"Good" Entry 1911

Guest cheatham1216

Guest cheatham1216

Before I get torn to pieces about the search button on the forum, I am new to the posting side of the forum. I always just looked around. I have always owned rifles and shotguns, but never a handgun. Have fired several different ones just never owned my own.

I would like to get an entry level 1911 and I know (from experience) you get what you pay for with guns. I just don't want to drop too much $$$ on something that will be for range/land use and home defence.

I have been told that an all steel, .45 ACP, 5" barrel is the way to go since it was the original design. Not sure how true that is.

I have been looking at Rock Island and High Standard. From the sites I looked at, people were praising them, but I would also like to know if anyone has these and had problems.

Again, be easy on me.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cheatham1216

I looked at the Taurus and like them. Not sure which model it is or if all the new pt1911 have it, but I came across a used one a couple of months back and it had the factory rail under the barrel. Would be useful for light in home defence.

What barrel length should I look at getting and should I think about getting it chambered in a different size?

I know I do not like the 3 or 3 1/2 or whatever it is. Father in law has the Kimber ultra Carry and the first time I shot it, it almost flipped out of my hand and busted my knuckle open. Those little buggers have some kick with them.

I think the taurus is hands down the best choice. You should be able to find one new pretty close to $525. For that price (and above) you will only find mil-spec stuff from other makers. Mil-spec is cool and has a nice retro vibe to it, but all those features on a Taurus are actually useful. Besides, Mil-spec notched sights are cool on an original m1991a1, but really they are not fun to shoot with.

Guest 6.8 AR

You won't go wrong with a Rock Island. I bought a Springfield after firing my son's RI.

The Springfield doesn't shoot or look any better, and the RI is less expensive. Never shot a Taurus, but they look good.

Guest Keinengel

The Springer GI isnt a bad choice and neither is the RIA but im going to have to agree over the Taurus. My first was a like new Colt 1991A1 and while it was a nice quality piece the GI sights were a pain. Go for the Taurus.

Taurus. Entry level 1911's normally will be in the 500-600 range and has been said, that's a basic model with no frills. With a little looking and bargaining, the PT1911 can be had for usually 550-650 otd pricing. And with that you'll get better sights and upgraded features at the entry pricing. Don't take me wrong though, there's nothing about a RIA that would stop me from buying if I found a really good price on one.

Guest bbtie72

I like the Para GI Expert.

I have owned RIA, Taurus, Springfield, but the GI Expert is my favorite.

Can get it new around $525 + Tax & Background.

Colt Government for $750-800 plus tax. It's a good quality starter 1911 that you can pimp up to your hearts desire, or just leave as is. You will not be disappointed.

There are a lot of cheaper starter 1911s out there that might be just as good as the Colt but that would be my recommendation. I own a Colt Government in stainless steel. I put a Crimson Trace grip on it. I can pick a bogger out of your nose at 25 yards in the dark with this thing.

No matter what 1911 you get. Welcome to the club. It's the last gun I would sell and the first one I'd grab in a time of need.

Edited by Will Carry
Guest cheatham1216

Any opinions on what barrel length I should get? I like the weight and feel of the 4" barrel, but have never shot the 5".

Ill start with the Taurus PT1911AR,has a lot of the features from the factory that others charge extra for,also has a good trigger right from the factory.

IMG_1110.jpg

The RIA has a few features also that come standard on the tactical models,such as Novak style low profile sights,good trigger pull,commander hammer,slightly beveled mag well and a beavertail grip safety to mention a few.Both the Taurus and RIA are less expensive for the features.

IMG_1091.jpg

Then we could move into the Springfield loaded category that has all the goodies from the factory-hence the loaded term.Runs usually in the $850.00 range.

IMG_1099.jpg

After this price range you could probably find just about anything a person would want from a 1911 inbetween $850.00 and $1200.00

like one of these

IMG_1016.jpg

Or this

IMG_0977.jpg

OF COARSE THIS IS JUST MY OPINION(DONT TRY THIS A HOME):up::D

I recently traded for a RIA. It shoots as well as my Springfield loaded. The Springer has a 4.25" barrel and the RIA is a 5", which accounts for some of the accuracy. For the money, its a great entry level 1911. It won't shoot like a Nighthawk but it is a good bit cheaper!

Guest LarryB

The biggest problem with buying an "entry level" 1911 is that very soon you want more. Don't get me wrong, the entry level guns are great. I own a Springfield "Loaded". The problem comes when you start finding out all the cool things you can do to a 1911 to make it better, then you start looking around and the next thing you know you are wanting a $2600 semi-custom. Right now there are three or four different 1911's in that range that I want!

My advice is to skip the entry level gun and go right to the big dog semi-custom gun.

You need to go to Farnsworth Firearms in Vonore and handle the full size High standard. He does not like the Rock Island at all. I really like the feel of the High Standard. They have the features that are supposed to be extra and he has them for a little less than 500.00 plus tax and background. Good guy to deal with and he will be honest with you. Talked me out of buying a gun in his case because he had sent too many back for repair.

The first 1911 I owned was a Colt. If I were getting my first 1911 today, it would be a Springfield. I wouldn't worry about it having a lot of extras - just a good dependable entry level pistol, with good customer service.

A word of caution - The 1911 is highly addictive! There will always be another one, that you must have.;)

Edited by tnhawk
typing error
My advice is to skip the entry level gun and go right to the big dog semi-custom gun.

But you would miss all the years of oohin' and aahin' at the range and the gun shops when you find something different. My latest find is the cut at the rear of the trigger gaurd above the 30lpi checkering that Wilson and some Dan Wessons do. FEELS great to me. Somehow it's countersunk to raise the checkers. Anyways, I done got excited again....

;) Don't start at the top. It will mess up your appreciation for what JMB started with.