Graphic about ammo prices of the last 7 years.

A post from reddit:

I've decided to dump the data from my site (gun-deals.com) into a Google spreadsheet so anyone can easily play with the data and use it to graph or plot the previous 7 year ammunition prices for most calibers and vendors. The snapshot is from today with 25,604 data points from August 2006 - May 2013.

qcEayil.png

Just interesting to look at.

• Like 3

For me, it's just hard to accept that a box of 9mm was $5.99 at Wal-Mart in 2004-2005. That same box of ammo today, assuming you can find any, is around $12.

If ammo continues to increase at this same rate I will be finding a new hobby. Hell, I can't even find 9mm at a reasonable price now so I'm not even going to the range because I don't want to deplete my stash. 

• Like 1

For me, it's just hard to accept that a box of 9mm was $5.99 at Wal-Mart in 2004-2005. That same box of ammo today, assuming you can find any, is around $12.

If ammo continues to increase at this same rate I will be finding a new hobby. Hell, I can't even find 9mm at a reasonable price now so I'm not even going to the range because I don't want to deplete my stash.

I shot a whole box of. 22lr yesterday. I felt so guilty after.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 3

Gas as not been $1 since the early 90's if not before.

The cheapest I can actually remember is 1.25 ish but I'm only 25.

It was $.95 in 2000, back when my parents bought our first big gas guzzling v8 suv. I remember it being .97/gallon. And I was born in 1992, so it has been about 12 years.

Yep. You need to find the reloading hobby.

• Like 1

And I was born in 1992, so it has been about 12 years.

Good grief...I'm friggin old! :ugh:

I'm currently shooting Federal .22 LR I purchased in 1991-1993...

Interesting graph. Thanks for posting it. It kinda reinforces the point that ammo is a decent investment from many aspects...

I've always heard "buy it cheap and stack it deep". I guess it's all relative... and is certainly worth the time and money to pick up good deals when they present themselves.

I just thank the Good Lord I started reloading a loooong time ago. :pleased:

Edited by prag

I remember buying gas between '97 and '00 at anywhere between $0.78-$0.95.  Good times for a young guy without much money to his name, being a poor (in cash) student and all at the time.  Back then for me, today's gas prices would have been an existential crisis.  At least I've made it to a point where $4.00 gas is just something I manage and am not forced to make hard choices when it comes time to fill up the truck....no big deal.  Somehow I'm having more trouble accepting that $0.18 / round 9mm is gone, and $0.30 is the new normal.  Gas quadrupled, and I rolled with it.  9mm has increased by 60% or so, and it has had a much more pronounced effect on my habits.  Granted, gas is a necessity, but so are rounds if shooting is one of the few things you love to do, and especially if you consider it a skill that may save your life.  On the face of the whole internal conflict, I'd say my brain is not making much sense, and letting the heart and gut get in the way....either that, or the brain believes prices will continue to drop.  Who knows?  I worked a double last night, so it's time for bed.

Makes me feel old

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

You think that makes you feel old. Heck when I started riding motorcycles in the early 70's gas was like 0.35 cents a gal. Then when I started driving it was 0.49 cents.

I get the November 2008 and December 2012 spikes, but can't recall what event jumped the price in the summer of 2009. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Summer of 09 cost spike was the "Great Ammo Shortage of 09" after Obama got elected the first time.

As soon as he got elected there was a big run on ammo. By the late spring/early summer there was an ammo shortage much like we have now, but mostly just in the super popular calibers like .380 9,40, 45 .223 and 762x39.

Back then .22 was not hard to get and a lot of folks were coming to classes using .22 conversions for their pistols. I think memories of that is part of  what caused a big spike in buying this time that started the day after the election last November. Add in the Sandy Hook shooting 6 weeks later, and then the dems showing their true colors and trying to pass a gun ban that was largely targeted at making things harder on LAW ABIDING CITIZENS and you get what you have now.

This industry is built around servicing the needs of about 20% of gun owners because that is all that really buy anything on a regular basis. But for the last few months you have had probably 85 to 90% buying all they could find.....so if we go from 16-20 MILLION people actively buying to 70-75 MILLION people buying it creates a huge lack of availability in product. 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Like 2

I can remember in the spring of 2009 a rumor that all ammo will expire in 6 months. Obama supposedly put out to ammo makers that all ammo must expire in 6 months. I was told this by a bunch of dealers as they tried to sell me inflated ammo. And customers bought into the "All ammunition made after June 2009 will have an expiration date". I was at a show in 2009 and a dealer was selling CCI Stinger for $27 a box with a sign saying "Pre June". When I asked about the June thing the dealer stated all ammo made after June of 2009 will expire in 6 months.

That is the only thing I can remember from 2009 to cause a run on ammunition.

Here in Nashville, on Donelson Pike, There was one Citgo that had it for. 99 in 2003. I know because at the time, I had a '75 Ford pickup with a 460 and 2 gas tanks. I visited often :)

Edited by superduty
  • Like 1

I can remember in the spring of 2009 a rumor that all ammo will expire in 6 months. Obama supposedly put out to ammo makers that all ammo must expire in 6 months. I was told this by a bunch of dealers as they tried to sell me inflated ammo. And customers bought into the "All ammunition made after June 2009 will have an expiration date". I was at a show in 2009 and a dealer was selling CCI Stinger for $27 a box with a sign saying "Pre June". When I asked about the June thing the dealer stated all ammo made after June of 2009 will expire in 6 months.

That is the only thing I can remember from 2009 to cause a run on ammunition.

Wow. I can't believe people bought that. As ridiculous as it sounds would that even be possible. How could you make a reliable product out of powder and led that would no longer function after 6 months.

Wow. I can't believe people bought that. As ridiculous as it sounds would that even be possible. How could you make a reliable product out of powder and led that would no longer function after 6 months.

Its being done now. Not 6 months but more like 2-3 years. Winchester WinClean ammo does have a short shelf life, its the primer though not the powder.

Seems to me that ammo prices do level out and even decline after bouts of panic buying. Expect nice prices in early 2015

It'd be nice, and I hope you're right.

Just remember that Obama and his ilk are still there, and I don't think they're done just yet...

People believe anything they read on the internet, which is at least half the reason we are in the situation we are now.

I paid $0.75 per gallon when i was 16-17yrs  that was in '97 and i know it dipped down below $1.00 per gallon after it passed $2.00 the first time. Either way, we won't see that again.

The government is not the reason for the shortage. It is our "Good Ole Boy" fellow gun owners who have raided the supply. I see them leaving WALMART in the morning with their pickup beds full of ammo. They aren't storing it for Armeggedon either, they are selling it for ridiculaous prices at gun shows. There are factions of the press that are keeping the "they are coming for our guns" alive and well to fuel the flame. This isn't a Democratic Party move, it is fringe Republican Neo-Cons hoping to blame all our woes on OB so they can get our votes and  put one of their own in the White House in 2016. I left the Republican party during GB's administration. I can't be a Democrat (too Conservative) and now have no political affiliation. We need to string the whole lot up! Were being screwed by our own!