Springfield Echelon

et45

This makes me want to compare the Beretta APX A1 to this Echelon since they both have the removable fire control system. I had the original APX and it was reliable but nothing to scream about. I handled the new APX A1 last week and it was much better. It was $474 for the fullsize. I'm going to try and see which fire control system or "chassis" looks more simpler and has less parts. The APX seems to always be left out in the cold by people even though it's reliable. 

My wife wanted to visit a few stitching shops so we went out. I stopped at a well known shop that usually has pretty decent prices . They had the Echelon and had it priced at $689. That is just tooooooo much for a plastic striker in my opinion. It's handles well and trigger feels good and reset is good but it's not a $689 gun. That is darn near H&K prices. 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

My wife wanted to visit a few stitching shops so we went out. I stopped at a well known shop that usually has pretty decent prices . They had the Echelon and had it priced at $689. That is just tooooooo much for a plastic striker in my opinion. It's handles well and trigger feels good and reset is good but it's not a $689 gun. That is darn near H&K prices. 

That’s darn near slightly used Springfield 1911 prices.

Just put all you money into factory ammo, lots of it.  Put it in safe and dry ammo storage devices. 

Would like to go on but there are two men in black suits ringing my doorbell.

"Dave's not home man"

• Haha 1
On 7/19/2023 at 8:17 PM, deerslayer said:

Been hearing this since the M&P came out way back when.  Glocks are still selling.  

exactly, and I now own more glocks than I ever have. I don't give a crap about how pretty they are or aren't I just want it to go bang when I need it to.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:17 PM, deerslayer said:

Been hearing this since the M&P came out way back when.  Glocks are still selling.  

And Glocks always will.You can take a M&P,XD,PDP,etc and a Glock to a gun show and you will probably sell the Glock before you get in the door,if not then certainly within an hr.You will probably end up taking the others back home with you.That’s why I don’t buy or trade for any plastic pistols except Glocks.

• Like 1

Glock fanboy.  I’m always skeptical about new releases, especially from companies I have not been fond of in the past.

I stopped at Outpost Armory in Franklin yesterday and played with two of these.  I am blown away.  The trigger is perfect- virtually no creep and snappy reset.  The factory sights are possibly the best combo I’ve ever seen- large yellow front with tritium insert with a rear that has a white “smile” half ring to align with.  It felt fast.  Sig-like takedown.  Balanced, great ergonomics.  Perfect texture on the grips.  Optic ready if that’s your thing.  MSRP isn’t insane ($675ish with night sights puts it in Glock territory).

My only gripe is the ambi-mag release.  When it pushes through the other side, it hits my hand on the other side.  I don’t think it would stop the mag from dropping, but it’s annoying.  I had an original G21SF years ago and dremmeled the passenger side button as low as I could get it because it was digging into me even while not pressing it.

Feature-wise, this is as perfect as a gun can get out of the box.  I can’t think of anything it “needs”. 

Edited by asu174
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I'm taking the plunge just to see what the hype is about.  I have an Echelon on the way and should have it before the weekend.  I will post initial impressions as soon as I have it, and will report back on how well it runs at the range.

For what it's worth, I am interested in seeing how well HS Produkt has married the best elements of the Glock and Sig P320.  I'm not expecting this to be a "Glock Killer" or even a "P320 Killer".  What I hope it ends up being is something that motivates both Glock and Sig to do better.

• Like 3

I went and played with one and was also pretty blown away. One thing I wrestle with, and it’s already been noted here to some degree, is that the price point is up where the made in Germany/Austria/USA plastic guys are and I don’t know a whole lot about manufacturing in the echelon’s country of origin. Anyone have any feelings one way or the other?

4 hours ago, Sciosh said:

I went and played with one and was also pretty blown away. One thing I wrestle with, and it’s already been noted here to some degree, is that the price point is up where the made in Germany/Austria/USA plastic guys are and I don’t know a whole lot about manufacturing in the echelon’s country of origin. Anyone have any feelings one way or the other?

I've had an XDM for years with zero issues. 

• Administrator
On 7/23/2023 at 6:13 AM, asu174 said:

My only gripe is the ambi-mag release.  When it pushes through the other side, it hits my hand on the other side.  I don’t think it would stop the mag from dropping, but it’s annoying.  I had an original G21SF years ago and dremmeled the passenger side button as low as I could get it because it was digging into me even while not pressing it.

Feature-wise, this is as perfect as a gun can get out of the box.  I can’t think of anything it “needs”. 

Apex Tactical has an extended, non-ambi mag release coming soon for the Echelon.  I've added it to my list mainly because I have Shrek thumbs and prefer extended mag releases so that I don't have to break my shooting grip.

It would probably solve the other problem pretty well too.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I received my Apex Tactical extended mag release maybe two weeks ago.  It's still sitting on my desk.  I need to install it sometime this weekend and give it a whirl.

Overall, I still really like the Echelon.  The only way I can see it being any better is if they release a version sized comparably to the Glock 19.

• 1 month later...