Favorite 9mm/45

TooTallEMT

I am looking to get a 9mm and a 45. These will be my first modern hand guns and I have received several recommendations as far as which is best. I have narrowed my search down to what I like the best so far and wanted feedback from more owners.
HK p30 9mm
Kimber pro carry II .45
S&W M&P .45
And S&W M&P 9mm
Any feed back would be appreciated.

"best" is too subjective. . .personal preference.

Have you been able to handle and/or shoot any of these choices?  That is a huge factor (for you) is making your final decision.  Also, your intended use for the gun (carry, range, competition) also drives choices.

Best of luck!  From the short list above I think you could get both M&Ps for the price of the Kimber/HK

• Like 1

I picked up a CZ P-07, absolutely love it. Comfortable as hell, GREAT trigger and reasonably priced (especially if you're looking at H&K's). I have a USP .45 Full Size, I love it.. but it's most definitely a combat gun. Best part about the P-07, I can stil conceal it and i'm not a real big guy.

I don't get why CZ's aren't more popular around here. I was a nay sayer for awhile myself but after firing a few, i'm a diehard now.

*edit* - fair warning, the full name is the CZ p-07 Duty... so be ready for all of your buddies to make "duty" jokes. "So, you gonna go home and polish up your duty again tonight?" yuck yuck....

Edited by NoBanStan
I have for years been trying to find a .45 that I could enjoy. The M&P 45 particularly a compact really catches my eye. M&P's can have triggers inconsistent from one to another though. All the H&K's in .45 are just too big and expensive. I have shot a Sig 220 and I can tell you it's still a little large but just a pleasure to shoot.
A Bersa .45 is actually a interesting gun if you ever get a chance to feel one.
What works for one doesn't work for another. You need to handle as many guns as you can before making a purchase.
I have for years been trying to find a .45 that I could enjoy. The M&P 45 particularly a compact really catches my eye. M&P's can have triggers inconsistent from one to another though. All the H&K's in .45 are just too big and expensive. I have shot a Sig 220 and I can tell you it's still a little large but just a pleasure to shoot.
A Bersa .45 is actually a interesting gun if you ever get a chance to feel one.
What works for one doesn't work for another. You need to handle as many guns as you can before making a purchase.

Every collection should include a polymer 9MM (M&P, Glock, or XD) and a 1911 in 45...  and a .22... and a 12gauge... probably an AR, O/U, Remington 700, Marlin Lever action, Thompson Black Powder, Smith revolver, pocket bug,   wait, what? Oh, sorry... kinda wandering there a bit.

Mac

[quote name="LINKS2K" post="881617" timestamp="1357923571"] I'll second the M&P since you don't have any Glocks listed. They are great shooters.[/quote] Third on the M&P. 5 years, many rounds down range and no issues with my 40.
  • Like 1
In the 9mm flavor I have a Shield(40) and it is the smoothest handling pocket pistol I have ever handled. The recoil is so mild even with the .40 I am anxious to see if a 9 handles better. I have not shot a compact or fullsize M&P but S&W did a outstanding job on the Shield.
Guest drv2fst

I have tried most of what's on the market today and my favorite 9mm is HK P30.  My favorite .45 is HK45.  For carry size HK45C.  I also really like 1911's.  Kimbers have usually been pretty good to me.  I have had a few issues with them on occasion.

Choosing from your list, I'd pick the S&W M&P...........then carry it to Guns and Leather and trade it in on a Glock 19.

Spoken like the Glock fanatic we all know you are!! :stunned:  :stunned:

But seriously, Caster is not totally right nor wrong, IMO. I've got both a G19 and M&P9c. For me it's a tossup. I'd be real hard pressed if I had to choose only one.