The northern lights

We live rural, but still some light pollution.  Wife and I were able to see them with the naked eye while standing in our backyard.  The colors were very muted to the naked eye (pale pink and grayish color), but using the "smart phone", the colors were a lot more vibrant, brighter, etc. 

I think you are supposed to be able to see them again tonight. We saw them last year on Lake Eerie, but it’s sort of odd to see them in Tennessee.

Great pics, KahrMan!

The solar flare caused a little havoc with my GPS yesterday. I had to make a trip into Kentucky to a rural address where I'd never been before. The GPS would switch between telling me to turn in 2 miles to .2 miles, and it was consistently inconsistent. But it still had the street names right, thank goodness.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I think you are supposed to be able to see them again tonight. We saw them last year on Lake Eerie, but it’s sort of odd to see them in Tennessee.

Great pics, KahrMan!

My daughter took those. I am out of town and missed it. She was rubbing it in because I have always wanted to see them. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, -boatman- said:

I didn't see anything but a neighbor got great pictures. Maybe  I was looking at the wrong time.

The sensors on the phones will produce a much better image than your eyes can see. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, gun sane said:

Given we may have a chance tonight, what is the best viewing time?

Last night we were outside around 11pm, and didn't see much except for some unusual colors of the night time sky.  Wife started using the iphone and we figured out what our naked eyes couldn't see.  

Knoxville TV stations stated the 11PM to 1AM time slot was prime time for the area, but could change daily due to various conditions.  

17 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The wife even saw it once I convinced her which direction North was.😂 We’ve only lived here 21 years now.

SIL asked me what direction she needed to look in to see them, and I just shook my head.  Told her to use the compass on her iphone to figure it out.  She didn't know there was a compass app on the phone either.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, jpx2rk said:

SIL asked me what direction she needed to look in to see them, and I just shook my head.  Told her to use the compass on her iphone to figure it out.  She didn't know there was a compass app on the phone either.  

I am convinced there is only one female brain, and they are all somehow wired in to it. A giant mainframe of confusion if you will.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Posted (edited)

A co-worker used to be a dispatcher for THP and she is the only female I’ve ever met that understands what you mean when you say “it’s northeast of such-and-such” or “go south on highway whatever.”  Her brain needs to be cloned.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 2

Can't see it from my house. Too much background light and too many trees. 🙁

But the portable radio in my house sure knows the Sun is up to sumthin'. Lots of static and signals are breaking up. 🙄

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I am convinced there is only one female brain, and they are all somehow wired in to it. A giant mainframe of confusion if you will.

I married a twin, so need I say anymore???  

We have lived in this house for over 19 yrs, and the wife still doesn't know where North is either.  She just followed me outside and started looking up at the sky based on how I was facing.  LOL

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jpx2rk said:

I married a twin, so need I say anymore???  

We have lived in this house for over 19 yrs, and the wife still doesn't know where North is either.  She just followed me outside and started looking up at the sky based on how I was facing.  LOL

Ask mine where north is and she points up. LOL. That’s where it always is on a map.

She knows important stuff though….like which pair of shoes will look best with an outfit.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, gun sane said:

Given we may have a chance tonight, what is the best viewing time?

Impossible to predict more than about 30 minutes out. In Bellevue (southwestern corner of Nashville) we had a decent show from 9:30 to about 10:00. Then it slowed down. I checked back at 10:30, 11:00, and 11:30 . . . nothing.

I'll be trying again tonight in about 30 minutes from a better vantage point with more open space before hitting walls of trees and houses.