Upcoming surgery.

Went to My bone Dr today and got the results of an MRI I had Monday on my left shoulder. Bone spurs and impingement in my left shoulder. Appears not much damage to the rotator cuff so I am glad for that. Won't know fully until they get in there.

Impending surgery is scheduled for 26th of February.  Been dealing with pain for over 20 months, but was on blood thinners for over a year, and they would not repair the shoulder until off them.

Lesson learned. I had this pain 10 months before I was forced to have 4 stents put into my heart November 2 years back. Don't put off needed surgery when you know you need it. May have to live with a painful condition long after you should have seen to getting first thing taken care of. My shoulder pain has got so bad I need help putting my belt, shirt and jacket on. Word to the wise!!!!! Dr also said I was in for some heavy physical therapy because he thinks I have some minor movement decline in the raisin of my arm over my head. May be painful overcoming that since it has been so long of a problem neglected. 

• Sad 3

Will remember you in prayer, pop pop. Just got out of the hospital/rehab last week myself. Doing the rehab therapy is key. Must be done to recover.

Origionally had some surgery scheduled to remove a kidney stone next month, but after the last 2 months, I think I'm gonna wait a bit before that one.

If there is no damage to the rotator cuff the rehab might no be too bad. The bone spurs can cause damage to the rotator cuff though so it's a good thing to get that taken care of.

• Like 1

Going to have the surgery at the TOA office in Murfreesboro. Doing it with the scope and not needing to open up my shoulder, at this time. Will know more when they get in there. Grind off bone spurs and clean up joint is what he said for now. Said MRI showed some slight fraying around the rotator cuff but should be able to clean that up with the procedure.

Had the right shoulder done years back so I "Kinda" know what is in the future. Won't know for sure until after it is over. Hopefully, loose the pain and get some mobility back. Have to fight to get my coat, shirt and belt on right now. I'm a believer in P T afterwards. Thanks for the well wishes and prayers guys. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, pop pop said:

I'm a believer in P T afterwards.

This!

On Jan 31, the ortho guy rebuilt my shoulder.  Torn labrum, torn subscapularis tendon, ruptured long head bicep tendon, some bursitis-related bone spurs causing impingement in the acromion area.  Lots of pain doing anything overhead or behind my back.  Toward the end, I could barely get my wallet out of my back pocket.  I did a LOT of PT, but can now do pain free pull-ups and can throw a football 25-30 yards (not that I have any need to).  My only regret about the whole thing was waiting as long as I did.  The "you should put off surgery as long as possible" theory isn't always true.

If they are cleaning up impingements and not making heavy repairs to the big parts, you should bounce right back.  Good luck!

Edited by deerslayer

Dr said, my translation, the MRI did not show any of the big parts needed any repair, just impengment and multiple spurs. I am hoping he finds it this way, and yes, my last surgery on my right side, didn't take long to heal. Of course, I am several years older now and must factor that in now.  

Thanks for the encouragement, deerslayer. 

Edited by pop pop

We all fall out of warranty at some point, I have a few reinforced parts as well. Had similar bone spurs taken off a couple of vertebrae 10 years ago and never regretted it. Hopefully you shoot right handed. if not, there's always light loads for therapy sessions. Good luck. 

Prayers! Getting old does suck. Had whole hip replacement, (I also go through TOA), my left should is shot and takes no effort to dislocate. Pain limits movement. Had all the usual tests and he reports bad arthritis and I need full shoulder replacement. 

Hip recovery was a piece of cake. I literally walked out of my wheelchair after surgery. 

Recovery for the shoulder won't be that easy. Then knees, ugh. 

Told him to put me in a medically induced coma for a few weeks and replace the whole kitten-kaboodle in one shot.
I'm tired of surgery.

It's like every year I get one or 2...

Keep us updated if you can.

On 1/20/2024 at 6:56 AM, pop pop said:

Going to have the surgery at the TOA office in Murfreesboro. Doing it with the scope and not needing to open up my shoulder, at this time.

This is the best news. Smaller incision(s) means quicker recovery. I had a trip to the OR a few weeks ago, and the general anesthesia kicked my butt. The older you get...

I have a shoulder problem too. You are inspiring me to look into it. Best of luck to you. 

Feel your pain Bhunted. I had my right should worked on several years ago and never regretted it. Also had knee surgery, done by Dr Matthew Barrett at TOA, several years ago. I highly recommend it. My recovery was much better afteer the first 2 weeks of P therapy. P T is a must but painful. My new knee is not like what God gave me, what I am saying is it is not as maneuverable as the old one, but the absence of pain is a wonderful result so, I can deal with the knee not being as good. Will be needing the other knee replaced soon because it is aching. So far, the shots, in my right knee, are doing some good. 

Mikegideon, I am having Dr Joyner at TOA, do my shoulder. He came Via recommendation of my friend Dr Barrett. He specializes in rotator cuff stuff at TOA. Will update you after surgery. It is my left shoulder this time so my shooting arm will not be affected. Need to practice some one hand shooting for a while.

I put off doing my shoulder surgery and not taking care of it when I should have. I ended up having 4 more stents put in my heart so I was on blood thinners, and they would not do surgery on me until I got off of the 12 months later. As a result, I had to live with not being able to put my shirt, coat, and belt on for another year. I hope to not ever do that again. I could have really damaged my rotator cuff doing that. My right arm was not a hard recoup, best I remember.  Looking forward to being pain free in the left shoulder soon. Feb 26th, I hope.    

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

The only thing I have learned since getting older is it is no for sissies.....LOL. I will keep you in my prayers my friend!

This.  Gotta be tuff to get old and enjoy/endure/survive the "rust" years.  LOL