Opinions please!

Guest Shadow Shooter

Guest Shadow Shooter
My dad is looking at buying a 45. He likes a colt, beretta, or S&W. personally I like the S&W. Just wondering what everyone else thought.

I’ve owned most brands of 1911’s. I have the S&W SW1911 Target. It’s a great gun. Unfortunately I had a failure of an MIM safety. S&W responded quickly and fixed it, I was disappointed that they couldn’t replace it with stainless, but I guess most use MIM parts now. Other than that it is a tack driver and has never had a fail to fire.

I recently pick up a Ruger SR1911. I’ve only put a few rounds through it, but fit and function is nice. I haven’t had a chance to do a side by side comparison of it and the S&W.

Also don’t forget Kimber. I think they are priced higher than they should be, but they certainly are quality 1911’s.

My SW1911.........

SW1911004web.jpg

Edited by DaveTN

My dad is looking at buying a 45. He likes a colt, beretta, or S&W. personally I like the S&W. Just wondering what everyone else thought.

1911 or just any old 45?   

1911s are pricy, and you can expect to pay 750-1200 for one, the S&W may be less than this as it is a reasonably priced item, but its new and hard to find sometimes.

Beretta does not make a 1911 to my knowledge.

If you do not want a 1911, what *do* you want?  Picking "big brands" that you know is "ok" but there are a many more out there and you already limited your choices.  I think, actually, you limited it to the S&W M&P 45 with that short list. 

Guest Krieder

First step is buy what he likes If he likes it he will practice and use it, anything else he buys frugally will probably be used  but he will probably still yearn for what he wanted first.

None he likes are out of the question. Beretta makes the px4 in .45. If its a 1911 then there are literally a flood of companies on the market now with them. Ruger just brought out its sr45 and its $489 i saw yesterday and we all know their rep for reliability. So in then end i see no negatives except price for your Dad, if he can afford it then we are done here. :)

If he wants a 1911 in .45:

1)  Armscor, Rock Island, Metro Arms, American Classic.  These are all sound Phillipine made 1911s in the 500.00 range

2)  Ruger or Remington

3) Sig, S&W, Kimber (although it seems Kimbers are either hated or loved)

If he wants a striker fired .45 I think a S&W M&P would be the answer.

If he wants, like a 1911, a fairly hefty and large .45, I don't think you can hardly beat a Sig P220.   The 220 can be purchased as a .22LR and you can buy the .45 upper later that way you have a .22 and a .45.  After owning only a dozen or so 1911s and only several Sigs, but having shot the snot out of 220s, I like the 220 over the 1911.

I have never heard a .45 XD user complain about the XD in .45.  I have no experience with the HKs.

The sleeper in the bunch is the Bersa Thunder .45.  I took one of those to the range against a couple of high dollar (for me) 1911s and thought the Bersa was at least as nice to shoot.     

My choices:  Value:  S&W M&P .45; $1000.00 range .45 would be the Sig 220

Guest josie22412

I agree with the majority of the earlier suggestions, especially "gregintenn". My personal experience with .45's has been isolated to 1911's so my suggestions will be limited to that particular style of handgun.

I think that there a lot of reliable and fairly accurate 1911's out there in the $700-$800 range but if he has the money I would suggest that he find a nice Colt. Colt has many different 1911 versions so it is highly likely that he will be able to find one that is a proper fit for him. As mentioned previously by another member, if the firearm is not comfortable in the hands of the shooter then he/she will be reluctant to practice with it. And, if that's the case it becomes nothing more than an overpriced paperweight. 

I would typically stay away from the 1911 unless it is just an itch that has to be scratched.  They have more maintenance, overall more fiddle factor, and generally more money than you need to spend.  With that said there are a lot of good .45 1911s...Taurus, Remington, Springfield, etc. for around $600 - $700.   BUT, if you just have to have the 'big hole' in the .45, and you want a very reliable, easy to operate gun, I'd go with the Smith M&P or the Springfield XD.

If looking past the 1911s, I like the Sig Compact 45s (Model 245 now only in the used market) and the Glock 30.

A sleeper is the Stoegar Couger in .45 (built using the Beretta equipment shipped to Turkey). A remarkable value per quality ratio!

Knowing his purposes would help but the above are mid-size muti-purpose quality pieces.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Springfield Armory, not the XD but the 1911 line covers pretty much all price ranges and the quality, customer service and reliability is one of the best in the market.

I have five pistols from Springfield, 1911 and XD.  All have been accurate and dependable.  I've never needed their customer service and lifetime warranty, but it's good knowing I can depend on them if necessary.

• Like 1

If he wants a 1911 in .45:

1)  Armscor, Rock Island, Metro Arms, American Classic.  These are all sound Phillipine made 1911s in the 500.00 range

2)  Ruger or Remington

3) Sig, S&W, Kimber (although it seems Kimbers are either hated or loved)

If he wants a striker fired .45 I think a S&W M&P would be the answer.

If he wants, like a 1911, a fairly hefty and large .45, I don't think you can hardly beat a Sig P220.   The 220 can be purchased as a .22LR and you can buy the .45 upper later that way you have a .22 and a .45.  After owning only a dozen or so 1911s and only several Sigs, but having shot the snot out of 220s, I like the 220 over the 1911.

I have never heard a .45 XD user complain about the XD in .45.  I have no experience with the HKs.

The sleeper in the bunch is the Bersa Thunder .45.  I took one of those to the range against a couple of high dollar (for me) 1911s and thought the Bersa was at least as nice to shoot.     

My choices:  Value:  S&W M&P .45; $1000.00 range .45 would be the Sig 220

I would stay away from Kimber...I've had several. They are nice firearms but IMAHO are overpriced based on their quality and performance.

I recommend taking a look at the SigSauer line of 1911s or DanWesson; they aren't inexpensive but I think they give good value for the $.