Ruger Mark series or 1911-22 style?

jhc77

Looking to get a new plinker so I can retire my early Ruger Mark I(A-100 frame). Never owned a 1911 style before and figured I can tinker with that until I get a real 1911. Familiar with the Mark series already so I'm on the fence.

For me, it 6 of one, half dozen of the other.  I have two Mark III's and two 1911-22's.  All are fun to shoot and all function about equally.  Since you have the Mark I and already kind of know it, I would say try a 1911 style.  I prefer the Sig version of the 1911-22.  Nice gun for the money.  The GSG 1911-22 is the same gun, but I still prefer the Sig version. Plus you can get +4 followers from Joebobs for the Sig and GSG.

Edited by Hozzie

The 1911 looking 22s seem nice, I have no experience with them, so I can't give you a pros and cons. IMO the Ruger MK series is one of the best 22 pistols out there, since you have experience with them you know they are built like a rock, shoot well and eat up any ammo you throw at them. Plus, there is all the customizing you can do to them. I personally favor the MKII.

I'm a MK fan myself. I like that it eats everything from match ammo to corroded rounds I find on the floor at the range with no issues. In fact it's the gun I use to fire rounds that for whatever reason won't fire out of my rifles. Every box has at least 5 that fail to fire, I just save them on the bench and load them through the MK and it takes care of business every time.

The Ruger 22/45 sounds like it was made just for people in you shoes, get you used to the feel though not the manual of arms of a 1911 plus the benefits of the MK series. I'm thinking about picking up one of their Lite models.

I'm a MK fan myself. I like that it eats everything from match ammo to corroded rounds I find on the floor at the range with no issues. In fact it's the gun I use to fire rounds that for whatever reason won't fire out of my rifles. Every box has at least 5 that fail to fire, I just save them on the bench and load them through the MK and it takes care of business every time.

The Ruger 22/45 sounds like it was made just for people in you shoes, get you used to the feel though not the manual of arms of a 1911 plus the benefits of the MK series. I'm thinking about picking up one of their Lite models.

This is the one I've been looking at. Part number 10140. At around $300, it wont hurt too bad.

I've had a Lite, in this format (22/45) I really didn't like it, balance and weight seemed off.  I like the 22/45 though. I've always wanted to shoot a 1911 with one of these:    http://www.marvelprecision.com/unit1.php

I have heard that the Nighthawk conversion designed by Bob Marvel himself is supposed to be the equal of the above Unit 1.  http://www.nighthawkcustom.com/pistols/22-pistol-22-conversions/22-conversion-units.html

I'm pretty sure all other .22 1911s,conversions are mere plinkers compared to the two highlighted above. 

I had the GSG 1911-22 and I really liked it. It was solely responsible for my current obsession with 1911s and I now carry an Officer sized 1911.

The Rugers are nice and I have shot one a couple of times. They seem like a little better quality to me.

If you just want to try the 1911 style then you won't go wrong getting the Sig or GSG. The GSG had a threaded barrel to thread on an adapter for a suppressor if that means anything to you.

I'd go with the Ruger 22/45...maybe one like this. :D

I've heard that a lot of the 1911 style .22LR pistols can be ammo picky. The Ruger MKIII 22/45 will shoot anything.

Sharp looking there. I have been eyeballing the stainless barrel also. Blued finishes have me keep checking my safe for moisture (there is a moisture control agent in there, little OCD I guess). I've got 3 or 4 other .22 (antiques but used) rifles that I check on and keep wiped down.

Right now looks to be a Ruger.

There are plenty of choices in shorter lengthed semi-auto .22LR's on the market, but not so many choices availible in 10" barrels besides the Ruger MK series.

But don't get me wrong, they are awesome shooters regardless of barrel length but when you couple the MK series action with a big long bull barrel they are some serious tack drivers.

most of the 1911-22 style pistols that are recent seem to be of dubious quality.  Not junk but not 1911 rugged either.  Its expensive, but if you want a 1911 22 build one from a 1911 rather than buy one of the 22 versions, using one of the quality adapter kits.  

meanwhile, the mark 3 is the same old rugged design as always and will last a lifetime.  You may want to remove the extra safety and convert it back into a mark 2, but its a well made, accurate, amazing pistol. 

If I had my choice, I would get a high dollar custom 1911 22 with a trigger job and the works.   If I could not have that, I would skip to the mark 3.   Again, though, I am not saying the 1911-22 models are "bad", I am just saying that between the 2 I would pick the ruger for a number of reasons (again, better made, probably more reliable, fixed barrel = accuracy, easy to do trigger job, and so on). 

I bought a Ruger Mark 22/45 and a Ruger SR22 late last fall knowing I would give one to my 12 year old niece, I decided to keep the SR22 but I've shot her 22/45 quite a bit when we've gong shooting and it's a great pistol....different enough from the usual Mark series but different enough that I think you would enjoy it.

And hey, if you don't, I'd be you wouldn't have ANY trouble selling it and getting something else. ;)

Hopefully I'll get out Friday and peruse a couple of shops. After some searching I'd rather not buy a 1911/22, and right now I don't have enough scratch to pick up a nice 1911 in .45 and convert it to .22.

Going Ruger.

I don't blame you, I'd stick with Ruger too. I know I'm foolish over my MKII with the bull barrel.

Agreed for money they are really hard to beat, but for those with a little more scratch budgeted, S&W Model 41's are very exceptional target .22LR semi-auto pistols.
  • Like 1

Agreed for money they are really hard to beat, but for those with a little more scratch budgeted, S&W Model 41's are very exceptional target .22LR semi-auto pistols.

I think you mean "for those with a LOT more scratch budgeted, S&W Model 41's are very exceptional target .22LR semi-auto pistols." I haven't seen one for less than a grand in a long time...and that is used.

I'd go with the Ruger 22/45...maybe one like this. :D

9qv7yh.jpg

I've heard that a lot of the 1911 style .22LR pistols can be ammo picky. The Ruger MKIII 22/45 will shoot anything.

I'd second this one.  "Pre Lite" 22/45.

If you are looking for a training gun for the 1911 platform then get either the SIG or the GSG. They are both made by the same company. I got SIG because of the warranty. I also added the enhancement package and took out the magazine safety on mine, but that was my choice. The only problem I have had is with the finish. It is easily scratched. The gun does function well and is very accurate.
  • 3 months later...

For me, it 6 of one, half dozen of the other.  I have two Mark III's and two 1911-22's.  All are fun to shoot and all function about equally.  Since you have the Mark I and already kind of know it, I would say try a 1911 style.  I prefer the Sig version of the 1911-22.  Nice gun for the money.  The GSG 1911-22 is the same gun, but I still prefer the Sig version. Plus you can get +4 followers from Joebobs for the Sig and GSG.

Is either of the MKllls the "Hunter" model? if so, what do you think of it? Is the fiber optic front sight too crude for accuracy? Will it dine on any ammo, like I hear so many saying the others will? If the creeks don't rise, I hope to find and own the MKlll Hunter, with the stainless fluted barrel, stainless frame, and fiber optic front site. Where did you get yours, and what might a budget minded ole cuss expect to have to pay to get one of these? There must be some "lightly" used ones around for a good price... someone on here said Bud's has them for $509. can't wait to shoot one.

I have a stainless Mk 3 target model. It will eat anything from Aguilla to Eley without a hiccup.

As for accuracy, I tossed a handful of used 12 ga shells onto the ground yesterday and hit 6 out of 6 at 25 yards.

I suggest if you want a .22 1911, you should wait and buy yourself a 1911 and then get one of the Kimber .22 kits for it.

I just recently became the proud owner of a new MKIII Hunter, in stainless with the long fluted barrel, fiber optic front sight and the Ruger target grips. It is absolutely gorgeous and shoots as good as it looks. With a red dot on top, it's as accurate as my AR22 out to 50 yards. I haven't tried it past 50 yds.....yet.

I ordered the bushing that you put in to be able to remove the magazine disconnect. I also ordered the piece to replace the loaded chamber indicator. I plan to get the Volquartsen stainless match trigger and sear very soon. That's the neat thing about the Ruger's.....there's plenty stuff available to customize them and make them even better.

This gun is a keeper for sure. This is one that will become a treasured heirloom to my son, and his son, and so on. IMHO, every serious gun lover needs one of these in his/her collection.