Note To Self, Roadrage, Motorcycles, and Following someone Home, is a No No

runco

No this wasn't me, but its a good lesson.

http://www.wbir.com/story/news/local/east-knoxville/2013/12/16/developing-road-rage-leads-to-shooting-of-motorcyclist/4044821/

And for the ones too lazy to click on the link:

An apparent case of road rage led to a shooting Monday afternoon in East Knox County.

According to the Knox County Sheriff's Office, a man driving a Saturn SUV cut off two motorcycles as they exited I-640 onto Washington Pike around 4 pm. As the two motorcyclists continued behind the SUV, investigators said the the driver stopped and backed up, knocking one of the motorcycles over. A witness helped the driver get lift his motorcycle.

After that, the two motorcyclists and the witness followed the SUV in order to get the license plate number so they could report the incident to 911. The SUV stopped at a home at 2705 Mary Emily Lane. The motorcyclists and witness stopped in the street to get the information, but a man came out of the garage with a gun in both hands.

He began firing shots and yelling at the men. One of them was shot multiple times and was taken to UT Medical Center. The others were not injured.

The suspect is in custody and is being questioned by investigators.

The victim is family member of a friend. He will survive but it is going to take some time to recover. We don't know him, but him and his family are asking for prayers for all involved.

You have to wonder what in the world could be going through someones mind to do something like this. Will include the man in our prayers.

It's frustrating as a motorcyclist when you get cut off, it happens.  The insinuation that your phone call is more important than my life does get most motorcyclists blood flowing.  The smartest thing you can do is let it go.  This is a classic Zimmerman/Martin situation.  Both parties did things that they shouldn't have done which escalated the situation to the point that it did.  I would follow someone who had intentionally backed over a friend, I would not do it unarmed.

• Like 4

The motorcyclists and witness stopped in the street to get the information, but a man came out of the garage with a gun in both hands.

He began firing shots and yelling at the men. One of them was shot multiple times and was taken to UT Medical Center. The others were not injured.

The suspect is in custody and is being questioned by investigators.

Unless there is something more to the story that we don’t know yet, the shooter will be headed to prison. The media isn't always real interested in getting the full story.

Unless there is something more to the story that we don’t know yet, the shooter will be headed to prison. The media isn't always real interested in getting the full story.

Probably, but I'm interested in who called 911 and when. I mean, it sounds unlikely that this guy spontaneously decided to start messing with bikers. There has to be more there. For all we know he accidentally cut off one of the bikers (it happens) and they started acting in a threatening manner towards him and he couldn't get away.... it's kinda hard to shake a bunch of motorcycles in a SUV, as is evident by that incident in New York. Then to have those motorcycles follow you all the way home? A jury is gonna have to be convinced that he wasn't in fear for his life from someone who had not only acted in a threatening manner but followed him back to his house.

Or this guy just decided that he would start messing with bikers that day, I dunno. I'm guessing there is a lot more to the story.

Probably, but I'm interested in who called 911 and when. I mean, it sounds unlikely that this guy spontaneously decided to start messing with bikers. There has to be more there. For all we know he accidentally cut off one of the bikers (it happens) and they started acting in a threatening manner towards him and he couldn't get away.... it's kinda hard to shake a bunch of motorcycles in a SUV, as is evident by that incident in New York. Then to have those motorcycles follow you all the way home? A jury is gonna have to be convinced that he wasn't in fear for his life from someone who had not only acted in a threatening manner but followed him back to his house.

Or this guy just decided that he would start messing with bikers that day, I dunno. I'm guessing there is a lot more to the story.

Indeed. There usually is.

Road rage incidents usually require threatening and/or stupid acts on the part of both parties involved.

I get "cut off", "boxed in", nearly run over by assholes running RED lights and suffer other idiotic acts by stupid, inconsiderate or totally clueless drivers...the best thing I can do for my own mental health (and blood pressure) is to get on with life.

• Like 4

According to the Knox County Sheriff's Office, a man driving a Saturn SUV cut off two motorcycles as they exited I-640 onto Washington Pike around 4 pm. As the two motorcyclists continued behind the SUV, investigators said the the driver stopped and backed up, knocking one of the motorcycles over. A witness helped the driver get lift his motorcycle.

That right there, tells me a few things, :

a - suv driver cut them off when they were already exiting

b - the suv driver stopped and backed up thinking he was being followed, either it was someone who barely know how to drive a manual car or dude did it on purpose

c- bikers have witnesses

Follow on lines these things come up in my head

d - sure they followed to the guys home

e- dude came out blazing - Why? Why not call the Cops if they were parked on a public road, maybe they had called the cops after getting hit (hit and run), Why come out shooting?

Too many questions that need to be answered..   Either way dude dropped the ball and probably going to sit in jail for a little while with Gunther D. "Heavy" Nutts

As usual, the media can't do a lost dog report without screwing it up. Follow the charges. I can only speculate that the numbers on the license plate were probably pretty big. How far do you have to follow somebody to get their tag number?

That right there, tells me a few things, :

a - suv driver cut them off when they were already exiting

b - the suv driver stopped and backed up thinking he was being followed, either it was someone who barely know how to drive a manual car or dude did it on purpose

c- bikers have witnesses

Follow on lines these things come up in my head

d - sure they followed to the guys home

e- dude came out blazing - Why? Why not call the Cops if they were parked on a public road, maybe they had called the cops after getting hit (hit and run), Why come out shooting?

Too many questions that need to be answered..   Either way dude dropped the ball and probably going to sit in jail for a little while with Gunther D. "Heavy" Nutts

Yep. Too many questions. About all you can do is take note of who went to jail. I'm sure the cops were a lot better at gathering details than the "journalist".

Haven't seen anything about charges, just that he was being questioned. I'm sure charges are coming but I have a feeling they won't make it to court or it will be plead down considerably. This sounds like a case of hotheaded morons on both sides. It doesn't make sense that this guy just started a fight with random strangers.

Rodney Lee Scott charged with 2 counts of attempted 1st degree murder, per WBIR/TV.  Also a search of the Memphis Commercial shows not HCP.  With the information at hand, and without any "Paul Harvey" version seems like valid charges....

There you go. I trust that lots more than the ramblings of some media goober. Like has been mentioned before, either side could have prevented it if they weren't so busy being stupid.

• Like 1
[quote name="mikegideon" post="1080297" timestamp="1387298524"]There you go. I trust that lots more than the ramblings of some media goober. Like has been mentioned before, either side could have prevented it if they weren't so busy being stupid.[/quote] Yeah. Following a car to their residence is never a good idea. It doesn't seem like a justified shooting in any sense of the phrase, but sound minds were not prevailing by any party.
  • Like 1

I can tell you one thing I have learned recently while driving on highways and even city streets. Everyone always seems to be in a hurry to get where ever they are going and drive like idiots that are late getting there. More and more rude people driving now than ever I think. I do my best to stay out of most of their way. I have noticed that while trying to pull out of side streets onto main highways and you look and a car or truck is pretty far off and seems safe to pull out. I have learned to look at least 2 or 3 times to check the speed of approaching vehicles. The speed limit maybe 35 but they will be doing 50 plus so you need to make sure they are not speeding before you pull out. I'm not sure what has happened to road manners but they sure don't happen much any more................jmho

• Like 2
[quote name="10-Ring" post="1080331" timestamp="1387302527"]It sounds like the suspect forfietd any claim he had to self defense when he exited his home to shoot an unarmed man that was not on his property and not making any threatening gestures.[/quote] Well to be fair. We don't know if any "gestures" were made or not. Or threatening words, or anything similar. I still don't believe it's justified shooting but there is a lot of information that hasn't been released.
[quote name="billyscott" post="1080334" timestamp="1387303176"]According to this story the victim was shot three times in the back. So much for self defense. [url="http://www.wkrn.com/story/24239205/road-rage-incident-leads-to-attempted-murder-charge"]http://www.wkrn.com/story/24239205/road-rage-incident-leads-to-attempted-murder-charge[/url][/quote] So far no claims to self defense have been made. I'd say temporary insanity would be more defendable.

Yikes.  That's not gonna end well. 

Following the guy all the way to his house and stopping outside was stupid, but not as stupid as what happened next.

One thing's for sure. The odds of the guy being armed increased dramatically when he made it into his house. The folks on the bike weren't just gathering information either. They had his address when he pulled in the driveway. No reason to hang around.

• Like 1