Christmas

Erik88

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Do they have Calhoun's in middle TN? I try to avoid going there at all costs. The owner does not have a great reputation and the food hasn't improved since the 90's. 

Hard stop for me when they pulled corn pudding from the menu a while back. It's just really expensive bbq these days.  And not great bbq at that. 

• Like 1

I have 3 kids age 5, 3, and 1. To see the joy and excitement for them as the build up to Christmas is fun, I’m not gonna lie. But for me I completely get anxiety about buying gifts for sisters and brothers in law etc. not because of money really but just the idea that we have to buy a gift to represent some form of love? How about we just exhange heartfelt “I love you’s” and have a drink? I’d love to reserve the gift giving for children but alas no one listens to me. My wife and I probably Huy too much for Christmas but we really do try to keep it moderate as it can be overwhelming for small children plus we want to set an example that we “don’t get everything”. Now my mother in law who had excessive amounts of discretional funds is another story. She buys so much ..ish that the kids are tired before all the presents are unwrapped. That gives me the same anxiety they @Erik88 is feeling I’m sure. Just unadulterated consumerism. But it’s tough to get it reeled in. At the end of the day we teach our kids about the true meaning of Christmas and as they get older we’ll strive to drive it home more as they’re ability to grasp the concept grows. Until then I hope Nana saves the Reciepts because 75% of the ..ish is going back where it came from. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My kids are teens now (or close enough) so the Santa stuff is over. So now, there's very little to look forward to. They are still pretty grateful, but they don't want toys and stuff anymore. Now it's money or some... oddball thing that doesn't really make sense to me.

TBH, I'll be glad when it's over. I should be enjoying life since i'm out of work but instead i just have the dread of shopping, traffic, crazy people and the inevitable return to work. I guess this is mid-life? Lord help me.

• Like 4
  • Authorized Vendor

My youngest is 39....I think😀... so Christmas has lost that glimmer compared to when they were little. We buy gifts for the grandkids (not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination) but it's all good. The missus and I don't exchange gifts as we get most of what we want whenever we please. I'm home alone this Christmas as the missus went to help out with her daughter after surgery and will stay there for Christmas and get her fill of the four grandkids.😀 She sounds ready to come home. 

I'm not suffering here at home since I have three pups to make me laugh and Die Hard in the que. I'll be happy to get her home since I couldn't ask for a better partner.

I'll fire up the TV tomorrow for Die hard and have a Jack and Coke and play with the pups.  Life is good. After all I just can't get upset with what Christmas has become as I'm doing my best to lead a stress free life.

Merry Christmas everyone.

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Grand Torino said:

My youngest is 39....I think😀... so Christmas has lost that glimmer compared to when they were little. We buy gifts for the grandkids (not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination) but it's all good. The missus and I don't exchange gifts as we get most of what we want whenever we please. I'm home alone this Christmas as the missus went to help out with her daughter after surgery and will stay there for Christmas and get her fill of the four grandkids.😀 She sounds ready to come home. 

I'm not suffering here at home since I have three pups to make me laugh and Die Hard in the que. I'll be happy to get her home since I couldn't ask for a better partner.

I'll fire up the TV tomorrow for Die hard and have a Jack and Coke and play with the pups.  Life is good. After all I just can't get upset with what Christmas has become as I'm doing my best to lead a stress free life.

That's the best reply I've read in this thread. GT have a Merry Christmas to you and every TGO member here. Hope you all have a great one and enjoy your loved ones.

We probably overdo the presents in my family, but like Lumber Jack I sort of revel in my eight-year-old's  excitement.  (This may be her last year of all the Santa stuff.)  Anyway, this week my daughter has been too keyed up to fall asleep, so we read aloud at bedtime.

This week we've read chapters 2 & 3 of Luke over several nights and we talk about it - what's a census, what's the heavenly host, etc.  For me it's the privilege of a lifetime.

I'm happy, blessed, and grateful.  Wishing all the same to you guys. Merry Christmas!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Our boys are teenagers now, so we've told them that the childhood idea of Santa Claus becomes the spirit of Santa Claus as you get older. The joy of giving is the spirit of Santa.  I'm not sure they get that, but they probably won't until they have kids of their own. 

Merry Christmas everyone. My kids are grown. That makes me sad that I no longer get to see them so excited that can’t hardly open presents. It’s all quite in the house now as I live alone. But I’m so excited that my kids will be here later today. And all my grandkids. The quietness of this place will be pushed out the door. And I’ll love every minute of it. God is good. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Starting our day with a family breakfast after present opening. Having the works, country ham, bacon. sausage, biscuits and gravy, along with scrambled eggs. Don't have any young ones any longer. Youngest is 14. Then will feed them Christmas dinner again at 5. Long day for my wife and me, but we love it.

Good to have family during the holidays. We also have wife's 91 Y O sister who fell and broke her hip 3 weeks ago.  My wife did not want her to go to a rehab center, because of their lack of care now a days, so she took her in. Sweetie is a retired RN. Sister is improving, however very slow. Still does not need to go home alone yet.

Looks like we are in for a busy day around "Reed Manor" today. 

Hope all of you have a Merry Christmas. I feel good this morning and getting ready for the day. At my age, "I'm just so proud to be here" as Mini Pearl always spoke many times. 

Hers hoping a good, fun day for you all.

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
On 12/24/2023 at 9:35 AM, Grand Torino said:

You are a beacon of light in a dark world, sir!

• Haha 1

Well another Christmas has come and gone.  I made it through it I had to pray for patience a lot and most of the Rum has disappeared lol    But I was making progress it was nearing the end   I had visions of unending College football when my wife said to the entire family we would be happy to host a New Year’s Eve party.  I need your prayers  lol  Hope everybody had a wonderful Christmas. 

• Haha 1

We had a good Christmas day. Accomplished all our goals and ended it all with opening gifts, last evening, after a fine meal(16 souls). Up this morning and headed to the trash place after it opens today.

Oh well, another successful Christmas in the behind. Got much more than we deserved. Family, during the holidays, is totally grand. One daughter and grandson going to be with us until Thursday then they fly back to Florida.

Hope you guys had a good day as well. 

Christmas #1 at our house was good. Sausage balls for breakfast. Minor flaw in that the neat R/C Willys jeep my son got didn't come with a battery. Oops. 

Then to Christmas #2 across town at the in-laws, which was good too. Lunch was great and I ate way too much of it. The kids got to play with their cousins, even if it was rainy and ugly most of the day. 

Off to Christmas #3 with my parents tomorrow. 

Hope everyone had a good day. 

5 hours ago, Sleep profit said:

Well another Christmas has come and gone.  I made it through it I had to pray for patience a lot and most of the Rum has disappeared lol    But I was making progress it was nearing the end   I had visions of unending College football when my wife said to the entire family we would be happy to host a New Year’s Eve party.  I need your prayers  lol  Hope everybody had a wonderful Christmas. 

We finished up all the festivities this morning. Wife is putting up the decorations now, and said we’re getting the hell outta here for a few days.😄Looks like I’ll be going with her.

• Like 1