I've got this idea that I need a Smith and Wesson model 27 or 29.

Will Carry

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone talk some sense in to me?

Sure… if you want a .357 forget the 27 and go for the 19, 66, or the 686. I tried to like the N Frames I even carried one on duty for a short time. But they are too bulky for duty use and offered me nothing in competition over the K or L frames.

But if you want a .44mag the 29 is the way to go. (My choice would be the 629.)

:lol:

I just like the old school looks of it. It's a man's pistol, not some sissy nickle plated automatic.

Can anyone talk some sense in to me?

Buy one or both. Sold a 629 last year and really regret it. So to ease the painful memories of loss--I've picked up a 637/642 and two 66 guns; a 4in and a 1 7/8in. I don't regret any of them and don't plan on selling.

Boy sounds like my story. Started out leaning towards the 29 due to the Dirty Harry factor. Ended up with a 27 after much homework on this good revo site:

Handguns: The Revolver Forum - TheFiringLine Forums

Here's the thing...you really want an old one. Like in the case of the 29 or 27, get one that is a "dash 2" or earlier. Main reasons: no lawyer lock, pinned bbl, and recessed cylinders. Yes and the model 28 is a worthwhile gun as well (aka: Highway Patrolman).

DMark:_____________

What a great collection. I (...like you...) love the model 27's. I think that they were (...in the old days, at least...) the "pride" of the S & W shops. They were the oldesd "magnum"; and they look the best due to the crosshatched topstrap. I really like the 4 inch; they are getting hard to find.

PS-- I LOVE THE "SLICK" GRIPS TOO! THEY ARE A VALUABLE COMMODITY TODAY.

Again, thanks for posting that great collection!

Regards,

leroy

.... I really like the 4 inch; they are getting hard to find....

leroy,

Thanks for the kind comments. Oddly enough, a pinned & recessed 4 inch Model 27 is the rarest of all. Other than custom orders, S&W only made them as standard production from 1979 to 1982. I lucked out and found mine on GunBroker a couple of years ago.

Before "clean up."

2afct9w.jpg

After.

2exc7d1.jpg

Agree that the "slick" presentation stocks look great on these N Frames. I also find them easier to shoot when using magnum loads.

To the OP - - - Look for Model 27s made before 1982. They are know as P&R guns and will be well made. You should be able to buy one for less than the cost of the new "re-introduced" Model 27s with that horrible lock-hole of the side of the frame.

Good luck!

Edited by DMark