Do you go through phases?

Parrothead

When i was first eligible for my carry permit, i picked up a G26 and never looked back. I have always been semi-auto guy. I have owned (and still enjoy) several pistols of various makes. However, my thinking has shifted.

I used to think revolvers were heavy, low capacity options aimed at older folks. Now, i look at the older revolvers and admire the craftsmanship that went into production.I have a greater appreciation for the reliability of the revolver platform. My plastic striker fired pistols have lost their luster. I find myself carrying my LCR more and more. Last time i went to the range, i have more revolvers in the bag than pistols.

Now i don't think i'm ready to give up 18 rounds of 9mm by the bed for a six shooter. I haven't had that much kool-aid.......yet. Do you think this is just a phase? Surely i'll come back to my senses........... right?

:sick: :panic:

Phases plague those of us who can't afford all options Sure it's a phase, as most gun urges. I usually research it to death and then try to put it aside for a bit and let it simmer. Then if it lingers I'll swap or buy. Guns is a unique hobby where the items retain all or most of their value for a long time. Sent from my iPad using Voodoo magic Edited by Lumber_Jack
  • Like 1

Semiautos or wheelies?? Why? Do you think you can't have/like/appreciate both?

I started shooting with my dad on a S&W K-frame Model 48. Then as a young know-it-all, decided that it was outdated and I needed an autoloader. I just couldn't have anything else.

That didn't last too long though. I came back to revolvers as a range toy and really began to appreciate them again.

I have both kinds now, and though I personally prefer an autoloader for carry most of the time; I'll never willingly be without some kind of revolver. They are just too much fun for me.

• Like 1

I go through phases but I've had "Revolver Fever" for awhile now too. I enjoy shooting revolvers more than semi-autos and think they are sexier weapons. If a second mortgage on the house wasn't required to purchase one, a S&W TR8 would be my bedside gun. If 8 rounds of .357 doesn't get the job done its likely nothing will.     

Guest TankerHC
I went through a phase that started a couple of years ago. I wanted a lever action like my 94 I had as a kid but didn't want to pay for a 94 so bought a 336 and took it to the range brought it home and put it in the safe. Before I knew it they had multiplied like rabbits. That phase is still going. I also have more than one 94 now. If i had known then that lever guns were manufactured in as many calibers as they were and are i would have never started that addiction. ..i mean phase.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
I'm simple when it comes to pistols. I bought the exact 1911 I've always wanted and always will want, then bought a Glock 19 because it is the best jack of all trades pistol. Then I bought a pocket .380 for use when needing extremely discreet carry. I'm happy with everything and likely won't buy another utility pistol again. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL, talk about phases. I started with DA revolvers then went through dozens of revolvers and pistols, TGo'rs have seen a lot of my choices, but I didn't join until after my CZ phase.  I suspect I have had 20 some Glocks, yet still have my first G19 and classify it and my Keltec .32 as my daily carry. My wife has a G26 she has had for 7 years.  I love the machinery of revolvers and can shoot DAO revolvers pretty darn well.  However after taking a snubbie defensive pistol class I got rid of my revolvers and just use Glocks for a SYA pistol.  I sort of regret letting two big pistols go, a Dan Wesson Pointman 9mm and a Sig X-5 Tactical, but they were too big for practical carry. I really liked the HK P7 and the CZ 85 Combat I had. I have had quite a few 1911s and although I love the trigger and simplicity I can live with the weight.  I would like to run into a DW .22 revolver some day, but my Sig Trailside and Ruger 2245 suffice in that category.  There are guns I like the aesthetics better and can shoot a bit better on the range than a Glock, but none I trust more.  As far as the Keltec 32? At 6.6 oz empty and with ball ammo it is what it is.  The one I have in hardchrome has never failed.  I wish someone could design a really small Keltec .32 sized .22LR. The Bobcat ain't it in size or reliability. The Jennings J22 wasn't quite "it" either.  So it remains, G19 and KT32.

Guest LRJETCAP

Always considered myself a semi auto guy until I got my hands on my first Colt Python.  As stated above.....I think the older you get, the more appreciation you have for the craftsmanship that went into making the older six shooters-

My first handgun I bought was a Glock 26. I grew up shooting all kinds. I have just about owned one of everything. I got revolver fever for a while for the single actions. Vaqueros, Ubertis, blackhawks and so on. I carried a LCR for a while. I have carried a Glock 19 for several years and will most likely EDC Glocks from now on. But I do enjoy them all. I want to get into rifles a little more. My next purchase will be a Rem 700 in .308 and will put a new stock, trigger and all the goodies on it. Edited by glowdotGlock

I've always been a revolver guy... but when I started carrying, I had to have a auto, and more specifically, a Ruger LC9. I carry that only sometimes now and find myslef carrying my S&W 642 a whole lot more.

There's no point to this post... but I felt compelled to type it. But, I also think that there are certain guns for certain conditions. I ended up buying my first Glock (17) because one day I went to a store to get something to drink and felt terribly outgunned by the other customers. Not that I knew or thought they had guns, but if something would have happened... my little 642 wasn't going to be of any help. Maybe I was just a little paranoid. Having said that... I now avoid unfamiliar/scary areas of town if I can help it.

I am currently going through the same thing as the Op. I use to not think twice about wheel guns. Now I'm obsessed looking at them online all the time. I just bought me a SP101 and love it. Is it heavy for only 5 shots, yes, but something just feels right that is unexplainable. Now I'm wanting a GP100 or Smith mid size frame. I was surprised that the revolver trigger pull had no negative effect on my Glock shooting ability. Probably because the SP101 trigger is 164lbs.

I reserve revolvers for possible camping/hikeing trips. I want a large caliber in a wheelgun vs my G26/19. Other than that, it's usually the G26 almost 95% of the time year round. Very rarely I get the hankerin' for a change in weapon when I switch to the G19.

I am a revolver guy.  I have a few semiautos and will likely hold on to them but never really went through a phase of liking semiautos better - I just saw some advantages for some situations.  There are a few more semiautos I wouldn't mind having but, honestly, if I never buy another semiauto handgun and only buy revolvers I will probably be just as happy.

Heck, I have a revolver (.357) as my bedside handgun.  If I am awakened in the middle of the night and have to reach for a defensive handgun while still half asleep, bleary eyed and with the lack of coordination that often goes along with it, I don't want to have to worry about limp wristing, holding the gun so that the brass can eject cleanly without jamming the action or having to do tap/rack drills.  If the assailant is on top of me before I can fire, I don't want to have to worry about the gun jamming because of a shot fired at contact distance with the muzzle pressed into an assailant's gut.  I want to aim, pull the trigger and repeat if necessary - and if that doesn't work then maybe the 12 gauge pump I also keep close to hand will.

Edited by JAB

For carry and defensive purposes I have found it best to avoid "phase" changes. I want to maintain ingrained handling and muscle memory.

I don't take it quite as far as that but this is the reason that any semiauto I carry will either be DAO or DA/SA so that the first shot, at least, will be as much like shooting a DA revolver as possible.  That is another reason I am not likely to ever carry anything like a 1911 or anything that is carried 'cocked and locked' with a light, single action trigger on the first pull as well as the reason I want hammer fired (even if it is an internal hammer) and no striker fired for carry.

Edited by JAB

My primary carry is a 1911, secondary carry is a Sig (either a 220 or a M11A1)

Sometimes I'll feel tacticool and carry one of my HKs, It depends on how I feel, and whats on the schedule for that day.

I practice with all of them, so I'm comfortable carrying any of them.

I am guilty of the phases too. My current phase has me reaching for my XD-s 45 on work days, because it's easy to conceal and comfy all day. Outside of work and on weekends I can dress any way I want, so I carry my CZ P-01. Regardless of which primary I'm carrying, like graycrait, my lil Kel-Tec P-32 is always there too.