Ooh, it hurt so good!

Due to a silly OCD thing, I've always tried ridiculously hard to keep my carry guns looking brand new. I really went to extreme measures, with the exception of my LCP. While I couldn't bring myself to treat it like a red-headed stepchild (nothing against all you Gingers), I was able to bring myself to treat it like a blonde-haired, blue-eyed stepchild. Pampered, but not overly.

Anyway, someone recently created a thread (maybe just mentioned in a thread), talking about how a carry weapon was a tool, not a safe queen. I attempted to subdue my OCD long enough to give this some thought. While it hasn't been easy, I have made some progress.

With some trepidation, I recently began carrying my Smith & Wesson M&P 40 Pro Series on a regular basis. I was determined to treat it like a tool, attempting to be a little less cautious about bumping it into something, or otherwise marring the finish. 

Today, I was successful!!!

It is officially scratched. I'll admit, I have since attempted to see if I could rub it out (come on...baby steps), but it is there to stay.

1e3p.jpg

Edited by TripleDigitRide

My maternal granddad was an odd duck, spent a lot of time with him, taught me to drive and shoot and whatnot.

I was going on 6 years old, one of the few distinct memories I have of that era, when he bought a brand new '53 Pontiac (which 10 years later became my first car).

He said, "Dickie Boy, c'mere I'll show ya something." Had a small ball peen hammer in his hand. Went around to left rear wheel (had those nifty old half wheel covers in well), and smack!, put a small dent on bottom of it.

"Why'dja do that, Grandaddy?"

"So I don't have to worry about the first scratch I get on it, Dickie Boy."

Grand ole screwball feller, my granddad.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 5

OS, you reminded me of a story. I will TRY to be as succinct as possible.

Back in 1957, two legendary musicians, Jimmy Day and Buddy Emmons, both steel guitar and bass players, got sick of bass players that couldn't play the right part. They decided to go in together and buy a brand new '57 Fender Precision bass, and each of them would play bass for the other. That way, they knew the part would be right.

They took it to Tootsie's bar, and set it on a table, admiring their joint purchase. They were drinking, and one says to the other, "I wonder which one of us is going to put the first ding in it?" They ponder that, and one of them takes his glass, and BOING, smacks the bass and says, "There! First ding." Well, the other, not wanting to be left out, did it, too.

By the end of a night of drinking and dinging, their brand new bass was basically a pile of matchsticks on the table at Tootsie's.

• Like 5
[quote name="Sam1" post="1089612" timestamp="1388939016"]That is wear??? :rofl: Don't ever come over to look at the ones in my safe cause you may have a seizure as soon as the door opens.[/quote] It's worse than wear. It's a scratch (albeit a fairly light scratch) in the finish. The wear hasn't begun. Like I said...baby steps. :lol:

That's where buying used guns comes in handy, ya ain't got to worry about that... I hate the thought of marring my guns, but if it's more than a range toy, it's gonna happen, unfortunately.