First

HillbillyD

My father went to our local Ace Hardware and ordered me a brand new H&R 058 Topper with two interchangeable barrels. One is a 20 gauge with modified choke, the other chambered in 30-30 Winchester. I still have the gun and box. That combo has accounted for a lot of game through the years. I need to dig it out of the back of the safe and hunt with it again sometime. I was 10 at the time. I remember him paying $100.

• Like 2

Marlin 99M1. Got it for Christmas when I was 12. Its the same action as the Model 60, but with a 16" barrel and made to resemble a M1 Carbine. Great little rifle. 👍

I fell on hard times in the 80s and foolishly sold it. 😪 But I have replaced it since then. This one ain't going nowhere. 😉

QSCRwIH.jpg

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

$100 Norinco SKS new in the box with the complimentary gallon of cosmoline . . . Shot maybe 20 rounds through it.  I sold it several years later for $100 before I actually got into the hobby. I thought I did good to get my money back out of it . . . DOH!

This was my third,  still have it aslo 

32 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I wish it still had the Tasco scope that I got with it. Unfortunately. It didn’t survive the years. 

The old Japanese made Tasco scopes were hard to beat. I can't stop myself from snatching one up whenever I find them at garage sales and such.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Marlin 99M1. Got it for Christmas when I was 12. Its the same action as the Model 60, but with a 16" barrel and made to resemble a M1 Carbine. Great little rifle. 👍

I fell on hard times in the 80s and foolishly sold it. 😪 But I have replaced it since then. This one ain't going nowhere. 😉

QSCRwIH.jpg

I always wanted one of those. I’m a big M1 carbine fan. That would make quite the accompaniment for them.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Are you in your late 40’s to 50’s? I think it was a common first rifle for GenX kids

Actually, no, I am early 60's and a Baby Boomer but those Marlin 60's were mighty popular.

They had the three necessities of the day: 1) Cheap, 2) Reliable, and 3) Cheap.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RunaTuna said:

My dad gave me a Krico semi-auto .22 that he bought in Germany in the 90s for my 12th birthday. Many a squirrel has met its end by that gun. I will give it to my future son as his first gun. 

That is a fine rifle! We’d love to see pics!

• Like 1
On 11/17/2022 at 3:10 PM, Moped said:

Mine was a Winchester Model 67 single shot .22LR rifle. 

My first was also a 67. Was my Dad's and he gave it to me when I was around 12. It is an early one before they started putting SN on them. Had a few Daisy BB guns and a Benjamin 310 .177 pellet pump up air rifle earlier. Still have the Model 67 and the 310. I should get the 67 out, it has been a few years.

• Like 1