Picked up another motorcycle and insurance problems.

blizzard

I ride a Suzuki M109R. Which is one of the most powerful cruisers out. I have it and all three of my automobiles insured through Farm Bureau. I have had them for years on all my cars and several motorcycles. Never had a problem. Well a friend of a friend was needing money bad and I bought his Yamaha R6  for a little of nothing. Had the wife call to add it on to insurance and our agent said that bike was on a list of bikes they don't insure. The wife went through the whole deal of "well he already has it" and "we have been with you for years with other sport bikes". She said to give her a couple of hours to see what she could do. She finally called back and said they would do it because of the long relationship. I have never heard of a insurance company black balling certain motorcycles. Anyone else ever had that happen?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride a Suzuki M109R. Which is one of the most powerful cruisers out. I have it and all three of my automobiles insured through Farm Bureau. I have had them for years on all my cars and several motorcycles. Never had a problem. Well a friend of a friend was needing money bad and I bought his Yamaha R6  for a little of nothing. Had the wife call to add it on to insurance and our agent said that bike was on a list of bikes they don't insure. The wife went through the whole deal of "well he already has it" and "we have been with you for years with other sport bikes". She said to give her a couple of hours to see what she could do. She finally called back and said they would do it because of the long relationship. I have never heard of a insurance company black balling certain motorcycles. Anyone else ever had that happen?

That is or at one time not long ago was the most wrecked bikes out there. While it makes no sense because the wreck occurs because of the operator and there are other bikes that are as quick or quicker out there, neither does writing more expensive policies for white or red cars because they are broken into more often. The software and algorithms used by insurance companies don't take into account the reason for the stats. There are more (or was at one time) more white and red cars on the road so of coarse they are broken into more often and at one time the R6 was the most popular/common sport bike on the road so naturally they were involved in more accidents. Now any insurance guys feel free to correct me if this is not the case any more but i was told this by a previous insurance provider when I questioned him on this topic. 

I've never purchased motorcycle insurance. What are you going to tear up with a motorcycle you can't pay for?

Ever been pulled over on a bike with no insurance? It can be tough getting even liability on some bikes and it is a $250 fine from Rutherford County SO when they catch you without it... Ask me how I found this out. The ticket was a grand total of $990 and some change. 

Ever been pulled over on a bike with no insurance? It can be tough getting even liability on some bikes and it is a $250 fine from Rutherford County SO when they catch you without it... Ask me how I found this out. The ticket was a grand total of $990 and some change. 

It's a law??!!?? Seriously? That's horse feces.

I have USAA and never had an issue. But it's been 4 years now since I sold my GSXR-600.

I haven't heard of any "black list" on bikes. I figure they would insure just about anything for the right price.

I'm currently with USAA and have been since 1989.  They don't insure motorcycles but "partner" with Progressive for MC insurance.

Basically Progressive said they will issue for anything but it might cost you more per year for insurance on a super bike than the bike cost to purchase.

insurance is something that you got t have, but most never use.  been with usaa since 75 and never had to use them for auto/mc claim.  paid lots of money in, nothing out on the vehicle side.  but on the house side i have made it all back in spades.  lost the house in 92 in miami  because of andrew.   

paid lots of money in, nothing out on the vehicle side. but on the house side i have made it all back in spades. lost the house in 92 in miami because of andrew.

That was one hell of a storm. I was on Gulf side and caught the weaker end of it. We had family friends in Homestead. Their story is unbelievable.

I've never purchased motorcycle insurance. What are you going to tear up with a motorcycle you can't pay for?

Ask this guy that crossed the center line and TOTALED this Corvette.  I don't want to buy a Corvette out of pocket that I don't get to play with.12_zps3fa17f26.jpg

Ask this guy that crossed the center line and TOTALED this Corvette.  I don't want to buy a Corvette out of pocket that I don't get to play with.12_zps3fa17f26.jpg

That is one he'll of a picture!!!

I'm with USAA and when I purchased a Mustang Cobra they recommended I insure it elsewhere, when I bought a Z06 they had the best rates. It's all in the history of the vehicle model. 

Yourself, I'm running over $600,000 in medical expenses at the moment and about to jump up another $20-30k getting a few plates removed in a couple of months.

As for the OP, the only time I've ever seen a company not insure a bike is if they were the ones that totaled it out from a previous wreck. 

Yourself, I'm running over $600,000 in medical expenses at the moment and about to jump up another $20-30k getting a few plates removed in a couple of months.

As for the OP, the only time I've ever seen a company not insure a bike is if they were the ones that totaled it out from a previous wreck. 

Wouldn't my medical insurance cover the majority of that?

It's a law??!!?? Seriously? That's horse feces.

The law requires you to carry liability insurance on all vehicles driven on public roadways. That's insurance that covers the other guy and his property. The law doesn't care what happens to you or your vehicle if you're at fault. That's your own business. It's actually one of the better laws out there in that it gives you personal freedom to have or not have insurance on yourself, but you're not going to screw/get screwed by someone else as long as everyone's following the law on this one. It's not uncommon for a policy on a relatively low-cost vehicle like many bikes and older cars to not have coverage for damage to that vehicle. You'd still have liability insurance and may have medical coverage for yourself though even without the physical damage coverage on your own vehicle.

Edited by monkeylizard

That sounds like a big government problem, not an insurance problem :)

Tail of the dragon, huh?  That must be the most photographed road in the SE and for that we get all these excellent pics.

Had a buddy lay down his ultra and crossed over totaling some sort of sport bike.  Never understood the appeal of that road for a cruiser.

Edited by sigmtnman

Unfortunately yes, some insurance companies and some individual agents blacklist some motorcycles.  I've got State Farm for most everything including my CBR, but my agent is a long time family friend.  I've heard stories of some SF agents refusing to insure various types of bikes.  My best advice is to shop around, not only the bike policy but everything else (home/renters, car, etc.)