Needing advice with purchasing an EDC.

As the title states, I'm in the market for an EDC. I have widdled down my list of potential EDC handguns down to the Canik Mete MC9, TP9 Elite SC, and the S&W M&P Shield (Plus). I have held both of the Caniks and really liked the fit of both of them. Although, I have not held the Shield. My budget is around $450 and can only decide on one of them. Otherwise, I'd try all three. I currently carry a CZ-75B Compact and the only problem I find with it is that it imprints on even the largest of my shirts regardless of where I holster it on my pants. I consistently bring one of my other firearms, the Walther P22, with me to the range mostly because I can shoot 3 times as much .22LR at the same cost of 9mm and I find its grip is outstanding for my hand size. I know a lot of people do not recommend .22LR for EDC so that leaves that gun out of the equation. I have heard exceptional things about both the TP9 Elite SC and the Shield, but the MC9 seems to be closer to what I'm looking for as I heard the trigger is very much like a Walther. I'm just curious if anyone has had any reliability issues with carrying or shooting any of the three, especially the MC9 since that is the leading contender. Thanks in advance!

Part of EDC is a great belt and holster choice (position too). I'm a standard looking 5'9" bald 46 year old with 2 kids. I carry a single stack slim line (SW Shield size)  all the way to a Glock 17 year round. Sweet spot for everything is 4 o'clock OWB or IWB, Lots of people swear by appendix carry but it's not comfortable for me.

Defunct, I carry an 1.0 shield routinely.  Desantis Peagasus IWB holster which is also tuckable. Usually at 4 position. But works for me AIWB as well. I sometimes carry the Canik SC both ways as well; it has an Sig X dot and use a C&G holster. The Canik is a little more bulky. Just remember, higher capacity comes with more weight.

Edited by chances R

I have the SW MP series and not the shield. Have 3 of them. Totally reliable with 100's of rounds through them. No experience with the other 2.  Total S W Fan. Also have a Ruger Max 9 which is a good one also for  pocket carry. Carry the Ruger to church when I wear Kakis. Smaller pockets.

If the CZ-75 is printing, you have a holster, belt clothing issue. Good gear and dress  appropriately will solve your problems. 

I's stick with the CZ over any of the choices mentioned. 😉

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Defunct Ammo said:

As the title states, I'm in the market for an EDC. I have widdled down my list of potential EDC handguns down to the Canik Mete MC9, TP9 Elite SC, and the S&W M&P Shield (Plus). I have held both of the Caniks and really liked the fit of both of them. Although, I have not held the Shield. My budget is around $450 and can only decide on one of them. Otherwise, I'd try all three. I currently carry a CZ-75B Compact and the only problem I find with it is that it imprints on even the largest of my shirts regardless of where I holster it on my pants. I consistently bring one of my other firearms, the Walther P22, with me to the range mostly because I can shoot 3 times as much .22LR at the same cost of 9mm and I find its grip is outstanding for my hand size. I know a lot of people do not recommend .22LR for EDC so that leaves that gun out of the equation. I have heard exceptional things about both the TP9 Elite SC and the Shield, but the MC9 seems to be closer to what I'm looking for as I heard the trigger is very much like a Walther. I'm just curious if anyone has had any reliability issues with carrying or shooting any of the three, especially the MC9 since that is the leading contender. Thanks in advance!

My son carried the Canik MC9 and loves it. The trigger reset is crazy awesome and is hard to beat . It is very simple in it's guts and very reliable.  I carry the Canik TP9DA. The S&W M&P Shield Plus is nice but the new texture on it will tear your mid-section up and also your t-shirts. 

I carry a Shield 1.0 with an Apex trigger and Hogue sleeve.  Just couldn't get used to the hinged trigger. Otherwise it's good. I have a custom leather OWB holster that's super comfortable. 

From what I've heard any of them are excellent. I've personally only shot the Shield Plus and it's also easy to find holsters for.

I do have to point out the TP9 is closer in size to the C75B Compact, and is thicker. Might not be ideal if you are having trouble with the CZ75B Compact already. The other two are closer in size to your Walther.

If you can try them as rentals at a range first, I'd recommend that before making a purchase. Also take a look if your preferred holster brand/style is available for either.

If you aren't carrying at all right now the Walther would be better than nothing even if it's not ideal. Federal Punch if it runs reliably in your gun performs surprisingly well for 22lr.

I know it’s not on your list, but the P365 platform is really sweet. I personally carry a P365XL (first gen) with a Holosun and love the pistol. Before this I carried a shield 9 2.0, or a Springfield XD in 45acp. The P365 is just a really comfortable pistol for me to carry (AIWB) and shoot. 

• Like 3

Not sure if this helps, but after carrying a P365, I went back to my Kahr PM9. The single stack makes it just a bit slimmer than the 365,  Shield Plus or Hellcat. And having 4-5 rounds less is noticeable in weight. And you already have the CZ for cooler weather when wearing more clothes. I say this because I have a 'thing' about printing.

Sorry not familiar with any of your choices. But I can agree with those who have said a good holster and belt are crucial. I've carried a double stack all steel .45 under a shirt one size too large. And 4:00 position is best for me also. SOB hurts and I'm too fat for IWB. My fav summer piece is currently my Kimber Micro9, no spare mag but usually with a pocket rocket backup.

Appreciate all the feedback y'all. I just ordered an IWB holster and decided to keep training and use my Walther until I'm more comfortable with moving onto something more powerful. I know it's not recommended, but it makes the most sense right now. Thank you everyone! I'll keep this thread open just in case.

Posted (edited)

If you are comfortable with your Walther 22, you can try a Walther PPK/S in 380

EDIT- I see you have a Walther P22, I was thinking PPK 22, so,never mind-lol.

Actually a Walther PPS might be another gun to look at. I dont know this for sure, but since Smith and Wesson bought Walther, I heard that gun is very similar to a Shield.

As far as belts and holsters I agree 100% you need something good. For smaller guns like my Kahr or 365 I use a Kore ratcheting belt (not even their gun belt) and a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck IWB. And I always buy the horsehide, not the cowhide. They say its better for sweat, but I have found because its about half the thickness, its more comfortable. My 2nd choice is an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck. A little more bulky, takes a bit more time to put on, but very comfortable because of the padding.

Edited by Tom B

Of the two choices I would lean toward the shield, but agree with the sentiment here that a solid belt and holster will go far for concealment and comfort while carrying.

For belts I just recently switch to a Hunter Constantine belt and it has been super comfortable and the rigid section works well for securing your holster.  Prior to that I have years of wearing a blue alpha EDC belt which was also great but a little more hula hoopish given it is rigid the entire length of the belt.

Not one of your choices, but I would recommend you visit your local gun store and handle a Taurus G2C and see what you think.  An excellent gun and an excellent value.

I have been carrying my Canik MC9 quite a bit recently. The holster options are not as common as other guns right now. 

I used it for about 25% of a training class about a month ago. No problems at all with the pistol. 

Posted (edited)

I have the MC9 and absolutely love it. It’s probably one of the most accurate handguns of its size that I have shot. The trigger is great as well. I have about 600 rounds through it with no issues. I also have the M&P Shield Plus. While it is a great handgun, I just can’t shoot it as well as the MC9. I have about 500 rounds through it with no issues as well. 

I would suggest you try a few out at the rental counter, if you can find them, or see if a buddy has one you can try and see which one you can shoot better. 

If you are ever around Murfreesboro, I’d be happy to meet you at the range sometime and let you try either one. 

Edited by Yengo
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Yengo said:

I have the MC9 and absolutely love it. It’s probably one of the most accurate handguns of its size that I have shot. The trigger is great as well. I have about 600 rounds through it with no issues. I also have the M&P Shield Plus. While it is a great handgun, I just can’t shoot it as well as the MC9. I have about 500 rounds through it with no issues as well. 

I would suggest you try a few out at the rental counter, if you can find them, or see if a buddy has one you can try and see which one you can shoot better. 

If you are ever around Murfreesboro, I’d be happy to meet you at the range sometime and let you try either one. 

I appreciate the offer! I'm not in the 'boro often, but I'll be sure to hit you up if I need to scratch that itch!

• Like 1

Been carrying the shield since they came out, have tried other options like the hellcat, 43 and a couple other micro pistols but always go back to the shield. Its my comfort gun, been carrying it for so long I feel naked without it. But its whatever fits the individual and what you like to shoot. I would agree with the earlier mention of the shield plus grip texture is a little rough. I have the plus but go back to my older shield in the summer when I don't have a tee-shirt between the grip and skin. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 2:30 PM, chances R said:

you can take sandpaper and lightly sand the grip to your comfort.

I've heard other people mention that too, just have a hard time doing that to a new/newer gun. Once I get some wear on it I might try that. 

Edited by Niner29
spelling
4 hours ago, Niner29 said:

I've head other people mention that too, just have a hard time doing that to a new/newer gun. Once I get some wear on it I might try that. 

you've got extra grip panels.....easy to replace, give it a try.