Channel 5 Nashville Story To Air Thursday

What is a "special SWAT team-like unit"? And what is the Arthur saying here "It's a story that pits the concerns of local residents against the constitutionality of firing multiple high powered assault rifles on private property.Arthur saying here". Seems to me that if there is no local ordinance against noise for that particular property's zoning, it's a slam dunk as to who is in the right here.

What's a high powered assault rifle? An assault rifle by its very definition would be an intermediate cartridge at best. Ooooohhhh but it sounds so menacing when you're a bunch of dirty tree huggin hippies.

Im pretty sure anything over a .22 is considered high powered to liberals

• Like 1

What's a high powered assault rifle? An assault rifle by its very definition would be an intermediate cartridge at best. Ooooohhhh but it sounds so menacing when you're a bunch of dirty tree huggin hippies.

I would say my .308 Panther qualifies as a high power, wouldn’t you? And I’m sure that most who saw it would call it an assault rifle. That’s what I would use for a Patrol rifle if I had a choice. biggrin.gif

it says "near homes throughout Rutherford County." so apparently they drive around on your dime & put people in danger with their wicked evil heinous black high powered assault rifles that probably have exploding hollow points

• Like 1

I would say my .308 Panther qualifies as a high power, wouldn’t you? And I’m sure that most who saw it would call it an assault rifle. That’s what I would use for a Patrol rifle if I had a choice. biggrin.gif

There are two definitions of 'assault rifle'.

The first one is the one commonly used by reasonably knowledgable people who actually use firearms.

"An assault rifle is a selective-fire rifle or carbine typically firing ammunition with muzzle energies and sizes intermediate between those of handgun and more traditional high-powered rifle ammunition."

The second definition is the one used by gun-control advocates and media.

"Anything that looks scary to an ignorant hoplophobe."

Your DPMS .308 does not fit the first definition, but most certainly meets the second one.

• Like 1

Drop a modified lightning link in one of those Bad News AR's chambered in 338 Lapua Mag and then I guess you might be able to say high powered assault rifle.

Guest PapaB

If those putz's needed the swat teams help I'll bet they'd be glad for the practice then. Would they prefer a police force that can't shoot worth a darn? I'd welcome them to practice near me any day.

I question what was there first--the firing range or the subdivision? If it was the firing range then the complaints need to go to the developer and real estate agent for not disclosing that fact. If it was the subdivision then the decision maker on the location should be at a minimnum be reprimanded and taken off any future job promotion list. I wouldn't want the noise from a range either but I wouldn't knowing buy the property if I knew it was there. Would be like building next door to a railroad track and then complainting to the railroad about the trains.

• Like 1
Guest ArmyVeteran37214

What is a "special SWAT team-like unit"? And what is the Arthur saying here "It's a story that pits the concerns of local residents against the constitutionality of firing multiple high powered assault rifles on private property.Arthur saying here". Seems to me that if there is no local ordinance against noise for that particular property's zoning, it's a slam dunk as to who is in the right here.

Agreed

In my eyes, Sargent Young has every right to use his property how he see's fit. If he wants to invite his fellow officers out for a day of shooting, then its perfectly fine.

Edited by ArmyVeteran37214

As someone who has had to endure excessive noise from a next door neighbor in a rural area where there is no noise ordinance, I sympathize with these people. But when you have no legal recourse, then you either put up with it or move.

• Like 1

Would be like building next door to a railroad track and then complainting to the railroad about the trains.

That very thing happend here in Mt Juiet, RR started running the Music City line.

Train would blow their horn at RR crossings, People complained and they had to stop

using the horn, tracks were here LONG before the people moved here.

Guest NashvegasMatt

this is my favorite line....

"This is not a range. This is a community, and we don't need high powered rifles being tested or trained in a community," Allan Wainscott said, as he sat beside his wife.

He was in the Air Force and is comfortable around guns.

If I understand the story correctly there is absolutely no noise or danger issue with the RCSD range. The issue seems to be that it is not long enough for rifle training and they are using the private land of a Deputy.

My experience in law enforcement tells me that this is an issue that should be handled by the Rutherford County Sherriff and the Murfreesboro Chief of Police, since these are the two agency’s participating. I didn’t see any statements from either of them.

If what the woman was showing us about where they were shooting within yards of a residential area by a child swing set were accurate; that defies common sense. The Sherriff or the Chief shouldn’t need a news crew to get involved in stopping that; especially when the complaint is against them. Sometimes you shouldn’t need a court to tell you what to do.

The spokesperson for the Sheriff’s office is correct; the deputy has a right to use his property as he sees fit. However, they are complaining about Sherriff deputies and Murfreesboro Police Officers. That means it not a private property issue anymore it’s a complaint against Police Officers and it’s up to the Sheriff or Chief to deal with it.

I would be livid if I received a letter from an attorney telling me that complaining about the actions of a Sheriff’s department or city Police department was harassment and that I was interfering with the businesses practices of a deputy. I would be curious to know what the Sherriff or Chief had to say about that legal threat.

I don’t know anything about the Sherriff of my county other than what I read in the papers, I don’t know anything about the Chief. But now that this news story is out I want to hear their responses. Neither the Rutherford County Sheriff’s Department nor the Murfreesboro PD is big enough for either of them not to personally address this news story.

Of course the news story is biased. That’s why they took a cheap shot at Barrett when no 50 cals were even involved in this. But it sounds to me like this story only came about because the citizens’ complaints and noise complaints when unaddressed by both law enforcement agencies in the area, and then they were threatened with legal action.

I can see both sides of the story, but it will tend to side with the farm owner and officer. All too often, someone decides to develop land in the county. People move in thinking they are getting there little dream country get away to retire on. Then, when a farmer or the owner of the adjacent undevelop land does something they don't like, they bitch and complain and have them shut down. I do not know the location of this "community" nor do I know the specific laws or ordinances for that area. However, from the sound of the story, they are in the county, and their actions are not in violation of any specific ordinance. If that is indeed true, my reaction would be to tell them to go kick rocks.

If I understand the story correctly there is absolutely no noise or danger issue with the RCSD range. The issue seems to be that it is not long enough for rifle training and they are using the private land of a Deputy.....If what the woman was showing us about where they were shooting within yards of a residential area by a child swing set were accurate; that defies common sense. The Sherriff or the Chief shouldn’t need a news crew to get involved in stopping that; especially when the complaint is against them.....

Does this private land have adequate berms around the area being used as a range to prevent a stray round from entering a residential area?

this is my favorite line....

"This is not a range. This is a community, and we don't need high powered rifles being tested or trained in a community," Allan Wainscott said, as he sat beside his wife.

He was in the Air Force and is comfortable around guns.

I touched a gun once when I was AF.

Does this private land have adequate berms around the area being used as a range to prevent a stray round from entering a residential area?

I don’t know any more than what is in the news video, but appears there is nothing but a wire fence and a few yards between where the people are standing and the land where she took a picture of a Murfreesboro Police car on the other side of the fence. She says 3 cops got out and opened fire with rifles. They don’t show what they were shooting at.

It’s an obviously one sided news report, that’s why I’m curious what the Sherriff and the Chief have to say about it. They must think it’s okay if they haven’t acted. They must also think the legal threats against someone making a citizens complaint against a Police Department is okay also.