Polymer Ar-15 lowers

20 hours ago, Smith said:

As cheap as standard Al lowers are, I see no reason for a poly lower. I see no advantage and only disadvantages across the board. 

What about weight? I had a thought last week of building a real light AR for old farts. I have a couple of light barrels in the parts box.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

What about weight? I had a thought last week of building a real light AR for old farts. I have a couple of light barrels in the parts box.

Polymer lower ~4oz

Alloy lower ~10-12oz

Shaving off nearly half a pound from one part is significant.

• Like 3

OK. This thread has inspired me. I think I'm going to go for a lightweight AR. The priciest thing will be a low mass BCG. At first glance, the New Frontier Stripped lower and parts kit looks OK. I'll need a light optic too. Any suggestions? I have a Romeo on my closet gun.

And, with my new KY permit, I get to skip the background check. 

• Wow 1

I have a few of the TN Arms Co polymer lowers from a few years ago built up.  I haven't had a single issue with them.  If you are going lightweight I think the KP-15 setups are tough to beat.  Also a very slippery slope where you start losing your oz/$ pretty quick.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, FrankD said:

I have a few of the TN Arms Co polymer lowers from a few years ago built up.  I haven't had a single issue with them.  If you are going lightweight I think the KP-15 setups are tough to beat.  Also a very slippery slope where you start losing your oz/$ pretty quick.

I'ma thinkin my buddy's lower is a TN Arms...

leroy...

Plus one on the TN Arms Co. lower.  I've got a 9mm AR pistol with the polymer lower and I'm well satisfied with it.  I also built an AR10 with one of their lowers and that polymer helps shave weight off.

The weight savings make sense. Id be worried about take down pin holes and trigger pin holes wallowing out. Especially in a 9mm or 308. I did see a hybrid with metal reinforced holes. But again, unless weight is a main issues, I'd prefer an aluminum lower. 

4 hours ago, Smith said:

The weight savings make sense. Id be worried about take down pin holes and trigger pin holes wallowing out. Especially in a 9mm or 308. I did see a hybrid with metal reinforced holes. But again, unless weight is a main issues, I'd prefer an aluminum lower. 

If it wasn't for the weight difference, I probably wouldn't own a plastic gun. The New Frontier lower has a lifetime warrantee. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Rowdy said:

Plus one on the TN Arms Co. lower.  I've got a 9mm AR pistol with the polymer lower and I'm well satisfied with it.  I also built an AR10 with one of their lowers and that polymer helps shave weight off.

Have two of the TN Arms Co lowers myself -- one a lightweight .223, the other a .300 AAC.  Never a problem with either.

Cheers,

Whisper

I've tried a bunch of times to build a lightweight AR, but I have favorite parts/components that I won't live w/out. Then I see the prices on the pencil thin barrels that I don't even like. Then I realize if rifle is too light I'll want buy a really expensive trigger to compensate for the weight. By the time I'm done refusing those compromises I wind up at 8 or 9 pounds anyway, LOL.

I think what puts me off from seeing the lightweight build through is that in an ultralight 5.5lb AR the polymer lower saves less than 10% in weight. Somewhere in between, like a 7lb rifle that weight savings is only 7% and I don't have a use-case that justifies the cost to save that much weight.

Edited by BigK

I've picked up a few of the super light ARs at gunshows, like sub 6lbs. Everything is skeletonized. I like the idea but not the practicality. However, i'm one of those people who kinda associate weight with quality, so super light just feels flimsy to me. The last thing i want is a rifle that can't hold up to slight abuse.

I suppose it all depends on your frame, strength, health, use case, etc. At 6'2", it doesn't hurt my feelings to tote beefier rifle.

• Like 1

I've had a PlumCrazy poly lower for years. Had many uppers on it in various calibers. Only thing I don't like is the trigger guard can't be replaced. Trigger isn't bad, functions fine.

My New Frontier poly lower has a poly upper on it and shoots rather well for how cheaply I put it together. It is one built for my dad to carry around in the woods. At 69yrs old, he loves the weight savings over a standard AR.....

• Like 2