that there is no way they can just let it go, it needs to be investigated and heads need to roll, there is no other way.

There is no evidence. Trump was an unpopular president and he lost. He should be proud of the fact that he got 70 million votes. I mean that. It's an impressive feat. He's been complaining about voter fraud all year and his base ran with it. It just didn't happen. Even Republican election officials in GA have said there is no evidence of fraud.

It's over. 

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

There is no evidence. Trump was an unpopular president and he lost. He should be proud of the fact that he got 70 million votes. I mean that. It's an impressive feat. He's been complaining about voter fraud all year and his base ran with it. It just didn't happen. Even Republican election officials in GA have said there is no evidence of fraud.

It's over. 

F that!

nothing-is-over

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Erik88 said:

It's over. 

Certainly there is evidence; the fact that Biden is being touted as the winner is the evidence. No way the American voters picked Biden over Trump. But I agree with you that its over. We will now get exactly what we deserve.

3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Certainly there is evidence; the fact that Biden is being touted as the winner is the evidence. No way the American voters picked Biden over Trump. But I agree with you that its over. We will now get exactly what we deserve.

I am not sure there is no evidence, the whole dominion software thing seems to be enough evidence to invalidate enough state's elections to make a difference.  And IMO, enough evidence to line up a few people up against the wall without the option of a blindfold.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Omega said:

I am not sure there is no evidence, the whole dominion software thing seems to be enough evidence to invalidate enough state's elections to make a difference.  And IMO, enough evidence to line up a few people up against the wall without the option of a blindfold.  

Oh, I agree there is evidence, the problem is time. Generally in a crime you are dealing few a few people at most, in limited locations. Here you have thousands of criminals spread across the country, throughout many jurisdictions. There’s just no way that can be proven prior to January.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:01 PM, 1gewehr said:

I sent the below letter to the President's office:

Should the President have to leave office, there are several actions he can legally take to correct injustice.   I will detail one such below.
In 1968, Congress passed the Gun Control Act changing the rules regarding legally-owned weapons registered according to the 1934 National Firearms Act (NFA).  As part of that change, the law allows for the government to have periodic Amnesties, where these firearms may be legally registered.  Currently, an Amnesty is the only way for such firearms to be legally registered.  No such Amnesty has occurred since 1968.
The amnesty period statute (section 207(d) of the GCA) is codified in United States Statutes at Large (Volume 82, 1969, page 1236), as follows:

"The Secretary of the Treasury, after publication in the Federal Register of his intention to do so, is authorized to establish such periods of amnesty, not to exceed 90 days in the case of any single period, and immunity from liability during any such period, as the Secretary determines will contribute to the purposes of this title."

The BATF&E is now part of the Justice Department, not Treasury.  As such, the President can direct the Justice Department to declare a 90-day NFA Amnesty, allowing the many owners of NFA firearms to make their firearms legal for the first time since 1968.

Others may want to do so as well.  I can imagine heads exploding if President Trump declares a 90-day NFA Amnesty!!

This has about as much chance of being acted on as Jonathan Swift's original "A Modest Proposal" had ...

• Like 1

This is probably currently the best chance we've ever had for this happening. While probably not likely, I could see something like this happen. I've got a feeling, if Trump does in fact loose, that he won't be afraid to go "scorched earth" on his way out.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:37 AM, DaveTN said:

Oh, I agree there is evidence, the problem is time. Generally in a crime you are dealing few a few people at most, in limited locations. Here you have thousands of criminals spread across the country, throughout many jurisdictions. There’s just no way that can be proven prior to January.

And come January, it will all go away and you'll never hear another word about it. Sadly, if Binden takes office we will never know the truth, because they won't even take a look at it.

Trump tried to take on the Machine, but it was just too much for him to do. It was all setup awhile ago, by even people in his own administration. This country is gone, most people are just to blind to know it, and I think we all know what it will take to get it back. 

1 hour ago, m16ty said:

This is probably currently the best chance we've ever had for this happening. While probably not likely, I could see something like this happen. I've got a feeling, if Trump does in fact loose, that he won't be afraid to go "scorched earth" on his way out.

The problem with your theory is that Trump doesn't give a rip about guns, gun rights, gun owners, the NFA or anything else mentioned here.  He may indeed go out "scorched earth", but it won't be a version that has anything even remotely to do with Second Amendment rights ...

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

The problem with your theory is that Trump doesn't give a rip about guns, gun rights, gun owners, the NFA or anything else mentioned here.  He may indeed go out "scorched earth", but it won't be a version that has anything even remotely to do with Second Amendment rights ...

Maybe he doesn't give a flip about gun rights, but if he knows he could piss off a liberal, he may would do it for that fact alone.

Aside from the "bump stock ban" Trump has been pretty indifferent towards gun rights. I'll take that any day than somebody like Biden, or eventrually Harris, that is going to take an active role to try to disarm us.

2 minutes ago, m16ty said:

Maybe he doesn't give a flip about gun rights, but if he knows he could piss off a liberal, he may would do it for that fact alone.

Aside from the "bump stock ban" Trump has been pretty indifferent towards gun rights. I'll take that any day than somebody like Biden, or eventrually Harris, that is going to take an active role to try to disarm us.

Ever breathe he takes is enough to piss off liberals.  He doesn't have to do anything else to accomplish that ...

As Pres. Trump was not of the swamp, an outsider, the leftest tried to shut him down in fear of what he would do the their lives. Sad that the people our country still just does not get it, just how bad the .gov is.

I do believe that if not for our firearms we would be something like russia lite.

• Like 1