Slide drop on an empty chamber. Okay /No Way?

The only guns I really care about are 1911s for the reasons Massad mentions. Even then, it's only the nicer ones I'm very concerned about. No one wants to mess up a Nighthawk or Wilson Combat.

Personally, I don't make it a matter of practice to drop the slide on any semi-auto.

Edited by bubbadavis
  • Like 1

I never let the slide slam home on an empty chamber AND I don't use the slide-stop as a "slide release". One time I saw a gun store employee at a very nice well known store in Camden sitting behind the counter locking the slide back on a pistol and then pushing the slide-stop and letting the slide slam home. He did it over and over. I just think it's not good to do that on any gun that is not yours. I'm sure the innards on the 1911's are more susceptible to damage by this action but there's no need to do this to any gun in my opinion. Also , like he said with the revolvers , I agree 100% that it's stupid to jerk a revolver and slam the cylinder inward to lock it. But this is just my opinion.聽

• Like 1

I don't do it. Pistols are designed to use the loading round as sort of a buffer to slow down the slide. On an empty chamber, you're slamming steel on steel. However, I've never heard of a gun being damaged by it either. I guess if you did it a lot?聽馃檮

I can tell you for absolute fact that dropping a round in the open chamber of a 1911 and releasing the slide on it will damage the extractor. I learned that one the hard way many years ago.聽聽馃檮

As for the wrist flip on a revolver, over time it can affect the crane alignment. Not good.聽

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Spiffy said:

If you have a super tuned extractor it makes sense, but for 99% of us it's not an issue on a Glock or something like that.

This is my thought. If you have some fine tuned designer pistol, i absolutely get it. But for a duty pistol? How often are you REALLY dropping the slide dry? Yeah i'm sure it damages it microscopically but i figure by the time it's done enough damage to matter.. the pistol is probably due other parts anyway.

23 minutes ago, NoBanStan said:

This is my thought. If you have some fine tuned designer pistol, i absolutely get it. But for a duty pistol? How often are you REALLY dropping the slide dry? Yeah i'm sure it damages it microscopically but i figure by the time it's done enough damage to matter.. the pistol is probably due other parts anyway.

I鈥檝e seen competitive shooters do it 10 times per match. 聽

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I think this is mostly what Mas was getting at.聽 The "show clear" in pistol shooting generally involves dropping the slide on an empty chamber.聽 The issue is do you ride the slide home or just pop the release and let it slam?

Probably not a big issue for serious competitors with race guns as they get lots maintenance and parts replaced on a schedule. If that habit carries over to defensive work and you carry a 1911 variant, then that's something you might want to think about.聽

23 minutes ago, peejman said:

I think this is mostly what Mas was getting at.聽 The "show clear" in pistol shooting generally involves dropping the slide on an empty chamber.聽 The issue is do you ride the slide home or just pop the release and let it slam?

I gently ride the slide so the d-bag who holds the timer six inches from your gun doesn鈥檛 add four seconds to your raw time because he also picked up the ULSC.聽

37 minutes ago, kwe45919 said:

So when I clean and lube and rack the slide back n forth to distribute the oil on my Glocks does that count? 馃

I do it pretty violently and occasionally my hand slips and it slams home. 馃槀

When I distribute the oil in my rails after a cleaning , I ride the slide with my hands and control it back and forth.聽

It's an interesting mental exercise, but I don't own a 1911 and although I've been doing it for decades, I don't think I do so frequently enough to worry myself.

But what do I'm know, I'm also that idiot who doesn't avoid stepping on cracks at the risk of breaking my poor mother's back.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

When I distribute the oil in my rails after a cleaning , I ride the slide with my hands and control it back and forth.聽

This is what I do with every new gun I get to help break it in. Sit on the couch and cycle the slide a couple hundred times.聽

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Yeah but you can slowly lower the slide if you want to. But us of the fancy shirts followers of the flip and catch can't afford that much time loss....... LOL聽

To add to the topic most extractors are spring loaded these days. I can't think of a non 1911/2011 style handgun that doesn't have a spring loaded extractor. There was a couple of Sig 1911 styles that had one and didn't work worth a ####.