Your favorite 1911

charlessummers

Well, it's now a toss up between the RIA and the SR1911. I'm going to go look at both of them this weekend, if I can find one of the Rugers that is. I'm going to go checkout Bellshire Hardware on y'alls recommendation, and will probably go to the Nashville Armory if the place isn't too crowded. I'm a stones throw from Bass Pro Shops, but I don't think they have either gun.

I view 1911's the same way I view Glass on a Precision rifle, you need to save up and get the best one you can afford dont simply run into the store and buy the first one that you can afford with the change in your pocket. Personally there are only 3 real options in this category Wilson Combat,Ed Brown,Nighthawk and thats about it imo.

• Administrator

Nahhh... there are some really good affordable options from Springfield, Dan Wesson and even SIG. Part of what makes SIG 1911's so damn good for the money is the fact that they abandoned the finicky internal extractor for an external design that they've figured out a long time ago. They generally just... work.

If its horse manure then why does every manufacturer trying to get business private or military contract demonstrate that their gun will cycle after being submerged in mud, sand, water ect???

The M&P commercial on tv shows them doing that. H&K constantly does that with their prototype battle rifles.

When I chose to side with the AR crowd, I heard the same argument fro the AK crowd. AND they were right. In a dirt and debris test, AK beats all comers.

I think 1911 owners are funny. You don't see Glock or M&P owners getting hurt when others hate them. They just smile and nod. Say one word about the precious and people come crawling out of the wood work to lay i on you. Too funny.

Edited by Caster
  • Like 1

Answering the original question, my favorite 1911 is the only one I've owned, a Kimber Super Carry Pro (commander size, alloy frame). One downside with the Kimbers that use the bull barrels and non-traditional recoil spring setup is that you need to replace the recoil spring every 800 to 1k rounds or you'll get FTFs in the form of stovepipes - I had this issue, but a Wolff replacement spring cured it immediately. I'm not a good enough shooter to tell you how "gnat's balls" accurate it is or isn't - I picked it up because I got it for a good price, so I can get my money out of it someday if some better trade comes along. Even being a series 80 style pistol, the trigger is very nice.

Well, it's now a toss up between the RIA and the SR1911. I'm going to go look at both of them this weekend, if I can find one of the Rugers that is. I'm going to go checkout Bellshire Hardware on y'alls recommendation, and will probably go to the Nashville Armory if the place isn't too crowded. I'm a stones throw from Bass Pro Shops, but I don't think they have either gun.

I was at Bass Pro 2 days ago, no SR1911s. Last weekend Outpost Armory had one in the case (they keep extras in the back), but they sell so well that they won't budge off of MSRP. Also, their selection of RIA is slim to none.

I will say this, if I were in the market for a 45acp I would give a bit of thought to the Para Ordnance LDA

Question, I see them with a bobbed hammer. I like that but how do you decock that? In the pictures I've seen I don't see a decocker.

It's double action only. After every shot the hammer is down and the trigger pull is again DA.

It's double action only. After every shot the hammer is down and the trigger pull is again DA.

Really, that's awesome. Thanks Tim.

See, shows what I know, there may actually be a 1911 I could get along with after all. Not having a stupid hammer to contend with, I might like that one. Doubt it, but it's possible.

Nahhh... there are some really good affordable options from Springfield, Dan Wesson and even SIG. Part of what makes SIG 1911's so damn good for the money is the fact that they abandoned the finicky internal extractor for an external design that they've figured out a long time ago. They generally just... work.

I've only seen one Sig 1911, and it was a great looking piece. The external extractor is good engineering for companies like Sig and S&W. They're self-tuning.

I will say this, if I were in the market for a 45acp I would give a bit of thought to the Para Ordnance LDA

Question, I see them with a bobbed hammer. I like that but how do you decock that? In the pictures I've seen I don't see a decocker.

If you read my 2 cents a lot you KNOW I absolutely HATE DAO guns. But the para LDA is actually tolerable. I swear its maybe 3 pound pull, instead of 10 or whatever the typical DAO stuff is. Its a great gun.

If you run across one, S&W made a DA/SA gun on a 1911 frame or something very close to it. I have one and its a very nice pistol, very accurate and comfy.

I think you can go out and spend $1000 plus on a Superdooper Pooper shooter, but why would you, when there are plenty of much cheaper options out there that do what you need doing. The RIAs, Rugers, Springfield, S&Ws and SIGs will do exactly what you need them too, when you want them too, as good as a Ed Brown, a Wilson or a Nighthawk for a lot less. The average shooter will not be able to tell the difference. I doubt a high dollar gun will make me a better shooter than I already am. If I can keep 8 rounds on a paper plate at 25 yards, I am happy. Because that translates (for me at least) to a couple of inches at 20 feet or less, which is what I figure I would be shooting in a defensive situation. I don't plan on becoming a member to the HRT team or anything. Any way, that's just my 2 cents.

Whatever you buy, I suggest shooting several hundred rounds through it, if you are going to be using it for defense. You want to be sure it's reliable in a crunch situation.

Edited by Moped

I have owned and sold several high end 1911's but the one I keep and will never part with is my Commander Nighthawk Custom that was built for me to my exact specs by Ron Phillips back when Nighthawk were at their very best. This was built to be my dream carry gun and in a Milt Sparks Versa Max2 it still fits that role. I absolutely love this pistol and carry her very often

IMG_3498.jpg

I have owned and sold several high end 1911's but the one I keep and will never part with is my Commander Nighthawk Custom that was built for me to my exact specs by Ron Phillips back when Nighthawk were at their very best. This was built to be my dream carry gun and in a Milt Sparks Versa Max2 it still fits that role. I absolutely love this pistol and carry her very often

IMG_3498.jpg

I can see it now, sliding across the Walmart parking lot after a crash into some fat lady in one of those motorized carts :). I just don't trust myself carrying something that cool :)

I just picked up a RIA Tactical from Bellshire on Monday for $440 plus tax and BG. I tried some of the sponsors first, but no one had any RIA in stock. I'm only at 100 rds at this point,but it has run flawlessly even with a cheapo Promag mag from Academy. I was in the market for an entry level 1911 and after a good bit of research the RIA seemed the best for the money. I went with the Tactical for the beavertail and adjustable sights, probably going to remove the ambi safety as it cuts into my trigger finger when disengaged. I just can't see the GI sights at all and the cost to install an extended grip safety would have been more than the extra cost of the Tactical over the GI. I will say the finish seems pretty weak. After only a hundred rounds it is showing some wear on the slide near the muzzle and some handling marks. I don't really care, just wanted to mention it. They had a Duracoated Tactical for $10 more, but I swear I thought I saw, through the case, a ding on the slide so I passed on it.

I have a Kimber Custom Covert II that I carry from time to time. Very accurate, though I'm no competitive shoother. I haven't shot it a whole lot. Maybe 150 rounds so it's still getting broken in. I bought it because the slide and trigger were smooth as silk and as someone mentioned before, the craftsmanship and finish on it was phenominal for the price. My wife refers to it as my "other woman". One of my very favorite guns. Every man needs at least one 1911.

.....The RIAs, Rugers, Springfield, S&Ws and SIGs will do exactly what you need them too, when you want them too, as good as a Ed Brown, a Wilson or a Nighthawk for a lot less. The average shooter will not be able to tell the difference....

My pistols from SA, Colt and Kimber are reliable and accurate guns. However they can not compare to my SA PRO or Wilson Combat. A Ford and Mercedes Benz will both get from one location to another, but they aren't equal.

• Like 1

I always knew I'd get a 1911. They are just eye candy alone. A few months ago I just knew it was the time to get one. I am a big fan of Smith & Wesson, and I like Springfield Armory, too. I started my search there. I looked at all of their models online. I wanted a stainless finish, night sights, and a tactical rail. I obviously looked at the SW1911TA. I didn't care for the fish scale slide grip. It looked neat, but I preferred my 1911 look more traditional. Though I like rosewood grips, I didn't want them on a stainless finish. I never even looked at Kimbers because they are said to be so expensive. After handling a SW1911TA and comparable SA 1911 at Guns & Ammo, I went home to research more, since neither had won me over. For that kind of money, it better be love at first site.

Out of desperation, I went to Kimber's website and looked around. It took a while given their selection! When I saw the Stainless TLE RL II, I though t, "That's the one!". I then tensed up as I scrolled down the page looking for the MSRP. When I saw the MSRP was less than the SW1911TA's MSRP, I flew back to Guns and Ammo hoping they had one, and of course they did!

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/custom-ii/stainless-tle-rl-ii

I am still a total newb in the world of 1911's, but I found the one that I wanted in terms of appearance, and I knew Kimber's are well regarded.

The only other 1911 I had shot before was my dad's 1967 50th anniversary WWI commemorative edition Colt. I always thought it shot great. After shooting them side by side, we both agreed my Kimber trigger feels better. Maybe that isn't saying much, but at least it didn't feel worse!

Though I've shot several friends' pistols in addition to my SW99QA and 990L, this is the most trigger time I've had with a single action pistol. It puts a huge smile on my face every time I shoot it. Heck, or just look at it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My pistols from SA, Colt and Kimber are reliable and accurate guns. However they can not compare to my SA PRO or Wilson Combat. A Ford and Mercedes Benz will both get from one location to another, but they aren't equal.

I'll take the Ford. It's a heck of lot cheaper to maintain, repair and more reliable. Plus it still gets me where I need to go. Listen, I have no doubt they are all great pistols, I just don't see myself spending that much on one, knowing that its not going to make my shooting that much better. All I care about is defensive accuracy and reliability in a pistol. If I need gnat's rectum accuracy, well that's what a rifle is for.

Edited by Moped