Now say it ain't about money.

loadedp3at

They started out as a mediocre site, not much more than a garage sale with no advertisers. It’s turned into a slick site, just better than Craigslist. With viewer comes advertisers and free money. They are killing themselves. Don’t fret, just let it die a natural death. Don’t view the site and the advertisers with go away and so will their money. If they don’t realize that, it will simply return once again to a garage sale site. About Money? Oh Yeah. Too many thing are! 

It's happening to appease the government and to keep them from comming after them. If its a "pay for" service vs. free then they can tell those idiots that their customers are providing proper information and aren't criminals looking to buy ghost "gats"  or something like that. 

24 minutes ago, kwe45919 said:

It's happening to appease the government and to keep them from comming after them. If its a "pay for" service vs. free then they can tell those idiots that their customers are providing proper information and aren't criminals looking to buy ghost "gats"  or something like that. 

They’re also neatly packaging up their user’s information for when it might be subpoenaed.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

A site like armslist is necessarily about the money.  Bandwidth and server infrastructure isn’t cheap.

Organizations do some stupid stuff sometimes - but rarely do the purposefully blow the whole thing up.

I have no idea what their finances look like - but I’d be willing to bet they’re not great.  I’d also be willing to bet if there was any other way to make ends meet they’d take it.  Not a lot of big companies are willing to do advertising on gun sites these days. Those that do are often filtered through aggregators where surprisingly little money actually flows to the site.

There’s a second scenario - which is they’ve figured out that there’s a smaller group of people who are quite willing to pay for the services they provide and they actually make more money with fewer customers and less heartache.

Regardless, if a service is worth something, it’s worth paying something for.  Support the things you care about - whether it’s a community like TGO (where benefactors literally keep the lights on) or it’s your local newspaper or the nonprofit down the street. 

• Like 1

I was cruising Armslist yesterday and got a message that I had to log in to read descriptions. Sure nuff, I could see pictures, but all the writing was blurred.  However, I was a member long before they ever started charging. I just logged in with my old user name and password and everything was fine.  As a non-payer I can't message any sellers. But as mentioned, many are now putting in phone numbers. That works for me.  😉

On 9/13/2021 at 6:56 PM, MacGyver said:

A site like armslist is necessarily about the money.  Bandwidth and server infrastructure isn’t cheap.

Organizations do some stupid stuff sometimes - but rarely do the purposefully blow the whole thing up.

I have no idea what their finances look like - but I’d be willing to bet they’re not great.  I’d also be willing to bet if there was any other way to make ends meet they’d take it.  Not a lot of big companies are willing to do advertising on gun sites these days. Those that do are often filtered through aggregators where surprisingly little money actually flows to the site.

There’s a second scenario - which is they’ve figured out that there’s a smaller group of people who are quite willing to pay for the services they provide and they actually make more money with fewer customers and less heartache.

Regardless, if a service is worth something, it’s worth paying something for.  Support the things you care about - whether it’s a community like TGO (where benefactors literally keep the lights on) or it’s your local newspaper or the nonprofit down the street. 

That’s how I feel about it.  A few bucks a month isn’t too much to pay for the service IMO.   If there were something better, that might be debatable.