The rifle to have--if you only have one......

I am in need of some guidance. I will admit--I'm not a fan of shooting rifles. I love target handgun, defensive pistol, skeet and trap. At the same time, i see the very important role of a rifle. So, i need to buy one. I will preface this by saying, i have several .22's (semi auto and bolt) and a Winchester pre-64 model 94 in 30wsf. I'm not going to go practice with a unfired model 94. I'm also not going to consider it for field use.

I have had AR's in the past and i highly respect the platform but I'm not sure it is the right gun for my uses, If you can make a case for it, i am all ears. So, here is what i am looking for. I think the Ruger Scout would fit my needs and i would love any feedback on that particular rife you might have.

Qualifications:

-caliber that would allow hunting in the southeast

-magazine capacity of at least 5 rounds. Detachable is a plus.

-Relatively low recoil (i want my wife to be able to handle the rifle if absolutely necessary)

-readily available caliber.

-effective range of 250 yrds (if i do my part)

-suitable for defensive situation (highly unlikely)

-configuration that would not likely be effected by future gun regulations (the main reson i am leaning toward a bolt action--did i mention that i just finished reading 'Enemies foreign and domestic)

-Price range is ~$800. I can go over a little for the right gun. "buy right once, cry once"

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ben

Edited by Parrothead
If your definetly wanting a bolt gun then the gunsite scout is about the only one that fits the criteria. If you wanna go to .223 then the Mossberg MVP takes AR mags and is a bolt gun.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/centerfire/mvp-series

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 3
Guest Bonedaddy

Well, since they don't make a tube fed, safe .308Win. lever action, I'd hafta go with a Savage or Remmy 700 in .308 with a hinged floor plate and preferably iron sights, too. BTW...that detachable mag option might be one of them "regulation" problems in the future.

Guest Wildogre

You could also look at the Savage model 10 or a lever action in 30-30 if you are willing to look at something other than a bolt action. 

Well, since they don't make a tube fed, safe .308Win. lever action, I'd hafta go with a Savage or Remmy 700 in .308 with a hinged floor plate and preferably iron sights, too. BTW...that detachable mag option might be one of them "regulation" problems in the future.

Savage 99 solves that. Safe, stronger than ANY 94 type lever gun and no tube magazine so spitzer bullets work just fine.
  • Like 1
I'd say rem 700. 308 or 223. Military calibers. Means there will always be ammo being produced or stocked somewhere. Something like a SPS model. Then install a detachable bottom metal, and use mags. 5-10 round AI mags would also be idea and extremely reliable.

Savage 99 solves that. Safe, stronger than ANY 94 type lever gun and no tube magazine so spitzer bullets work just fine.

Lever action for sure. Lots of options. I love my Browning B92 in .44mag. It's a blast, and holds 11 in the tube, and weighs somewhere around 5lbs. Fun, light, and plenty of power. It doesn't like cast boolits (micro-groove!) but is darn accurate with jacketed bullets.

• Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

Savage 99 is a single shot, isn't it? If they just made a readily available, accurate, flat nosed .308, there's no other reason a tube mag shouldn't work for a good lever action. The .307 works, just not popular. I'm more and more thinkin' of a .357 or .44 (maybe even go back to 30.30) lever gun for that reason. At least there would be some ammo but not so hot past 100 yds. or so but for survival reasons, it would work just fine.

[url=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/99%20savage/IMG_2287_zps34d8ed1c.jpg.html]IMG_2287_zps34d8ed1c.jpg[/URL]

A guy could do worse!

Savage 99 is a single shot, isn't it?  If they just made a readily available, accurate, flat nosed .308

Nope. It has a five shot rotary magazine, so pointed bullets aren't a concern. They were also made in 308. If you consider sub M.O.A. accurate, the 99 fits the bill.

magazine capacity of at least 5 rounds. Detachable is a plus.

I feel that a detachable magazine is nothing more than something you will eventually misplace, or at least forget and leave at home.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
Guest Bonedaddy

Didn't realize nor research that but that would purdy much fit the bill for me. 5 shot is enough if ya got multiple mags (is detachable, ain't it?) and .308, too. Yep. Sounds good. How much them things fetchin', though?

Edited by Bonedaddy

The Savage 99 is not a single shot.  I believe it's a internal box.  Another lever action you might want to consider is a Winchester Mdl 88 in .308.  Obviously, they don't make them anymore, but they were a top notch modern lever action when they were made back in the day.  You still see them around from time to time.

I would think that a lever gun in .357 or .44  would be the ticket!  They seem to be rare as hens teeth, though.  However, there were a couple of Marlins in .357 for sale here in on the board, this week.

Edited by Moped
Guest Bonedaddy

Mag's not detachable, is it? Appears that way anyhoo. Didn't look real hard but still sounds good to me and the prices I saw on a couple sites were good, too. Yep. Likin' that better all the time.

I have an AR in .223, an AR in .308, a Rem 700 VLS in .308, a Mossberg MVP in .223, plus many others that have nothing to do with this conversation.

If I’m picking only one gun I must first decide on the caliber. That’s hands down .308 Winchester. My 308 VLS, nice as it is; is still just a bolt gun. That’s leaves a 308 AR. It fills all roles, Hunting, target shooting, home defense, and combat rifle. Far less felt recoil than 308 bolt, not much more than a .223. You won’t find one for $800, but once the latest panic dies down you can one in the $1200 range.

I started this thinking I am going to recommend the Remy 700 or Savage model 10 but as I was scrolling down, another rifle came to mind that I believe would be the best choice for your needs. Consider the FN AR, a little above your price range but I am sure you can find one used closer to your price range. The reason I am not recommending the model 700 is the price for the mags, I have one with a removable mag and 5 round mags are close to $50. The FN AR takes a 20 round detachable mag, priced much lower than the 5 round Remy mag, offers almost the same accuracy out of the box,(1moa) with a much faster rate of fire, and come in 308 win which can handle any game you wanna hunt in TN.

I started this thinking I am going to recommend the Remy 700 or Savage model 10 but as I was scrolling down, another rifle came to mind that I believe would be the best choice for your needs. Consider the FN AR, a little above your price range but I am sure you can find one used closer to your price range. The reason I am not recommending the model 700 is the price for the mags, I have one with a removable mag and 5 round mags are close to $50. The FN AR takes a 20 round detachable mag, priced much lower than the 5 round Remy mag, offers almost the same accuracy out of the box,(1moa) with a much faster rate of fire, and come in 308 win which can handle any game you wanna hunt in TN.

I like the way this reads. Other than the fear of future regulations, this might fit the bill. I'm gonna do some research. I don't know why i haven't seen these........

Edited by Parrothead

Saiga makes a .308 too.  Doesn't get in less complicated than an AK.  Should be able to get a new one for around that price. Great rifle in a great caliber!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=356178043

BTW, I wouldn't worry about them coming to take them away, later on.  Which they may do.  I'd get one before they no longer allow them to be sold. 

Edited by Moped

I'm thrilled you are asking the question.  Might I suggest that we not be afraid of future legislation; we should merely Vote!!

Oh, and we can be smart about how we steward our 2nd ammendment right.  It exists, therefore it needs to be stewarded.  Be a kind, caring, aware, open-hearted firearm carrier/advocate/enthusiast. 

-off soap.

I second the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.  Ok, I don't own one, but I've heard many folks that do say that they would sell every other rifle before they sold that one.  The way it feels in the hand, I can believe it.

As always, if I was going to buy a firearm, and if I could only have one, it would probably be an LWRC M6A2.  The right round in a 5.56 cartridge can do wonders. ...  caveat: it is not anywhere close to a "big game" cartridge.

Fun search!  Good luck!