LEOs of TGO, I have a question

The other day I was driving along on 58 towards Oak Ridge when I saw a OR cop car in the right lane stopped with lights on. When I got closer I saw he had an AR pointed at a suspect who was also pulled over on the shoulder walking backwards with his hands up. The cop was the only one there. Can anyone tell me what would be the reason for such a show of force? Not to mention being stopped in the right hand lane of a busy highway. The only thing I could think of when I drive by was "Rule #4!"
I always thought cops called backup for anything other than a speeding ticket? I could understand the show of force if it was someone with a dangerous warrant, but very odd to hear about him being alone. Hell they called 3 cars worth of backup on me a few years ago over a blown brake light bulb, because I had an unloaded shotgun in the gun rack. Police officer didn't like it when I told him if I wanted to hurt him, the gun wouldn't be hanging in plain view and he wouldn't have seen it before I shot him. Might suck to hear, but its true :o

Tapatalk ate my spelling.
Edited by Spots

I could understand the show of force if it was someone with a dangerous warrant, but very odd to hear about him being alone.

It is always preferable to have backup when performing a felony stop.  However, sometimes different circumstances require different procedures.  Maybe something led the officer to make the stop right then.  Hard to say since there are many variables.  It probably started out as a "routine" (although I hate using that word) traffic stop, and turned into a felony stop when the guy turned out to have some felony warrant for his arrest.

• Like 1

It is always preferable to have backup when performing a felony stop.  However, sometimes different circumstances require different procedures.  Maybe something led the officer to make the stop right then.  Hard to say since there are many variables.  It probably started out as a "routine" (although I hate using that word) traffic stop, and turned into a felony stop when the guy turned out to have some felony warrant for his arrest.

sometimes you got to do what has to be done as fast as possible.   it is not like what you see on tv/movies.  backup is never just around the block waiting to back you up. 

Guest Bonedaddy

Maybe you just went by before backup could arrive. If it's potentially dangerous, he can't wait on'm and has to neutralize then, if possible. ARs are better than vinegar for nasty stuff.

I would rather him be over gunned versus under gunned till backup got there. But I would probably be like you seeing it, like holy crap, he is by himself with his AR out! We've all seen how fast the BG can get out and start slinging lead toward the LEO who has to react. Hope it turned out good.

Can anyone tell me what would be the reason for such a show of force?

After calling in a plate on traffic stop…
Dispatcher: Unit 1, the owner of that vehicle is wanted for murder out of Nashville. Units 2,3,4 start for 1’s location.
  • Like 1
There are times when action has to be taken even without backup or additional officers. Also the use of a rifle is dictated by different reasons. If it is reported the suspect has a long gun I deploy my rifle, I don't want to match a pistol versus rifle. I wouldn't expect any reasonable person to do it so I won't. Also I don't know how many of you have actually dealt with some real thugs or gang members they have pistols pulled on them in their line of work in their rough neighborhoods so pistols don't always have the same psycological effect.
  • Like 4

Yeah, I'm trying to figure that one out too.

1. All guns are always loaded.
  2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
  4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

• All guns are always loaded.
  • Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
  • Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
  • Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

This. With his line of sight, every car that passed would have been directly behind the suspect. I was in his line of sight for a few seconds and with my family in the car it made me extremely nervous.