what do you feel

Guest tripp

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Law of Thirds

S&W 686 or GP 100 with a 4" barrel.

Big and heavy enough to handle heavy loads, small enough to be carried, not packed. As close as you can get to a "does everything" .357.

I have a Ruger and a Colt King Cobra, the Colt has the smoothest trigger of any revolver I own. Now its got a six inch barrel so not a real carry pistol, but I do have a shoulder holster that I have carried it a time or two. Thats what I took my HCP class with.

Smith and Wesson makes some great .357 magnums. The 686, 627 and my favorite the model 27 are just a few of the Smith and Wesson offerings. If you have a lot of money the M627 8 round is the ultimate .357. But if you are like me and on a budget....Ruger GP-100. It's the poor man's Smith and Wesson. Every bit as rugged as the Smith and maybe even more so. After S&W and Ruger you are taking a big step down in quality. I couldn't recommend any of them though they may be just fine.

I am not including Colt Pythons. They are not made any more and the prices have gone up a lot. Colt and Smith and Wesson were at one time competing agianst each other for the best .357 revolvers. Colt's had a few more parts than the Smiths and it cost more money to manufacture them so Colt gave up and left Smith and Wesson the king of the wheel guns. The only Colt revolvers made now are the over priced single action cowboy guns. With no transfer bar....

Edited by Will Carry

When you think about it, this is a hard question. Your asking what is the best all around .357, so I take that to mean that it needs to be at home in the field, as well as be somewhat concealable. For the field, I think you need a 4" barrel to legally hunt in Tennessee. So that leaves out the SP101 (Excellent revolver, BTW) since 3" is the longest barrel you can get. That also precludes all the J-Frame S&Ws as well. But just about all the 4" barreled revolvers all weigh over 35 oz, which I think is on the heavy end for concealed carry. Currently, Taurus is the only one that makes a light weight .357 mag revolver and that's the 627. It weights in at 28.8 Oz. with a 4" barrel and (here's the huge plus) it's a 7 shot. The S&W Model 19 and 686 both weight in around 35oz give or take a few oz. and the Ruger GP100 weights in at a meaty 40oz.

Now I know anything about the Taurus 627. I don't know if it's a quality revolver or not, but I'd take a look at this one first. If weight isn't a factory, then I'd probably opt for a S&W 686 or the Ruger GP100 for a new revolver first. If I were looking for a used one, don't discount the Colts! The Trooper, Peacekeeper series were great revolvers and can still be had for a reasonable price. Colt has always produced the smoothest and best triggers out of the box, in my opinion.

The best all around 357, in my opinion, would be a S&W 686 or GP100 4". My GP is a 6 incher and wasn't purchased to be an all around gun. It's for hunting and range use pure and simple. Every gun collection should have a 357 in it.

DSC_6329.jpg

The 66 and 19 are not made anymore. Therefore the Smith & Wesson 686 would own this category. I doubt there are any modern full size .357Mag revolvers that come close to the kind of numbers of these sold. And the quality and customer service is second to none.

i have a sp101 with 2 1/4in barrel i want one for camping ,trail,general plinking just one thats a little more accurate than the sp101 wich i carry everyday no matter what its my go to gun i think im gonna check out the 4 in gp100 i can get a smith model 66 but i read somewhere these will not handle a lot of hot 357 thanks for all the replies