ATF raids FPSRussia home

I'm all for freedom and generally disgusted with the ATF, but this guy definitely raises some eyebrows. His partner was murdered not long ago, and now he's being investigated for illegal explosives.

Seems like some things just aren't worth internet fame.

I'm all for freedom and generally disgusted with the ATF, but this guy definitely raises some eyebrows. His partner was murdered not long ago, and now he's being investigated for illegal explosives.

Seems like some things just aren't worth internet fame.

The explosives are not illegal. Using them to get paid without a license is. It is perfectly legal for an individual to make and use explosives providing they are not doing it as part of a business. Otherwise Tannerite would be illegal the second it was mixed.

If you use Tannerite to blow up your own stump it is perfectly legal. Using it to blow a stump for someone else that pays you is illegal unless you have the proper license.

Dolomite

• Like 1

Does YouTube pay for videos? If so my daughter and her friend are due some money!!!

As someone else said, if you are a "youtube partner" you get paid. If there is an ad before the video, they are getting paid. Im pretty sure its $20 per 1000 views, which doesnt sound like much, but when a video is getting 100k+ views, it adds up.

In response to the thread topic, it was just a matter of time before the atf investigated him.

The explosives are not illegal. Using them to get paid without a license is. It is perfectly legal for an individual to make and use explosives providing they are not doing it as part of a business. Otherwise Tannerite would be illegal the second it was mixed.

If you use Tannerite to blow up your own stump it is perfectly legal. Using it to blow a stump for someone else that pays you is illegal unless you have the proper license.

Dolomite

I always wondered how Tannerite was legal.

Guest RedLights&Sirens

When are they going to raid Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, Mythbusters? They're always blowing something up.
I hope they don't cancel the show, I like it.

Can I investigate Kari? A redhead who likes guns, explosives and destruction is a woman after my heart. So much so that I can look past her being a vegan

When are they going to raid Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, Mythbusters? They're always blowing something up.

They have a license, or have a pyrotechnics guy that has a license that sets up te explosions.

Just like Sons of guns and those other shows where they blow up big stuff. On-air TV shows have all the legalities covered the networks make sure of that.

YouTube has no such securities. If you blow things up on video especially on a large scale, expect a door knock.

Here is a copy of the Police report and charges that Brian Childs was charged with when he got stupid with tannerite. He pled guilty for a fine and three years’ probation.

Sounds to me like they may be going after Kyle Myers because he isn’t cooperating with the homicide investigation; but that’s just a WAG.

http://www.wdio.com/kstpImages/childs_criminal_complaint.pdf

When are they going to raid Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, Mythbusters? They're always blowing something up. 

They stay out of trouble because they always work with someone who has the proper licenses to blow stuff up.   In FPSRussia's case they were investigating explosives and not guns or NFA items.  I guess they lack the proper license for the explosives in their videos.

They have a license, or have a pyrotechnics guy that has a license that sets up te explosions.

Just like Sons of guns and those other shows where they blow up big stuff. On-air TV shows have all the legalities covered the networks make sure of that.

YouTube has no such securities. If you blow things up on video especially on a large scale, expect a door knock.

I am surprised we don't read about more ATF youtube raids.   There is a ton of stuff on youtube that can't be legal.

Someone mentioned that he is being investigated?  No.  An investigation is when a couple of cops come to your house, sit you down, and start asking questions.  When the cops first action is an all out raid with state and federales it is NOT an investigation.  It is something else.  I don't know about anyone else, but I am really worn out on the whole cops acting like they were the US military super tactical troopers thing.

Someone mentioned that he is being investigated? No. An investigation is when a couple of cops come to your house, sit you down, and start asking questions. When the cops first action is an all out raid with state and federales it is NOT an investigation. It is something else. I don't know about anyone else, but I am really worn out on the whole cops acting like they were the US military super tactical troopers thing.

Agreed, there was no need for the Stormtrooper treatment.

Tannerite is legal, they made videos which were also legal, they got a residual payment based on how many people viewed the videos, they did not "get paid" for using the explosives commerically without the proper licenses, which would have been a violation.

Sounds to me like they were attempting to stretch the statute so as to use it as an excuse in order to go "fishing" inside his house & business.
  • Like 4

Here's the thing.  The guy constantly fires automatic weapons on his property and sets off explosives.  Does anyone actually thing the local sheriff has never gotten any complaints, never talked to the guy, and does not know what is going on?  Why would the staties not talk to the sheriff, and have him take a couple of agents out there?  This is just another one of the "legal invasions" the government likes so much.

• Like 1

The use of explosives is a key peice of their videos.  It is a large part of why they have so many viewers so they are profiting from mixing a binary compund into an explosive.  If they are doing it without the proper licensing it is illegal.  The LE agencies involved would probably argue that the large number of officers involved in the search is prudent given the fact that there was a very large area to be searched and the known presence of multiple weapons.  I dont necessarily agree but im sure a court would not find it excessive.  As far as no arrests from the search, honestly i think thats exactly what should be happening.  They had enough PC to obtain the search warrant and conducted a lawfull search.  An arrest should happen only after they have weighed any evidence gathered.