Admin: Please lock.

Guest Nunya

So, I bought a new kydex gun case tomorrow and I'm gonna open carry my rifle in it. With a fake supressor and a 203 launchef loaded with smoke rds while walking down the middle of knoxville wearing a plate carrier and a turbine while screaming randomly. Who is with me? :D

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Can't make it to Knoxville until late Sunday, but I'll be watching the local news. :popcorn:

Do the bonding companies give a discount for payment in a advance?

Edited by tnhawk
The ammo marketplace is fragile and this system has become corrupted by both greed and panic. The unscrupulous behavior by scalpers that many of us recognize or blame as being the start/cause of the shortage is NOT illegal, but it IS unethical. However, greed by resellers is no more responsible for the shortage than the hoarding mentality by many of us.

Having an ample supply of ammo on hand sounds like common sense to most of us, but if we didn't hoard it, there'd also be more on shelves for immediate consumers. Buying it to hold onto, because we love shooting and don't want to get caught without, is not consumption. Hoarding ammo, because it's not perishable, is taking ammo off the shelves that immediate consumers can't buy. Many of us are unapologetically sitting on thousands of rounds of one or more caliber that cannot be consumed by the normal market.

Add to that the fact that scalpers buy up all that we can't get OUR hands on and the problem becomes exponential. I hate resellers as much as the next guy, I'm just saying that at least scalper ammo is being consumed, not hoarded. The majority of buyers that are resorting to buying from scalpers will shoot it up soon after they buy it. We're blaming them for the scalpers having a market, but they are probably the purest members of the shooting community right now. They buy ammo, go out and shoot it and enjoy it more than I would. I suspect most of them were the type that bought their ammo at Walmart on the way to the shooting range before all this bovine scatology started.

For the record, I'm as guilty of hoarding as anyone else. I have enough ammo and reloading components to most likely ride out this shortage. How long it MAY last is responsible for me shooting less, though. Like others have said, I replace what I shoot immediately to keep my stash intact. Nonetheless, I can't help but wonder how much my stash (added to the thousands of people who do the same thing I do) contributes to the problem. However, in my defense, every single round of ammo that I have in my little treasure chest that makes me feel secure came from FTF and online purchases. Not one single round was scarfed up at Walmart. Edited by BigK

When I started "hoarding" it was long before the shelves went bare, I am talking about years before any of us had even heard of Obama. I will not be made to feel guilty because I planned ahead and someone else didn't. I shoot regularly and often shoot a lot more than most because I did plan ahead. I don't shoot 22 as much as before but I shoot all my centerfires 10x as much as before. I have zero guilt when I go to the range and mag dump 400 rounds of ammo that most can't replace. And I do it because I have plenty and that is because I planned ahead.

What is wrong with buying from Walmart? That is where I get most of my ammo because their ammo is cheaper than anywhere else and because it can still be found on the shelves. I walked into Walmart yesterday and found more 223 than I could ever want if I didn't reload and it was a lot cheaper than the prices of resellers so why not buy from Walmart. 

I have enough to likely last me at least a decade at my current rate of shooting because I did think ahead and just because someone has less ammo doesn't make me the bad person.

Sounds a lot like the story about the grasshopper and ants.

• Like 7

Ask me how many times I've gone shooting in the past 10 months.  It's embarrassing!  I haven't shot a single round because I don't want to burn up ammo I can't easily replace.   :(

I have not shot a round since I left Afghanistan last October. Except at the Qualification range last weekend.

Edited by Daniel

There is always the remote possibility that from my inaliloquent remarks that someone smarter than me ( 99% chance ) will use some adoxography that is beyond my mental comprehension just to make me fell small , stupid or plain ole dumb. Lethologica keeps me from saying what I really mean. Of course being a philosophunculist pretty much counts me out. The whole compliant of this thread is about the ability to quomodocunquize.  :cool:

Just my witzelsucht.

I sez now, whut perzackly is yous talkin bout there, boy? Nevuh hed much truck wid all thet book lerning ya'lls haz...

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with hoarding ammo or that anyone who does should feel guilty. I learned as much from the ants and grasshoppers story as anyone else. I have enough to make me feel comfortable right now too and I don't think there's anything wrong with it either.I'm only saying that like it or not, the scalpers aren't the only reason for the shortage and their buyers aren't going anywhere.

Quite a few people just learned to be ants and started hoarding recently. Their new demand added to what the scalpers are scarfing up to turn a profit on are too much for suppliers to keep up with right now. The ones buying from the scalpers are probably shooting theirs up, so their demand is less likely to go away and the scalpers will continue to profit.

In my neck of the woods, Walmart shelves are still bare thanks to the panic buying and scalpers. It's so bad that people who just want to shoot or replace what they shot up can't get their hands on any without sleeping in the parking lot or making 4 or 5 trips a week to Walmart to try and get lucky. Edited by BigK

If a person can't realize that paying $60 per brick of .22LR is overpaying, they probably need to have their head checked. If people weren't so gullible, maybe resellers couldn't have made so much money? That's my thoughts.

Well, for us long time shooting enthusiasts that may be true but I think there are a lot of new shooters out there who may not know any better.  It certainly appears that a lot of folks bought guns since this whole 'panic' started and there are likely a lot of new gun owners/shooters among them who never realized that a brick of .22LR SHOULD cost about $20.

Quite a few people just learned to be ants and started hoarding recently. Their new demand added to what the scalpers are scarfing up to turn a profit on are too much for suppliers to keep up with right now. The ones buying from the scalpers are probably shooting theirs up, so their demand is less likely to go away and the scalpers will continue to profit.

I think this part may be true but I believe your mistake - especially in the previous post - was including all of 'us' who have decent on-hand ammo supplies as part of the problem.  Sure, people buying up every box they can get their hands on, now, to put back on a shelf is likely adding to the shortage.  However, I really doubt that the eight or ten bricks of .22LR I have on my shelf - bricks that were purchased one or two at a time with such purchases spread out over the space of a couple of years - have any impact on the current market, whatsoever.  In fact, I would argue that it has a positive impact on the current market because those of us who built a little on-hand supply when ammo was readily available are probably not competing nearly so much for the limited supply, now.  I know that it has been just about a year since I bought any ,22LR ammo.  In fact, other than shotgun shells (which are readily available) and a single box of Remington Accu-tip WMR ammo, I really haven't bought much if any ammo in the past year or so.  For that matter, other than about 100 .44 Mag bullets (which I still haven't gotten around to loading) I haven't even bought any reloading supplies in about a year.  I am certainly not shooting as much as I did, before (although my onhand supply means I haven't had to stop, entirely) but I haven't been buying ammo.  Sure, I look at Walmart when I happen to be in there and if there were some on the shelf I'd probably buy a box and then go home and feel much more comfortable about shooting up some of the ammo on my shelf (using the new box to replace it.)  However, I haven't stood in line, gone in several times a week just trying to find ammo or showed up at 4 a.m. to try and get ahead of the profiteers - and I certainly have not bought any ammo from those profiteers.

Edited by JAB

Yep. My kid brother called me a few weeks ago when he found WWB 9mm for $25 a box. He wanted to know if I wanted him to get some for me. :screwy:

Wow.  I hope he was at least talking about the 100 round 'value packs'.  (Yeah, I know - probably not.)

Speaking of that, I think we are certainly going to see lasting price increases due to this nonsense.  Walmart just opened a new location in Sweetwater (opened last Wednesday.)  I was in there last night and they had the 100 round 'value packs' of Remington UMC .380 that I used to buy all day long for about $36 and they were priced at over $40 per box.  The same brand of .357 100 round 'value pack' JHP was nearly $60.  I left them for someone else.

When I asked one of the associates if they had even gotten any .22 in, he said that they had but that it was pretty much gone as soon as they opened their doors at 7:30 Wednesday morning.

Edited by JAB