New 100 Dollar Bills

runco

In my household, we live in the debit card world and seldom have cash, let alone 100 dollar bills on hand unless I am on the hunt for a new gun. For Christmas we had some family to give our kids money, and we received several new 100 bills that came out this year. These are cool. Have you seen them?

http://www.newmoney.gov/uscurrency/redesigned100.htm

http://new100s_zpse90ae4cb.jpg

Edited by Runco

I've always wondered why they don't put a time limit on old bills when new designs are issued.  All a counterfeiter has to do is keep making the old ones.  With multimedia so prevalent today, getting the word out that old bills should be exchanged at banks within six months or so is not difficult, nor is compliance.

Problem with them is that the new band going through the middle is much thicker than the rest of the bill so you can't get the money bands to stay on tight.  The $2k bands aren't too bad, but the $10k bands slide off if you handle them a lot.

• Like 1

Problem with them is that the new band going through the middle is much thicker than the rest of the bill so you can't get the money bands to stay on tight.  The $2k bands aren't too bad, but the $10k bands slide off if you handle them a lot.

Must be nice to experience this problem firsthand. LOL

• Like 2

A lot comes in, but a lot goes right back out too.

My uncle used to do $60k-$100k/night in business at the track, but after all the payouts and expenses, sometimes he would end up -$10k out of pocket depending on what happened.

Edited by Sam1

If you keep the $10K ones sealed  in the little plastic bags that the federal reserve ships them in, it is not a problem.

When I first saw them I thought it was a new kind of Monopoly Money from a game. They say they are harder to counterfeit but with all the new colors on it a high end color copy machine could probably make them. I still like the old ones better and I am surprised ole Ben was not replaced with Barry's picture................ :rock:  :rock: After all he is the one spending it faster than they can print it.............jmho

Edited by bersaguy

If you keep the $10K ones sealed in the little plastic bags that the federal reserve ships them in, it is not a problem.

That's a few levels over us, we don't deal with pallets of money... Although the way things are headed, we may be grocery shopping with wheelbarrows of cash before too long.
[quote name="bersaguy" post="1084075" timestamp="1387987710"]When I first saw them I thought it was a new kind of Monopoly Money from a game. They say they are harder to counterfeit but with all the new colors on it a high end color copy machine could probably make them. I still like the old ones better and I am surprised ole Ben was not replaced with Barry's picture................ :rock: :rock: After all he is the one spending it faster than they can print it.............jmho[/quote]they have already been counterfeited. Seems pointless to add all those features when one week later they can be duplicated. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 1

they have already been counterfeited. Seems pointless to add all those features when one week later they can be duplicated. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

If they would go back to making coins out of precious metals that had an actual value, the whole thing would be a moot point.

• Like 1
Guest TankerHC
Paper money will not be around a whole lot longer. News article last week. The Euro zone countries expect to be using plastic money by 2015. We won't be far behind.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I got a couple thousand dollars worth a while back at the bank. I handed them back and asked them for some real money. I told them I didn't need any Dutch marks!

The Dutch used Guilders, not Marks, before switching to the Euro.

Paper money will not be around a whole lot longer. News article last week. The Euro zone countries expect to be using plastic money by 2015. We won't be far behind.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Australia switched to polymer bills in 1996. It lasts longer in circulation than paper. The UK is starting the switch too with their 5 pound note.

....... They are pretty nice, but sure didn't change how fast they disappeared! :rant:

My wife wanted me to give here change for one a few days ago.  I got rid of it the same day ( 9mm and 45 acp ammo).

Edited by tnhawk

I am not even sure they are being printed on the same paper material money was printed on back years ago which was actually a  cloth material from a lint waste by product from the Levi Strauss company. Since Levi's are no longer made in USA I don't know if the Feds can get the material any longer...............jmho

I am not even sure they are being printed on the same paper material money was printed on back years ago which was actually a  cloth material from a lint waste by product from the Levi Strauss company. Since Levi's are no longer made in USA I don't know if the Feds can get the material any longer...............jmho

Probably made in China now.

For some strange reason, I never seem to have this problem...

Guest TankerHC

If anyone does have an extra pallet or two sitting around getting in the way, I am sure the bands will not be a problem and I can find a forklift somewhere. No problem at all.