Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Interesting that we're having so many catastrophic transportation events under the current administration. I wonder how long it'll take for our transportation secretary to get involved THIS time?

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

Interesting that we're having so many catastrophic transportation events under the current administration. I wonder how long it'll take for our transportation secretary to get involved THIS time?

It’s Baltimore he. will get right on it.  If. it doesn’t interfere with his girls luncheon  Must have priorities in Government 

• Like 2

Thank God they were able to stop traffic due to the mayday from the ship. I can only imagine how bad this tragedy would have been otherwise.

With the port being closed now and the bridge down for who knows how long, it sure is a huge impact. That was apparently the #1 port of entry for vehicles coming into the US.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, BigK said:

Thank God they were able to stop traffic due to the mayday from the ship. I can only imagine how bad this tragedy would have been otherwise.

With the port being closed now and the bridge down for who knows how long, it sure is a huge impact. That was apparently the #1 port of entry for vehicles coming into the US.

It’s also gonna have a major impact on trucking (especially hazmat transportation) along the east coast. 

This is a big deal. 

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It’s also gonna have a major impact on trucking (especially hazmat transportation) along the east coast. 

This is a big deal. 

I bet thousands of people had their commutes tripled today as a result too.

You're right. Funneling all those semi trucks into other routes is going to be a disaster for logistics.

• Like 1

Just to save some time, here is a link to Google Maps showing its location, if you're interested.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Francis+Scott+Key+Bridge,+Baltimore,+MD/@39.2296089,-76.6271455,10z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x89c80052ddeb3cad:0xf3fb8c8f100a3e9e!8m2!3d39.2144778!4d-76.5316628!16zL20vMDR2Njgw?entry=ttu

There is a big ole red exclamation point over it on the map now.

Edited by DHF
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, DHF said:

A couple other videos of the event.  First one on a local channel's site and the second one is posted by a YouTube user and it is a longer video showing the ship approach with the hit at approx. 5:10 in.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimore-bridge-collapse-key-bridge-video/60304085

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDceU9x58vc

Wow, that YouTube video was revealing. That bridge went down instantly.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BigK said:

Wow, that YouTube video was revealing. That bridge went down instantly.

It was amazing how fast it collapsed.  I probably shouldn't have been so surprised but you think something big will take a while but it's not like there are many support points and they are all crucial.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
41 minutes ago, DHF said:

It was amazing how fast it collapsed.  I probably shouldn't have been so surprised but you think something big will take a while but it's not like there are many support points and they are all crucial.

On that note,  there’s not a bridge structure on earth that can withstand the force of impact from a 300M/97,000 ton vessel. 

• Like 7

Jaw dropping. I remember when the old Jefferson St bridge in Nashville was demolished. It was a big thing, televised event. We all watched in anticipation until the charges blew. and waited,,,and waited. Nothing happened to that unsafe for use bridge. So they did it again the next day and, nothing happened. Took demo experts three attempts to bring down an "unsafe" bridge. One freighter took down Key bridge in seconds.

Second, why does the clown in chief think it's MY tax dollars that are needed to rebuild? Baltimore, the state of Maryland, and the shipping company's insurance companies need to take care of this bridge I've never crossed or even seen in a state hundreds of miles from me and not on a federal interstate highway. Don't tell me the repercussions of this port being closed, NOT MY PROBLEM.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, papa61 said:

Jaw dropping. I remember when the old Jefferson St bridge in Nashville was demolished. It was a big thing, televised event. We all watched in anticipation until the charges blew. and waited,,,and waited. Nothing happened to that unsafe for use bridge. So they did it again the next day and, nothing happened. Took demo experts three attempts to bring down an "unsafe" bridge. One freighter took down Key bridge in seconds.

Second, why does the clown in chief think it's MY tax dollars that are needed to rebuild? Baltimore, the state of Maryland, and the shipping company's insurance companies need to take care of this bridge I've never crossed or even seen in a state hundreds of miles from me and not on a federal interstate highway. Don't tell me the repercussions of this port being closed, NOT MY PROBLEM.

For the record here, the Francis Scott Key bridge is a part of the federal interstate highway system (I-695). It is also a primary conduit of truck traffic through the area and the designated route for hazmat cargo through Baltimore. this will have a significant impact on commerce and logistics, both by land and sea for quite a while until the bridge has been rebuilt.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

For the record here, the Francis Scott Key bridge is a part of the federal interstate highway system (I-695). It is also a primary conduit of truck traffic through the area and the designated route for hazmat cargo through Baltimore. this will have a significant impact on commerce and logistics, both by land and sea for quite a while until the bridge has been rebuilt.

Yep.  I wonder how much prices in general are going to go up now due to this new hitch in the supply chain.  I’m being a bit facetious, but also serious.

Where do the boats with European ammo shipments land?  Hope it’s not around there.

• Like 7