Savage you don't see every day

graycrait

I can shoot it but can't sell, trade or give it away. This is a 1954 made Savage 24 .22LR/.410. It has had one shot fired through it back in 1954. Note the hang tag. This was what my father in law gave my mother in law for a wedding present! My MIL gave it to me to keep. FIL has been deceased 3 yrs.

Savage2422410_zps6a111b05.jpg

• Like 4

Very nice. I've been seeking out the Savage 24s for a number of years now. I have a few in various calibers/gauges, and like them very much. My latest quest is to find one in .22Hornet/20Gauge. I've been fortunate enough to have acquired the holy grail of Savage 24s...the Savage 24C...Campers Companion. I love these guns, and will remain in "hot pursuit" of that elusive Savage 24 chambered in .22Hornet/20Gauge.

I remember when those guns first hit the market and was the hottest selling gun a round. I anted one but could never save up enough money back then to buy one.   Very nice gun for sure and really a good keepsake to pass down through the family for sure.........jmho

Very nice.  I've always liked those.  I still kick myself for walking away and leaving a Savage 24C on the shelf at a gun shop about 4 years ago.  At the time I didn't know what it was and just thought it was "interesting".  After I came home and did a little research I was hooked, but of course it was gone before I could get back to the shop.  I may never run across another one, at least not at a price I could afford.

This is not my first rodeo with a Savage 24 .22/.410.  The first one I had was a DL with a pot metal cast receiver with rabbits and pheasants on it.  The hammer had already been changed over to the more reliable version.  The trigger pull was awful.  I took it apart and was fearsomely consternated on how to lighten the trigger pull and smooth it out.  When I asked the Savage 24 forum for help in getting it back together I was told "if I couldn't do it myself do what the rest of us do, put the parts in a bag and send it to a competent gunsmith."  That was my first trigger job on any firearm, I did get it back together myself.

Those are interesting guns.  Not long ago, my Aunt asked me if I would take my Uncles 24E 20/22Mag home with me and fix it up.  I was very familiar with the gun as he has used it to deer hunt forever.  Keep in mind he is 78 and I am 38.  What I didn't know was that my Aunt gave that gun to my Uncle as their wedding present 50 years ago and she wanted to have it cleaned up and fixed to give back to him this year for their anniversary.  No pressure on me.....

Anyway, this thing had duct tape holding the forearm on and cracked buttplate, worn wood, you name it.  This was a farm gun and had been used.  I have to say though, that after I fixed it back up with a new forearm locking mechanism, new buttplate, refinish of the wood, and just good cleaning of the metal, I was pretty impressed.  My experience with them wasn't with the pristine one you have, but I now kind of have a soft spot for them in general.  Your's is a very nice example.

• 3 weeks later...

You're a lucky man! My best friend has a .22/.410 and a 24F - T (.223/12). My favorite remains the 24V (.357mag/20) and for nearly thirty years I've been lucky enough to own the only one I've ever seen close up.

Again, congrats!

Timestepper, I hunted forever before I finally found a .357Mag/20Gauge. Paid way more than I wanted to for it. But the guy that was selling it, was selling it for a guy in a rest-home, dying of cancer, and he needed some money to pay some medical bills. I feel good about the purchase, and love the gun... in fact, I bought a .357Mag Ruger Blackhawk as a hunting companion to it.

• Like 1

Timestepper, I hunted forever before I finally found a .357Mag/20Gauge. Paid way more than I wanted to for it. But the guy that was selling it, was selling it for a guy in a rest-home, dying of cancer, and he needed some money to pay some medical bills. I feel good about the purchase, and love the gun... in fact, I bought a .357Mag Ruger Blackhawk as a hunting companion to it.

I paid, IIRC, about $128.00 for mine back in 1984. Saw it at a local sporting goods store, put it on lay away and didn't smoke for 3 months - literally put all my tobacco money in a piggy bank for 3 months. On the day I finally picked it up, after paying for the gun, I had enough left over to buy a box of shells for each barrel... and a pack of Marlboro. Been offered more than ten times what I paid for it and the only other owner it'll ever have besides me is the person I leave it to in my will.