Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've always kept a pretty good supply of reloading components on hand. I currently have a good supply of both factory and reloaded ammo and don't really need to reload at the moment. However,  I do have components to make a very large amount (thousands) of rounds of ammo in various calibers. 
Since I do have loaded ammo on hand, I've just been sitting on this supply just in case. I suppose if push come to shove, I could sell off some bullets, primer and powder. But honestly, I don't really need the money. 
Likewise, I have no friends in dire need either. 
I could go ahead and load this stuff up which would contribute considerably to my own supply. However, I wouldn't be able to sell any of it. And then that opens the questions of when, if and how much to resupply? 
Is it foolish of me to sit on and basically hoard these components or should a just go ahead and load 'em up and have shootable ammo ready to go? 
 

Link to post

"Is it foolish of me to sit on and basically hoard these components or should a just go ahead and load 'em up and have shootable ammo ready to go?"

Not in my opinion.  Unless you're sure what you will need in the future there's a lot more flexibility by having components.  You have adequate supplies of loaded ammo, components and equipment to reload what you need to replace.  Sounds like a good plan to me.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
39 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I've always kept a pretty good supply of reloading components on hand. I currently have a good supply of both factory and reloaded ammo and don't really need to reload at the moment. However,  I do have components to make a very large amount (thousands) of rounds of ammo in various calibers. 
Since I do have loaded ammo on hand, I've just been sitting on this supply just in case. I suppose if push come to shove, I could sell off some bullets, primer and powder. But honestly, I don't really need the money. 
Likewise, I have no friends in dire need either. 
I could go ahead and load this stuff up which would contribute considerably to my own supply. However, I wouldn't be able to sell any of it. And then that opens the questions of when, if and how much to resupply? 
Is it foolish of me to sit on and basically hoard these components or should a just go ahead and load 'em up and have shootable ammo ready to go? 
 

You act as if hoarding were something bad ...

image.png.23715ca8ed21d5f0000939d671f8e52f.png

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post

If you don't need it loaded, sit on it. You can always load as needed,  and or sell if needed.

You're in great shape. We all should be so fortunate.

JMHO

  • Like 2
Link to post

Unless you've got 100'000 primers or you're 90 years old relax. Keep them dry and use as needed.

Link to post
Posted (edited)

If you keep powder, primers and such apart you can always help another out. If loaded to make rounds, well all that is left is to shoot the rounds.

One more thing, PM me for my address to get added to your will.😇

Edited by RED333
Because I can
  • Haha 2
Link to post

Sounds like you are in an ideal situation. I’m not yet in that situation, but once I’m there I think I would load enough to shoot 4-6 months at a time, or to survive the first couple waves of zombies, and then load more as needed. Worse case scenario, if you ever needed money for any reason you could easily sell off the components, or once you’ve passed if your family isn’t quite as into shooting as you they would have a much easier time selling the components than your loaded ammunition. I’m only 40, but a lot of my gun/ammo purchases at this point have ease of future resale in mind, as my kids just aren’t anywhere into it like I am. For probably the last 10 years anytime we have gone into a store that sells ammunition I have always bought a box (if they’ve had any) and often tell my wife and kids when they roll their eyes that I’m “investing in their future” or “investing in precious metals”.

Whatever route you go, don’t feel guilty that you are in your position. You are there because you’ve built yourself a life that provided you the means to prepare for “whatever may come” and you’ve obviously had the foresight and discipline to do just that. I for one salute you, and am trying my best to emulate.

  • Like 2
Link to post

I learned a few things in SERE School, one of which was to "Go Ugly Early".  That was in reference to using what you could find in the field to survive and save the rations for when you couldn't find anything and were in dire need.  I do this with my reloading supplies, I cast and reload to shoot and save my commercial bullets for hunting and SD use.  I have very few commercially loaded rounds left, but those too are put aside.  I have plenty of, and continue to add to, reloading supplies, if I were to reload everything I have I wouldn't need to reload for the rest of my life unless SHTF.  I have a full combat load for each of my weapons, I just reload what I will use in the near future and leave the rest as components in case I need or want to do any trading or selling as I do not/will not sell any reloads.

  • Like 2
Link to post

We load in the winter when the weather's bad. We do an estimated years worth at a time. that usually keeps us 1 or 2 years worth ahead of consumption.

Link to post

I like to keep a good supply of loaded ammo handy, but also like to keep a good supply of assorted reloading supplies handy as well. I like to try new loads. Also, sure as I loaded thousands of rounds of something, there'd be something I decided I didn't like about that particular load.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Posted (edited)

I was fortunate enough to learn after the Sandyhook shooting, I stockpiled up on 45acp. Reloading components, I've amassed 110,000 LG Pistol Primers, 40# of Powder, and 35,000 200grn swc. and probably at least 80,000-100,000 pieces of 45acp Brass, and about 35,000 rnds loaded up, wish I could have foreseen that I just got into the 9mm scene, but never bought any Small Pistol Primers. If they ever come back in-stock I'll be stocking up again.

Edited by DJTC45
  • Like 1
Link to post

Grayfox I don't know how old you are, but I am in similar circumstances. I have several loaded rounds, but I got to thinking that at some point my mind or body may not be up to loading good safe rounds. So I think I am going to fill up every piece of brass I have while I am able. I should run out of primers by the time I get most of the brass filled. The kids and grandkids all shoot, so it won't go to waste. But I am onery enough to stay around and shoot all of it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
6 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Grayfox I don't know how old you are, but I am in similar circumstances. I have several loaded rounds, but I got to thinking that at some point my mind or body may not be up to loading good safe rounds. So I think I am going to fill up every piece of brass I have while I am able. I should run out of primers by the time I get most of the brass filled. The kids and grandkids all shoot, so it won't go to waste. But I am onery enough to stay around and shoot all of it.

Do It! Then you can say..."I'm shooting up my kid's inheritance!"  LOL!

  • Like 2
Link to post
8 hours ago, DJTC45 said:

I was fortunate enough to learn after the Sandyhook shooting, I stockpiled up on 45acp. Reloading components, I've amassed 110,000 LG Pistol Primers, 40# of Powder, and 35,000 200grn swc. and probably at least 80,000-100,000 pieces of 45acp Brass, and about 35,000 rnds loaded up, wish I could have foreseen that I just got into the 9mm scene, but never bought any Small Pistol Primers. If they ever come back in-stock I'll be stocking up again.

i never got into re-loading, but I will guarantee you this. If it does return to something like last year or before; I will be buying primers and powders for barter! That's like hoarding gold these days!

  • Like 1
Link to post

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I will sit on most of this stuff for a while. I've got plenty of ammo on hand and having components will give more flexibility to future needs as I may choose to change bullet weights, powder charges or something for a particular caliber. Never really know what tomorrow may bring? 

  • Like 2
Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

I had to shoot less. There was plenty else to do hobby wise. I spend more time casting bullets and working on my casting gear. I had ample brass for a life time from range pickups before the first famine. 

Lead bullets: The retirement plan was to have enough guns and equipment in place not to have to spend more money. Right? That did not last long. Anyway I have moved away from jacketed bullets for the handguns.  Work has moved to the back burner on committed 30 caliber rifles for lead bullets.  However, the set up do handgun bullets is complete. I had a couple of real hauls of good second hand reloading gear. When things get "normal"  again the focus will change back to more shooting.  Well, not exactly, since lead is getting hard to find. True, it's always something.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
 
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.