Dangerous range activity?

I took a trip to the range today. Did a little bullseye practice at 25 yards with a Ruger MKIII. When this family came over and set up at a few benchs down. A father, mom and a couple kids. After the kids did some shooting with rimfires. The father takes out a S&W automatic and has his daughter aim it downrange. He then explains how to line up the sights , then stands in front of her and has her aim directly at his face. while he looks to see how she is using the sights. Im staring in disbelief. Then father takes the pistol and aims in his daughters face, while explaining how to use sights. Now this is well beyond what is exceptable at this range , but is this ever done to teach new shooters? It seems like common sense screams NO. I maybe wrong but it is defanitly not allowed here at this range. Most of the time there is no range staff present, and no one was there today. So i guess my question is, is this ever done by firearms trainers ? I got the heck away from these people.

Incredibly stupid. In a case like this I would be torn between speaking up and attempting to correct the behavior or heading as far away from the maniac as possible.

The worst part is that guy is the role model to those kids, I'm sure everyone here has had one of those moments where someone tries to correct something their dad taught them. It's typically a losing argument, if it was good enough for dad it's good enough for me kind of thing. Now there's two more young people in this world who may grow up to think its fine to stick a gun someone's face, as long as its "not loaded". What a piece of work.

I can understand breaking rules under controlled environments for training in a private setting if there is something to be gained from it. But that would be with adults who understood it was not normal. For example it is OK IMHO to point a gun that has been checked and rechecked by all parties involved at a person with a camera to get a movie/still for some purpose.

Doing this in public, with a child who does not know the rules well enough, on a live range, and for no good reason (there is nothing to see up there.... you can see if she is holding it right from the side) is just stupidity cubed. And you can bet if you said something, the guy would be like "what you talking about, go away" or worse.

I see that your location is Montana; otherwise I would have bet money you were describing an event at the Cheatham WMA range in Middle TN. I saw a fella bring household appliances; including a vacuum cleaner for targets. Another time a guy told his little boy to collect brass on the range; while people were shooting.

• Administrator

I took a trip to the range today. Did a little bullseye practice at 25 yards with a Ruger MKIII. When this family came over and set up at a few benchs down. A father, mom and a couple kids. After the kids did some shooting with rimfires. The father takes out a S&W automatic and has his daughter aim it downrange. He then explains how to line up the sights , then stands in front of her and has her aim directly at his face. while he looks to see how she is using the sights. Im staring in disbelief. Then father takes the pistol and aims in his daughters face, while explaining how to use sights. Now this is well beyond what is exceptable at this range , but is this ever done to teach new shooters? It seems like common sense screams NO. I maybe wrong but it is defanitly not allowed here at this range. Most of the time there is no range staff present, and no one was there today. So i guess my question is, is this ever done by firearms trainers ? I got the heck away from these people.

Reminds me of this...

:)

Jason Lee, and it was a blank loaded gun with a squib in the barrel from a previous scene.

Could have sworn it was Brandon Lee? I though Jason played Bruce in a movie... Or not?

Looks like Bryan beat me to it...

Edited by TrickyNicky

"For example it is OK IMHO to point a gun that has been checked and rechecked by all parties involved at a person with a camera to get a movie/still for some purpose"

Dont tell that to Bruce Lee

Apart from living in a padded room, there is no way to prevent 100% of freak accidents. I am going to go way, way out on a limb here and call a squib + a blank a freak accident on par with the occasional accidental hangings on movie sets from all the ropes etc.