What's your longest handgun shot?

roverboy

I was wondering what was everybodys longest shot with a handgun? I'm not saying just on game but targets too. What did you shoot and caliber? My longest was 350 yards with a Ruger Security Six .357 and 158 gr. cast handloads. I hit a 55 gallon drum. Not on the first shot either. I think it took me about 4 shots until I heard the gong.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My longest was 350 yards with a Ruger Security Six .357 and 158 gr. cast handloads.

:drool:

Please tell me that was with optics...if it was with the iron sights, you get a :lol::bow:

What's the details on your Security Six? Mine is my most accurate handgun I own...it's a '76 SS model w/ 6" barrel. I can't say I've tried to go over 100 yards since that's the longest distance at the ranges I go to. I might have to arrange a trip to a longer range.

Trekbike, it was with the original sights. I had the front blade all the way out of the rear sight. I was really lobbing it out there. Bob Munden on Impossible Shots on the Outdoor Channel used a S&W 29 .44 Mag. to hit a balloon at 600 yards. WOAH. Oh yeah, my Security Six is a blued model with 6" barrel. I used to do a lot of crazy shots like that.

Gallon jug of water(several tries using Kentucky windage) at 200 yards. Fist size rock at 100 yards on a dirt pile in 1 shot....don't ask me to do it again, I can't afford that much ammo. Both of those were with my 5.5" Redhawk in 44 mag with the Keith 250 grain SWC over 20 grains of 2400. I used to do a lot of long range shooting, it is easier when you are younger and steadier. I don't do as well anymore.

200 yds. Several kentucky windage shots to hit a 24" DIA target, Ruger P85MKII 9mm, iron sights, standing. Bullet dropped about 24" at that range. After I got the hold-over figured out, it was surprisingly consistent.

Edited by peejman
Guest cheez

210 steps with a Ruger single six 22 magnum on a wild dog running. Fifth shot hit him in the neck and put him down. Total luck but I had a witness that thinks I could do it again.

Actually, long range shooting with a quality revolver and a little practice is really not that hard. I am rusty but if you can see where the bullets are landing you can kentucky windage them right on target. Elmer Keith is the father of more than the 44. Try it sometimes, you might like it. BTW, those old Keith loads work really well for those long shots too.

Guest mosinon

man, that is tough question....

Well, OhShoot let me shoot his cowboy gun once and it was way longer than my beretta. It might of been a vaquero. It was probably ten inches long and without a doubt the longest handgun I've shot.:)

But I've shot rifles that were way longer than that thing.