Questions about Red Dots for EDC?

Grayfox54

I really don't know a lot about red dot sights. I've got a couple on target pistols and a couple of EOTechs on rifles. But this current trend of Micro Red Dots on EDC pistols leaves me with a couple of questions. 
1. Do you leave it turned on all the time? Doesn't seem to me that there would be time to turn it on if needed.
2. Battery life? How long do they last? How difficult are they to change? 
3. Holsters? Are good concealment holsters for these hard to find? 
Anything else you'd like to add? 

I'm kinda on the fence with these. Never really saw much need for one. But I am getting older and not the shooter I once was. So I'm open to the concept. 

The newer red dots wake up when moved. The battery life is real long, if you are carrying a pistol you could replace the battery once a year. Most holsters will be cut low enough to clear the red dot. The next question is what size dot and how much you want to spend.

i occassionally carry a canik subcompact with a Romeo O.  Battery life is no where near as advertised.  The take home lesson is I change that battery every 6 months.  Have to remove and re-zero, yeah, a little hassel by not bad.  My Havens and SRO I change yearly.  Just have to know your equipment.

• Moderators

I’ve got a Holosun on my carry guns. 

1) sight is always on

2)change out batteries once a year. They have a side loading tray so they’re easy to change and do not require a removal/re-zero. 

3) most holsters are cut to accommodate optics by default at this point, and the rest invariably have it labeled for use with/without optics. 

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

Is it difficult to go back and forth from red dots to iron sights or does it affect it 

Almost everyone I know or have heard that put real time and effort into shooting pistol dots say it made them a better shooter with irons. 

• Like 3

Sleep - I wouldn't say difficult, different yes. What works best for me is not to look for the red dot, but look for the iron sights as you normally would. This makes the red dot "appear" without actually looking for it. Using this method, I can (and have) switched between carry guns with a red dot and without.

GrayFox - I rotate between a couple carry guns. I'm not a big Glock fan. I mean, you can't argue with their reliability, but I hate their triggers and their sights. I've been carrying a Shadow Systems CR920 Combat (a Glock 43X clone) with a great trigger (ok, not Walther/HK great, but still very good), night sights, and better texturing on the slide and grip. I highly recommend a Holosun EPS carry red dot (507k footprint). It's enclosed so no worries about lint, dirt, rain, snow, etc getting in the LED emitter open red dots deal with. For carry, I think it's the only way to go. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

This thread was more about satisfying my curiosity than anything else. Those questions just came to mind when I thought about the possibility of getting one. I don't currently own a gun that a micro red dot can be mounted on. Not sure if I wanna spend the money or cut up one of my current pistols either.   

I do have a Buckmark with an old Burris Fast Fire II on it. Honestly, every time I shoot it, I end up searching for the dot. 🙄

3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Almost everyone I know or have heard that put real time and effort into shooting pistol dots say it made them a better shooter with irons. 

They made me a better irons shooter because I learned to shoot more target focused.  The idea that you always have to focus on the front sight and therefore can’t pay attention to what the target is doing is becoming Fudd lore.  

• Like 3
48 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

This thread was more about satisfying my curiosity than anything else. Those questions just came to mind when I thought about the possibility of getting one. I don't currently own a gun that a micro red dot can be mounted on. Not sure if I wanna spend the money or cut up one of my current pistols either.   

I do have a Buckmark with an old Burris Fast Fire II on it. Honestly, every time I shoot it, I end up searching for the dot. 🙄

I have 2011, CZ, and Glock platforms with red dots mounted if you want to try them out sometime.  

Battery life:  most decent RDSs have at least a year of battery life, and usually more.  Holosuns have the 'shake awake' feature which means it will shut the dot off if the gun isn't moving, which saves battery power, and usually a solar panel to drive the dot if it's getting enough sunlight at the time.

"Finding the dot" is a muscle memory function and one of the biggest challenges for people transitioning to RDS for carry.  It just takes a certain amount of holster presentations before having the dot on target becomes automatic.    There is also a Holosun sight with the ACSS Vulcan reticle which is a huge assist for shooters who find themselves hunting the dot.   The ACSS reticle includes a center chevron, but there is a large surrounding circle that can be seen from almost any angle when the gun is misaligned, but disappears when the center chevron is on target.    Basically, if the chevron is visible in the window, you can align it, and if the chevron is 'off screen'  you can see part of the circle. 

Going back to irons is effortless, at least for me. 

vulcan.jpg

Edited by ken_mays
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, ken_mays said:

Battery life:  most decent RDSs have at least a year of battery life, and usually more.  Holosuns have the 'shake awake' feature which means it will shut the dot off if the gun isn't moving, which saves battery power, and usually a solar panel to drive the dot if it's getting enough sunlight at the time.

"Finding the dot" is a muscle memory function and one of the biggest challenges for people transitioning to RDS for carry.  It just takes a certain amount of holster presentations before having the dot on target becomes automatic.    There is also a Holosun sight with the ACSS Vulcan reticle which is a huge assist for shooters who find themselves hunting the dot.   The ACSS reticle includes a center chevron, but there is a large surrounding circle that can be seen from almost any angle when the gun is misaligned, but disappears when the center chevron is on target.    Basically, if the chevron is visible in the window, you can align it, and if the chevron is 'off screen'  you can see part of the circle. 

Going back to irons is effortless, at least for me. 

vulcan.jpg

I have 4 pistols with Holosun’s on them and the 507c with the ACSS reticle is my favorite. 

I recently changed this past year to red dot on my carry, wish I had done it sooner.  The best part for me is the full view, by that I mean no eye strain from lining up the sights.  Put the dot on the target and squeeze. Both eyes wide open great field of view.  I did buy a new holster that was for the red dot(worked out it is a nicer holster). I shoot red dot and iron sights at the range and have no problem switching.  I do shoot full size pistols.  Good luck with your decision.

18 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Others have answered the other questions and I would agree with the consensus here.

One option for a test would be to get one of the optics plates that replace your rear sight.  If you don't like the dot you can sell the whole setup and return to your current condition with no permanent modifications.  I wouldn't use this for a carry option but for something just to test it out would be OK.  It does take a bit of time/training to get used to but worth it in the long run.  Another piece to consider is dots seemed to have helped me out with being cross eye dominant as I was always straining with irons.

Hey there,

Have had a few red dots on handguns.

1)  Some red dots have auto off or auto dim to save battery life.  Love the auto off/on feature on the Holosun and Sig red dots I have.  My Vortex is manual on/off but it is on a target 22.  Did not like the auto dim red dot tried (cheap plastic Sig) as it won't adjust bright enough.

2) Battery life is not an issue on the ones tried.  However, it would be nice if they had some sort of battery charge indicator...none do.  More problematic is that the Sig in particular has a habit of the battery compartment cover coming unscrewed enough to lose contact...easy to fix.  The side mounted battery on the Holosun has had ZERO problems making contact.

3) Holsters are the biggest problem.  Almost worth deciding on a decent holster which will accept an optic mounted gun before deciding on which gun.  DeSantis and Sig and Blackhawk are the ones currently owned.

Would not consider getting a gun without iron sights tall enough to use with my optic of choice mounted.  Some call this co-witness which is misleading.  As long as you can see the iron sights through the mounted optic for backup, it will work

Keeping the lens clean is my biggest problem with carrying a red dot edc wise.  Also get a bit paranoid when carrying owb where lens can scratched.

Have gone back to carrying a handgun with a very large front dot on it.

For a range gun and shooting fun, noting beats an red dot optic

Finally, don't buy cheap, buy good!

Edited by JustEd
20 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

On something like a Buckmark which was designed for irons it takes a bit of practice to present the weapon properly  On My Taurus TX220 tactical with Vortex mounted a mile over the bore is the same way.  Guns like my Sig P320 or Hellcat seem to point much more naturally with a red dot on them.  Think the main difference is height of dot above the bore compared of height of irons above the bore.  Get the dot too far up and it just feel unnatural.