Ruger LCR or Smith snubby, preferences?

seez52

I have held many Smiths ... but ended up with an LCR in the flavor of .38. I can't and will not shoot 357 ... I'm just not accurate with it. The .38 version is shorter and lighter, and when most people shoot +P .38 out of their 357's, I preferred just going straight with a .38 :)

With that said -- I liked the trigger on the LCR more. Can't go wrong with either and both should serve you well. It also happened to finish my collection since I also own an LCP :)

I don't have any experience with the new line of Rugers. But I have owned a Security Six and a GP 100 in the past. Both were great guns.

I have, in my pocket as I type this, a J Frame S&W in .38 spl. Model 640. I've carried it daily since I purchased it in 1992. It's very rarely a primary carry tool, but a second gun.
It has been reliable and has held up extremely well to many, many
of my reloads.
I, subjectively I admit, find the S&W revolvers to have the smoothest double action triggers of any revolvers I have ever owned or shot.

But I doubt you'll go wrong with either choice.

:2cents:
I

I really like most of the Ruger product line but given the choice of a S&W Airweight 38 Special or Ruger LCR I'd go with the S&W. I've revised my opinion of the LCR due to some of the wear issues it's owners have encountered with respect to it's finish. Out of the box the LCR has a much nicer trigger.
I've shot exactly one of each and found the LCR much better. The LCR was much more comfortable to shoot and consequently I was much more accurate with it. The air-weight rubbed a blister in the web between my thumb and index finger after about 15 rds.

I may have gotten a poor version of an air-weight, the trigger was beyond terrible. The long pull was expected, the 12-15lb pull weight wasn't. The LCR trigger was much lighter, smoother, and more intuitive.
I have a LCR 357 and a SW 640 357. I usually have 38 spec. load in both. My wife like and shoots the SW 640 better, for it has laser grips and has less recoil.
I favor the LCR, for trigger is a little better and gun is lighter for carry. I went with 357 models for I could use both 357 and 38 spec. [b]Good luck with your choice, for I like both.[/b]
[quote name='seez52' timestamp='1354025764' post='851264']
thanks for the feedback, this is actually going to be for a lady. Seemed to me the grip on the Smith might have been a bit smaller. Opinions on having a night sight installed? I think maybe the LCR is the only one with that option.
[/quote]

The LCR is available with night sights and crimson trace laser grips. It depends on which model Smith your interested in as far as night sights and the laser grips. My wife preferred the LCR over the Smith 442 and 642 so, that's what I got for her. I recommend taking her with you and have her hold several brands/models to see which she likes best. Wouldn't hurt to rent a couple at the range either.
[quote name='seez52' timestamp='1354025764' post='851264']
thanks for the feedback, this is actually going to be for a lady. Seemed to me the grip on the Smith might have been a bit smaller. Opinions on having a night sight installed? I think maybe the LCR is the only one with that option.
[/quote]

If it's for a lady, let her pick.
  • Like 2
I've shot/owned both the LCR and S&W 442/642 in multiple copies. The LCR is initially the easier one to shoot as the recoil seems to be managed a bit better with the poly frame and big grip. In an oustide the waisteband holster the LCR is really nice. The S&W carries a little easier in other styles of carry. I also think you can shoot the S&W quicker as its cycle seems shorter. I was in a snubbie oriented handgun carry class some months ago and started the class with an LCR, but about 1/3 of the way through I switched to a S&W and stayed with the S&W the remainder of the class. I traded the LCR shortly after that experience.
Guest Triggerhappyzach
Bought my mom an LCR, she went to several gunshows with me and pulled the trigger on every snub .38 on every table. Shes puny and struggles with triggers, but she loves her LCRs trigger and doesnt mind the recoil. I made sure to get standard loads for her and not +Ps.
I agree that out of the box the LCR has a better trigger. The wife and I have 642's with Apex Tactical J Frame carry trigger kits and Crimson Trace LG-405 grips. Both make it a handy carry piece IMO. The Apex kit brings the pull down from about 12 lbs down to 9 lbs.
Agree with what the others have said, you can't go wrong with either one. I have a 642 with the Apex kit Trek mentioned in his post. It really does make a huge difference. I would also add there is a massive aftermarket available for items like holsters and stocks for the j frame.
Lots of good comments here, thanks everyone. Yes, having her try them out would be the best solution.

Regarding the trigger. I don't see that as a big deal. I've been into J frame Smiths many times, and shouldn't have a problem getting a pretty decent trigger on one. It just seemed to me there was a noticeable difference between grip sizes in the two, and that the LCR seemed to sit higher in your hand and might allow more felt recoil and muzzle flip. I do like the fact that the polymer exterior probably holds up better in the long run appearance-wise than the aluminum.
I own a S&W 642 and a LCR. The LCR definitely has a better trigger but the nastalga of the Smith makes it more appealing. The grips and holsters for the S&W's are a lot more available than the LCR's. The finish on my 642 is vastly worn from holsters and pockets so don't expect it to remain pretty. I have a few other S&W revolvers but I don't carry them, a little to heavy or too big. My LCR was supposed to have been for my wife but even trying all three different grips she has decided to stick with a LCP.