Welp......it’s time. Total Knee Replacement

Randall53

• Admin Team

They make some great knees these days. Likely a far cry better than the one you’ve got.

They’re going to get you up the same day to start PT. You’re going to hate them and their families for coming generations. But channel that hate into doing the PT religiously. You be back on the lake in no time.

Prayers you’ll stay healthy. 

• Like 2

I've had my bionic knee for 2 years now.  It works far better than the fragmented remains of the one I was born with.  As others have noted, the PT is not one of those things you spend the rest of your life wishing to repeat, but it's a necessary evil that goes a long way in determining how successful your replacement actually is.  Good luck ...

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

They make some great knees these days. Likely a far cry better than the one you’ve got.

They’re going to get you up the same day to start PT. You’re going to hate them and their families for coming generations. But channel that hate into doing the PT religiously. You be back on the lake in no time.

Prayers you’ll stay healthy. 

Thank you MacGyver.  My doctor said the ones they are using now are far better than the ones they used just 6 years ago. I guess it’s like computers...LOL. I’m kinda dreading it, but I’ve had enough of the pain. I’m going to miss my favorite time of the year to crappie fish, but I’ll be ready in the spring. 

35 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Best of luck to you! let us know how it goes.

Are they going to let your wife stay at the hospital with you? How long will you have to be there? 

Thank you DaveTN. I will as soon as I get settled at home. She is going to be able to stay, or so they said last Friday at the pre admission appointment since the COVID virus wasn’t at a critical stage. At that time they said I’d probably spend one night and about 75% of the patients do. But I got a call this morning and the hospital is now trying to get everyone out the same day unless absolutely necessary for someone to have to stay so now I’m not so sure. I guess something changed in the COVID department. The Thanksgiving rush I suppose. 

21 minutes ago, peejman said:

Dad has had both of his done.  I learned 3 things from his experience.... do the therapy, do the therapy, and don't ever stop doing the therapy. 

These things can be a little noisy, but they're great for keeping swelling down. 

https://www.amazon.com/Cryotherapy-Circulating-Personal-Universal-Inflammation/dp/B07G9K1J6K

Yep. Therapy is the secret to recovery for sure! I was offered that, but declined. It’s $250 that I don’t really have and I’ve been using ice packs for years, so I’ll have to tough it out. Thanks for the reference though 👍

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

I've had my bionic knee for 2 years now.  It works far better than the fragmented remains of the one I was born with.  As others have noted, the PT is not one of those things you spend the rest of your life wishing to repeat, but it's a necessary evil that goes a long way in determining how successful your replacement actually is.  Good luck ...

Thanks No_one. I hope mine turns out as good as other folks I know that have had it.  Everyone says I’ll hate the first 2 weeks but then when it’s over it’s great. Like I mentioned, I’ve had 3 surgeries on it already so I’m very familiar with PT....and thanks for the encouragement! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

Yep. Therapy is the secret to recovery for sure! I was offered that, but declined. It’s $250 that I don’t really have and I’ve been using ice packs for years, so I’ll have to tough it out. Thanks for the reference though 👍

There's a good chance you know someone who already has one of these, if so, borrow it.  If not, get one. Pronto. Now. Without fail. Don't leave home without it. The "ice machine" is infinitely better cold therapy than ice packs, in my case it offered the only real comfort I got for several weeks after the surgery.  Mine was on fairly constantly while I was home.  I can't stress enough (if you can't already tell from earlier in this post) how important I think having one of these is.  I too made the mistake initially of not obtaining one, I learned quickly how wrong I was once a friend loaned me the one his mother used.  You say it's an extra $250, I say it's a bargain at $1000 ...

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

Thanks No_one. I hope mine turns out as good as other folks I know that have had it.  Everyone says I’ll hate the first 2 weeks but then when it’s over it’s great. Like I mentioned, I’ve had 3 surgeries on it already so I’m very familiar with PT....and thanks for the encouragement! 

I've been through 3 knee surgeries and 3 lower back surgeries as well, even so far as a 5 level fusion.  The PT after TKR is, shall we say, a good bit more "intensive" than similar experiences after any of my prior surgeries.  It may take longer than 2 weeks for the "intensity" to lessen, but it will, eventually.  The use you get from the knee afterwards is directly related to how well you do the PT though, another lesson I learned "the hard way" ...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, No_0ne said:

There's a good chance you know someone who already has one of these, if so, borrow it.  If not, get one. Pronto. Now. Without fail. Don't leave home without it. The "ice machine" is infinitely better cold therapy than ice packs, in my case it offered the only real comfort I got for several weeks after the surgery.  Mine was on fairly constantly while I was home.  I can't stress enough (if you can't already tell from earlier in this post) how important I think having one of these is.  I too made the mistake initially of not obtaining one, I learned quickly how wrong I was once a friend loaned me the one his mother used.  You say it's an extra $250, I say it's a bargain at $1000 ...

Sorry...a goof.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

My "store bought knee" is 8 years old and has been a blessing. Surgery was done in October of 2012 and the following April I did a 100 mile bicycle ride. Since then I have logged just over 50,000 miles on the bike and on my last xray it showed no wear. I had a rented ice machine for a few days after going home which my insurance paid for if I remember correctly. you should check into that with your surgeon.

• Like 2

Had my left knee replaced 2 years ago. It is not as good as the one God gave me, but much less pain than the old one. I would do it again. Did the PT religiously and recovered 85% in  4 weeks. First two is worst, but I took a pain pill 45 min before going to P T. Helped a bunch. I had problems because I did not know what pain killer I could take. The first one the gave me made me sick. Changed and off to the races I went.  My new one is not as flexible as my real one was. Can't ride a bicycle any longer. Only gripe I got. 

Edited by pop pop
1 hour ago, Tuffus said:

My "store bought knee" is 8 years old and has been a blessing. Surgery was done in October of 2012 and the following April I did a 100 mile bicycle ride. Since then I have logged just over 50,000 miles on the bike and on my last xray it showed no wear. I had a rented ice machine for a few days after going home which my insurance paid for if I remember correctly. you should check into that with your surgeon.

Thanks Tuffus. I’m hoping for that kind of success. I’m not much of a bike rider anymore, but I do a lot of hiking in the mountains. Well, I say a lot I used to do a lot like I did 5 miles on my 65th birthday, but with this knee I’ve been very limited the last 2 years. I’m hoping I can build that back up. My insurance won’t do the ice machine and I’m sure they are great, but I have 3 friends that have had this done in the past year and a half and didn’t use one. I’ll check again though.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, No_0ne said:

There's a good chance you know someone who already has one of these, if so, borrow it. 

I should have suggested this. The one my dad used came from my sister, who had knee surgery years ago. She got it from one of her friends who bought it. Point being, ask around, you might find one you could borrow/rent/buy. 

1 hour ago, pop pop said:

My new one is not as flexible as my real one was.

This is the problem dad has. He quit the therapy and both knees have tightened back up considerably. I catch him still doing the "penguin waddle" walk sometimes. I ask if his knees hurt, he says no, and starts walking normally. The lack of flexibility is most obvious when he's on stairs. 

2 hours ago, Randall53 said:

Thanks Tuffus. I’m hoping for that kind of success. I’m not much of a bike rider anymore, but I do a lot of hiking in the mountains. Well, I say a lot I used to do a lot like I did 5 miles on my 65th birthday, but with this knee I’ve been very limited the last 2 years. I’m hoping I can build that back up. My insurance won’t do the ice machine and I’m sure they are great, but I have 3 friends that have had this done in the past year and a half and didn’t use one. I’ll check again though.

It won't happen overnight but if you do the rehab religiously (especially the stretching) you will be a new man.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, peejman said:

I should have suggested this. The one my dad used came from my sister, who had knee surgery years ago. She got it from one of her friends who bought it. Point being, ask around, you might find one you could borrow/rent/buy. 

This is the problem dad has. He quit the therapy and both knees have tightened back up considerably. I catch him still doing the "penguin waddle" walk sometimes. I ask if his knees hurt, he says no, and starts walking normally. The lack of flexibility is most obvious when he's on stairs. 

That's exactly what has happened to me. After my second TKR and completion of PT, I did slow down and eventually stopped home exercise. BIG MISTAKE!

"Penguin waddle" says it all. I've started a new round of PT for some foot issues, and it has been amazing. My walk has improved by at least 50% in just a short time. But the downside is that my knees are throbbing considerable with the change in step and stride. 

So yes, keep up the exercising!

3 hours ago, Randall53 said:

Ok, my "goof" post earlier was an attempt to get you one of these devices.

I had one that was probably 10 years old. My wife used it on her knee, and I've used it for both of mine. 

I was planning on offering it to you, but my wife said the hoses from the motor pumping the cold water out were worn out and leaking. So she had discarded it when I was finished last time.

I'm sorry to even have brought it up, but it is a very helpful device. Please ask around and see if you can borrow one. It will be worth the efforts.

Ask the PT people if they can help you out. They might know of previous clients with one to lend. 

Good luck with the surgery. It's so old hat with the orthopedists now they can do it in their sleep. Be prepared to get up, or be gotten up, as soon as you wake in recovery and they think you are awake and aware. At least to stand or maybe a step or two.

I think I was still half asleep when they pulled me up. Won't lie. It hurt. But the drugs at this point are so strong you will shrug it off.

Don't try to "be a man" and refuse the pain meds. It will cause you pain!  More than is necessary. Take them as offered. As frequently as they come around. If you stay overnight, every 4 hours seems to be the norm. At 3 hrs 45 min, call for them. It's for your good. You'll find it better in the long run. Doc and PT will try to get you off them soon enough.

Recap: Take your meds. Do all the PT. Do at home on your own. Take meds as prescribed and on time. It does get better sooner than you might think.

And last but not least...don't stop moving. Don't sit too long. You will not like the results. Ask me how I know. lol

Prayers for you my friend.

• Like 1