Connecticut school shooting

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

Take a look at the petitions that have been started on gun control.  One of them already has well over 50,000 signatures.  All of them were created TODAY.  

I would be lying if I said that I was not worried right now.  I am still sick to my stomach about all these children being shot to death, but the storm that is coming is going to be a big one.  

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

Take a look at the petitions that have been started on gun control. One of them already has well over 50,000 signatures. All of them were created TODAY.

I would be lying if I said that I was not worried right now. I am still sick to my stomach about all these children being shot to death, but the storm that is coming is going to be a big one.

Let's hope they take the petitions in order and give a reply first to the Texas secession one

I wouldn't stress too much about those petitions, they just had a petition for the white house to build a death star by 2016 and have well over 25,000 signatures. There's all kinds of crazy stuff on there since people found out about it

Sad for sure, and a result of none other than sin.  News reports keep talking worst "shootings", but don't bring up that the Bath, Michigan incident is the worst school massacre in US history - which was done with explosives.  According to "Freakonomics", it's the outrage factor that drives people to blame guns.  More children die in pools every year but no body is interested in outlawing them.

Guest Longshot1
You see, we get it. There are just not enough of us left to make the difference. It was on the watch of my generation. I can't even recognize what has become of the greatest nation in history. Teachers carrying guns? Trained in the use of a handgun? Absurd? We can't predict when the evil of man will present itself next. But we can be ready. Shame on those who are not.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that the purchases for the firearms were arguably straw purchases by the mother for the son/s. A Glock, Sig, and AR-15 by a CT female teacher? It may come out that she was an avid sportswoman, but in my line of thinking I would say that the typical mother that simply wishes to protect her family would purchase one firearm for the home and consider it enough.

I say that she purchased the weapons for her son/s because they were interested in guns but were not old enough to purchase them for themselves at the time of purchase.

Good call. One handgun, yeah, I could see a single woman having a firearm for home defense, but three? And one of them a bushmaster (by some reports). That's really not a firearm you see many women buying. I know that there are probably a few women into AR-15 type guns, but not many. It's really more appealing to young men.

I wouldn't assume she wasn't a gun enthusiast or whatever.

Prime example is my wife.

She has multiple guns including a AR15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way to stop an active shooter is with an active shooter.

What a monster this person had to be to kill children in a kindergarten class.

The issue here is not necessarily guns, but the people with mental problems that get their hands on them. This guy committed no crimes that day prior to going to the school, the only way he stole his mother’s guns would be if she reported them stolen and pressed charges. Unlikely that would have happened. And even if it did, who cares, it pales in comparison to the murders he committed. This is early on in the investigation and we don’t know what happened. The mother was murdered by this animal and we can’t get any info from her.

The mentally ill are protected. They are one of the groups that need to not have access to firearms. However, unless a mentally ill person was involved in some kind of court action or commitment; there would be nothing there to flag a firearm sale.

Obama keeps talking about “Background Checks”. Background checks for criminals is already done, I think he is talking about a way of getting the mentally ill (and criminals without convictions) into the system.  I don’t see how that can be done without violating medical confidentiality and the Constitution.

Sorry, but if someone has a mental condition that would make violence likely, or would cause them to commit mass murder on children; they need to be on a list somewhere and under observation. This is more than a child acting out because they weren’t brought up right. This is an adult with an obviously serious mental disorder. Was this unnoticed all his life?

We are in an era where children are being taught that anything they do is OK and they must not feel bad or guilty about themselves for ANYTHING. Parents side with their children even when they are caught in the act of doing something wrong. Does that mean that the parents don't know right from wrong either? I don't know.

But if parents won't acknowledge wrongdoing on the part of their children, what makes us think that they would voluntarily seek out any help if their child was having psychological issues? For some, there's a stigma about mental problems that many parents aren't willing to deal with. I don't know if that was the case with this man or not.

I believe that the root of the problem is that we have failed to teach our children that human life is sacred and we are now reaping what we have sown.

I'm sorry but I disagree...  The root of the problem is we as a society create gun free zones...  and smart people who should know better continue to place themselves and their loved ones in these gun free zones...  Which seem to be the only place where evil nutters like this one show up and start shooting people.

Israel had a terrible attack on their schools in 1974 called the Ma'alot massacre, after that they made it policy to arm all of their teachers at all times...  There is a picture of a school teacher with an M1 carbine on page 3 of this thread.  That was a very successful choice, because no schools were successfully attacked in Israel until March of 2008...  when a school was attacked and 8 people lost their lives.

In that attack, the terrorist had a fully automatic AKM with between 500 and 600 rounds of ammo.  He was stopped in minutes by a part time student (who was allowed to be armed) and a Captain in the IDF.  If it had not been for a part time student the death toll would have been much greater, Yitzhak Dadon was a hero that day.

The problem is not allowing otherwise law abiding citizens from being armed, and in the case of teachers giving them the responsibility and capability to protect those in their charge.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but I disagree...  The root of the problem is we as a society create gun free zones...  and smart people who should know better continue to place themselves and their loved ones in these gun free zones...  Which seem to be the only place where evil nutters like this one show up and start shooting people.

Israel had a terrible attack on their schools in 1974 called the Ma'alot massacre, after that they made it policy to arm all of their teachers at all times...  There is a picture of a school teacher with an M1 carbine on page 3 of this thread.  That was a very successful choice, because no schools were successfully attacked in Israel until March of 2008...  when a school was attacked and 8 people lost their lives.

In that attack, the terrorist had a fully automatic AKM with between 500 and 600 rounds of ammo.  He was stopped in minutes by a part time student (who was allowed to be armed) and a Captain in the IDF.  If it had not been for a part time student the death toll would have been much greater, Yitzhak Dadon was a hero that day.

The problem is not allowing otherwise law abiding citizens from being armed, and in the case of teachers giving them the responsibility and capability to protect those in their charge.

It has nothing to do with a gun free zone! I'm sure our shooter wasn't thinking that.

Dave S

It has nothing to do with a gun free zone! I'm sure our shooter wasn't thinking that.

Dave S

It seems to me that these deranged mass murderers usually search for a "soft target". You don't hear of this happening at an NWTF banquet, gun show, police department, etc. The last so many have happened at places labeled "Gun Free Zones". Stick a gunbuster sign in your front yard and see how it works out for ya.

This, however, isn't the root of the problem. I see the direct correlation between this country turning it's back on God, and the degredation of our society.

• Like 8

This, however, isn't the root of the problem. I see the direct correlation between this country turning it's back on God, and the degredation of our society.

I'm not a very religious person but I completely agree with this. We were a better society when everyone went to church and had strong Christian values.

Times are a changing.

• Like 1

It seems to me that these deranged mass murderers usually search for a "soft target". You don't hear of this happening at an NWTF banquet, gun show, police department, etc. The last so many have happened at places labeled "Gun Free Zones". Stick a gunbuster sign in your front yard and see how it works out for ya.

This is exactly right. Theres a reason you'll not see a murder spree at Knob Creek.
[quote name='Erik88' timestamp='1355589321' post='860721']     This, however, isn't the root of the problem. I see the direct correlation between this country turning it's back on God, and the degredation of our society.   I'm not a very religious person but I completely agree with this. We were a better society when everyone went to church and had strong Christian values.   Times are a changing.[/quote] And I pray America will return to those times. posted from my phone

We'll probably find out this piece of crap was an avid video gamer, playing Call of Duty, Black Ops or some thing.....

He probably shot his mommy because she grounded him from video games!

Dave S

They already said that exact statement this morning on TV, didn't specify what games, but did say he was an avid gamer

I don't think the shooter sought out those kids because they were soft targets. There is a connection between him and those he killed. He did not choose them because of their vulnerability or the ease in which they could be killed. He chose them because of a connection to his teacher of mother, nothing more. Had the school had a brigade of armed combat troops at the door he probably would have still chosen them although the outcome would have been different.

He was a man with a obvious mental defect.

Look at every single "mass" murder situation we have had in the last few decades. All that come to my mind have involved someone with a mental disorder of some sort. After the fact in every single instance I can recall people who knew the shooter said they were off in some way. And that is where the focus needs to be. On the treatment of and monitoring of those who have the potential, because of mental defect, to do something like this. We have become a society that has become to PC to call things how they are. Had someone, anyone stepped up 6 months ago and said this individual has mental issues then maybe precautions could have been taken.

Also, I do not believe forcing guns into the hands of those who may not want to is the answer either. Teachers should be given the option if they so choose but should be able to choose and not be forced.

This is going to be a difficult and dark time in our history.

Dolomite