Who here on TGO also owns a Jeep?

TGO David

• Administrator

Some of you may already know this, but back in 2011 I also started a forum for Jeep owners.  it's a great bunch of people and we've been VERY active hosting meet and greets, trail rides, scenic rides, wrench days, etc.

Come on over and join the fun.  It'll give you something else to spend your money on besides guns.  :D

www.tnjeeps.com

Just empty every pocket. I hope to buy one of the new 4 doors someday when I'm in a better fincial situation. Wanna add a long arm lift and some 35" tires. My last Jeep was a 76 Jeep Cherokee on 35" tires with a 401 V8. Never shoulda sold it but I'll have another one someday.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Guest Lester Weevils

2010 Wrangler. I like it fine. It is mainly stock except a couple of eye candy additions.

Can't find a web picture, but the recent quadratec catalog had a "giveaway contest" picture of a four-door wrangler, stretched with a full size pickup bed and a lift kit. Dang I'd like to have one of those. Lord knows what something like that would cost retail.

2002 Wrangler X.Had it for 9 trouble free years. 4.0 with a 5 speed.

Don't turn loose of that 4.0. I'd take one of those over either the 3.8 or the new 3.6L "Pentastar" engine. The 4.0 might be old tech, but it's a proven workhorse.

My 2012 JKU does alright with the 3.6 and it's a huge step up from the 3.8... but I'd take an old 4.0 I6 in a heartbeat.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I have had several over the years, I drove one in high school so they hold a place in my heart. There are two of them I would do just about anything to have back, a 06 4.0 with a April build date(one of the very last TJ's) and a 94 on 1ton axles and 38's.
DSCF1221.jpg

Edited by Patton
  • Like 2

That looks awful good for a "field find"!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

The guy advertised it on Franklin Co. Buy, Sell, Trade on Faceache for $1000. The pics he'd posted were about 3 years old, when it was last roadworthy. When I got to his address he took my out to the back field, told me he'd take $800 & threw me the key to his backhoe!

4 new tires, fresh oil, coolant in the radiator, 5 gallons of gas & a new battery later (along with judicious application of a steam cleaner) & I drove it 19 miles home!

Right now it's sat at H&T Offroad in Tullahoma getting a few 'tweeks' Nothing major. It's already had a 2½" lift (the original springs had been reversed, now replaced) & it's running a pretty sporty little 350 Katana through the standard 3-speed box.

It still needs a wiper setup, speedo cable, fuel & temp gauges & 'cosmetics' but I'm half tempted to leave it looking rough as a bear's ass.

• Administrator

What's the general consensus on the new Pentastar engine? I've heard it's a lot more efficient.

Our '12 has the Pentastar.  Good engine as far as I'm concerned but still inadequate once you start heaping on the weight.  More HP and Torque than the previous 3.8L and the torque comes on earlier in the power-band.

One of these days I'll do an engine swap.  I just can't see getting rid of it with as much as I've sunk into it now.  She's modded up exactly the way I want and it's been a long, carefully planned build.  All it needs now is more power.  :lol:

This is a shot of it a friend took recently.  It's changed a little since then but not much.

970892_665246493504333_1314908925_n.jpg

Our '12 has the Pentastar. Good engine as far as I'm concerned but still inadequate once you start heaping on the weight. More HP and Torque than the previous 3.8L and the torque comes on earlier in the power-band.

One of these days I'll do an engine swap. I just can't see getting rid of it with as much as I've sunk into it now. She's modded up exactly the way I want and it's been a long, carefully planned build. All it needs now is more power. :lol:

This is a shot of it a friend took recently. It's changed a little since then but not much.

Posted Image

I'm assuming you regeared? 4.88?

Have you done any computer module add-ons to try and boost the HP. Do they make a turbo or super charger for these? Just wondering if an engine swap is the only way to get a true boost in HP. What engine options would fit?
  • Administrator

I'm assuming you regeared? 4.88?

Have you done any computer module add-ons to try and boost the HP. Do they make a turbo or super charger for these? Just wondering if an engine swap is the only way to get a true boost in HP. What engine options would fit?

I stepped up to 4.56 gears.  The 4.88's are almost too much for 37's and the 3.6L engine but would have been my choice were it a 3.8L.

No computer mods while she's under warranty.  Drivetrain is about the only warranty I haven't voided yet.  :D  Ripp does have a repackaged Vortech SQ trim supercharger that they sell for the 3.6L Jeeps but I'm not crazy about how tight the installation is.   I haven't seen a turbo kit yet but this thing gets hot enough under the hood as is, so I don't think I'd really want to go that route.

Several engine swaps exist for the 2012+ JK.  Several Hemi swaps as well as a myriad of GM LS engine swaps.  When the time comes I'll probably go with an aluminum-block LS engine.

Wow, you have 37s and it can't handle 4.88? I had a 97 with the old 4.0 and 35's and 4.88 was like running stock. I didn't realize the new ones were so lacking on horsepower. I guess everyone trying to save every MPG possible. Don't get me wrong the 4.0 was pretty anemic as well, I guess I just had delusions that the new engine was more powerful. Edited by Lumber_Jack